where am I going wrong?/

Options
I started this about a month ago. Have lost inches in my arms and legs with some weight training but have not budged a pound on the scale. I am eating between 1200-1350 calories per day. (or trying very hard to ) Why am i not losing pounds?? Iwa nted to lose 25-30

Replies

• vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Measurements would be the key if you're lifting weights. Muscle weighs more than fat, so while you may not be losing weight, you're toning and/or building muscle, thus not losing on a scale.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree with vapor. You may want to change it up a lil bit. Do weight training like 3 days a week and do cardio on your off days.
    96795 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a nurse
    very busy on work days. the weight training is new and I am doing it 3 days a week. I like to walk and try to do that 2 times weekly. My question is when will I eventually see a change on the scale?
  • sarahshirah
    Options
    try to aim for 1/2 cup serving sizes of most everything you eat or be almost religous of eating the recomended serving size i did that and lost 7lbs in about 3 weeks without really trying other than walking
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    you need to add cardio to your work out routines. no cardio = no weight loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Disagree....

Diet is the most important factor in whether you lose or not.

But, why worry about the scale when you're losing inches? The number is really irrelevant....you could lose 10lbs of fat but gain 10lbs of muscle, but be the same weight with a completely different physique.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost one pound since I started weight lifting (a few months now) BUT I've gone down a pants size and I've lost inches in my waist, arms and legs. People tell me now I look like I've lost weight more than they did when I actually lost the weight. The more muscles you have the more calories you burn at rest.

And I agree with what someone else said. Add some cardio in there and you'll see the pounds come off and when the pounds come off you'll see muscle definition.
  • vaporhockey83
    Options
    It could be fluctuation and your muscles are also going to be absorbing more water with the weight training. As long as you have a deficit of 3500 calories a week, you should lose a pound if you did nothing but follow MFP and your goals set. Definitely not accusing you of it, but are you logging completely accurately? I invested in a food scale and it's helped a lot. I was eating more than I thought I was. Innocent mistake. Another innocent mistake I made a lot was weighing in daily. I did just these past few days. Yesterday, I was 185.6 and today I was 187.4. It goes up and down a lot. As long as it's within five pounds of where I think I am, I don't worry. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, but I would try a month of taking measurements and see if you're losing there. Sometimes the scale doesn't reflect the positive changes your body is molding into.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What type of exercises are you doing? Did you add these within the last month (your post seems to indicate this, but just confirming). Have your measurements changed?
  • vaporhockey83
    Options
    I haven't lost one pound since I started weight lifting (a few months now) BUT I've gone down a pants size and I've lost inches in my waist, arms and legs. People tell me now I look like I've lost weight more than they did when I actually lost the weight. The more muscles you have the more calories you burn at rest.

And I agree with what someone else said. Add some cardio in there and you'll see the pounds come off and when the pounds come off you'll see muscle definition.

Agreed with this with the weight lifting. I was mainly dieting to get near my goal weight. I had some compliments come in. Once I began lifting, my weight really hasn't budged, but I'm getting more compliments about my change than I had before. Again, same weight as I was before (after the dieting), just more muscle mass and tone compared to flab. Focusing mainly on weight lifting and good diet, I'm wearing pants I hadn't worn in five years.