No time for the gym :(

Options
I have been going to the gym doing my insanity workouts, but I am going to be babysitting 10 hrs a day and will be starting school in 2 months, I was sooo ready to start losing weight and get in shape and be healthy, but how am i going to do that not going to the gym?? I have 5lb weights and a jillian michaels 30 day shred at home and a set of stairs, but i dont know if its possible to lose weight with just that, its hard as it is! I could use some advice please, i will be trying to go to the gym as time allows, but i doubt there will be time..please help!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Each level of the 30 Day Shred is 20 minutes. You can combine levels 1 & 2 to get a great workout. Or levels 1, 2, and 3 together.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    I have lost 28 pounds since mid august and until recently the only exercising I did was the walking I do every day at work and I have never belonged to a gym. I do pushups, situps, etc at home using weights now too.
  • shintowa
    Options
    Any exercise is good exercise. I live an hour from my closest gym so all I do is at home workouts. It's amazing what you can do if you get creative. Remember also that humans did not have gyms until recently, and we did just fine without them.

If the kids that you are babysitting are anything like the kids I used to babysit for, 10 hours a day is like a marathon. Nothing but running after, non-stop standing, carrying kids that fall asleep... Man, that was intense.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you keep yourself within your calorie goals and do what workouts you can - even 20 min a day - you should still be able to lose weight. If you are really concerned about keeping momentum going and are going from a lot of activity to less activity, you may want to reduce your calories - for example from 'one pound a week' to 'one and a half pounds a week' for a while
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Why do you go to gym to do Insanity? Can you do your Insanity workout in the morning before the kids come by? My schedule is erratic and I sometimes work long days so I have to workout early. Get it out of the way.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym ) but I have managed to lose weight and inches, by watching what I eat. I just started doing the 30 day shred, and have been doing various work out videos on demand plus trying to walk...and I don't' have a set time I do it just whenever the kids corporate. You'll get a schedule down
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    I dont have the discs, they are to expensive, i have a free gym, i live on a military post, and they have the insanity program, thats why i go there, and the kids will be coming by at 6am, and i have a daughter of my own so theres no way i can go before, but if time allows i will try to go after, but thats if im lucky
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Im glad theres people who have been able to accomplish something at home, that makes me feel a little better, i will def have to keep my head in the game tho the motivation is all up to me now, lol
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

The only thing I do at the gym is run. I do everything else at home. I have some weights and bands I use for strength exercises, I do push ups (or at least I try to do them), I do abs at home, and yoga. I actually used to do everything at home including running outdoors but the weather isn't ideal for that right now. It can be done!

L.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I'm going to be dealing with the same thing in a few months. Right now I'm staying with my parents (DH is gone, military) so my mom watches the kids for me to go to the gym daily. Once DH returns and we PCS in January, I'm going to be doing all my work outs at home, plus adjusting to three kids and new area. I plan to use nap time and do as much as possible and am also considering buying an elliptical or stair climber.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I dont have the discs, they are to expensive, i have a free gym, i live on a military post, and they have the insanity program, thats why i go there, and the kids will be coming by at 6am, and i have a daughter of my own so theres no way i can go before, but if time allows i will try to go after, but thats if im lucky

Ah I see. Well, try just doing your best you can from memory of Insanity. As others have noted you can be successful working out at home. Even before I started P90X, or even heard of it, I installed a pull-up bar in my hallway, had some dumbbells, and did push-ups just to keep in fairly decent shape.
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have two boys aged 5 and 7, work full time and have a husband who's 6000 miles away half the year so gym membership is out for me! I take the boys for walks and go out on their bikes, have joined a karate class with them now they are old enough and do exercise DVDs when I have the energy at the end of the day (which is getting more often now they are a bit older!)
    If you really want to do this you can find a way. There are loads of free workouts on Youtube to pick and choose form so you don't get bored.
    Don't let this be the excuse that trips you up.

Best of luck

Di