Pilates for Hunched/Slouched Shoulders?

Options
I have two spots on my body that I could definitely live without! My love handles and my slouched shoulders! I am working on the love handles by working out and losing the fat, but I am not sure how to handle the hunched back. It isn't extreme, in fact, I don't think other people notice it too much. But I would love to have the straight back and great posture of a super model!

I have heard that pilates can help not only strengthen the core, but loosen the muscles that are pulling my shoulders forward. Is this my best option? Are there other things I can do that might be more beneficial?

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You need to strech your chest and strengthen your upper back to help correct your shoulders. I find rowing actions assist with this, ie bent over row, seated row etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Hunched shoulders are due to mostly to weak rear deltoids and upper back muscles and bad posture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • revolutionchick
    revolutionchick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You need to strech your chest and strengthen your upper back to help correct your shoulders. I find rowing actions assist with this, ie bent over row, seated row etc.
    Good advice and also ab workouts which help strengthen the back. Cardio will also help you burn fat overall to help reduce your love handles v
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A great stretch to help improve shoulder flexibility (and combat rounded shoulders) is the wall shoulder girdle stretch.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/PectoralisMinor/Wall.html

I warn you, if you really have rounded, inflexible shoulders, this stretch will be VERY uncomfortable and difficult. Don't force it, it will definitely get better with time.
  • Momof2boys2009
    Options
    Reply below
  • Momof2boys2009
    Options
    A great stretch to help improve shoulder flexibility (and combat rounded shoulders) is the wall shoulder girdle stretch.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/PectoralisMinor/Wall.html

I warn you, if you really have rounded, inflexible shoulders, this stretch will be VERY uncomfortable and difficult. Don't force it, it will definitely get better with time.

Thank you for the link Tigersword!

I tried doing it the last couple days, and all I can get to touch the wall is the back of my upper arms. What should I be doing to get the flexibility of my whole arm touching the wall? Do I just keep practicing? How long should I hold my arms there? I can really feel the tightness in my chest and my armpits.

How soon should I be able to start feeling those muscles loosen up and notice a difference in my shoulders?
  • tigersword
    Options
    Give it a few weeks. A couple minutes a day. I usually do about 30 seconds at a time, but since any wall will do, I do it a few times per day, anytime I'm just kind of standing around. I find it's easiest to start with your arms straight up, I can usually get my entire arm flat on the wall there, then as I slide them down the wall my wrist usually comes off the wall. That's when I reverse the motion. With time you'll find you'll be able to bring your arms down lower before you lose the wall.

Remember, this is a dynamic stretch, your arms should be (slowly) moving up and down the wall the entire time.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It's not something you're going to be able to do until it's "fixed" and then you can stop. This is your new normal, and you'll probably have to do those stretches and posture strengthening exercises forever. At least, that's true for me.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hunched shoulders are due to mostly to weak rear deltoids and upper back muscles and bad posture.

IDEA Fitness member
    I agree with what you're saying, but the shortened muscles and connective tissues in the chest need to be lengthened as well or you're driving with your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time. My shoulders fare *much* better when I stretch my pecs adequately.
  • tigersword
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    I agree with what you're saying, but the shortened muscles and connective tissues in the chest need to be lengthened as well or you're driving with your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time. My shoulders fare *much* better when I stretch my pecs adequately.
    That would be the "bad posture" part of his comment.
  • desolate_angel
    desolate_angel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have Scheuermann's disease and what the doctors recommended for me were hamstring stretches, corner stretches, putting both hands behind your back and trying to straighten them, and a lot of stretches for lower back like back extensions, superman, pelvic tilts, knees to chest,one I think they called cat and camel... They told me to avoid exercises that brought my shoulders forward. But if your spine's not deformed then maybe that last bit won't apply to you.
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    i found that Good Mornings and Squats balanced out my posture, and properly stretching my arms and chest/pecs definitely helped that hunched back syndrome.