Substantial weight loss the first couple of weeks?

Options
Hi all, just a quick question on a concern I've had for a little while. I started my life style change on November 1st and the first three weeks I lost a substantial amount of weight quickly like 10 lbs a week or so. At first I was a little worried because I didn't understand why I was losing so much weight and I was scared it wouldn't be healthy, but I knew I was eating the proper amount of calories (thanks to My Fitness Pal) so I was really stumped on why/how I could possible lose that much weight every week . After those three weeks though I slowed down to a healthy 2 lbs a week which I'm still totally stoked about, but my question is has anyone else experienced this? If so do you know why we lose weight so quickly at first and then it slows back down? I'm assuming because of water weight or something but I honestly have no idea. Be great if anyone had a opinion on the matter. Thanks so much for reading this all lol :laugh:

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Some of it could be water and glycogen loss but I have never heard of anything like 36lbs in 6 weeks.
  • MrfreddieV
    Options
    Pretty normal and they do say it is water weight. I lost 20 pounds the first 4 weeks and only have a pound loss in a little over a week. I have been out of my water pill for 5 days so hope to find I have a little more of a loss. (High blood presser ) slows win the race. Just stick with it. Good luck
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It's definitely on the high side of what I have seen. Could you make your diary public, please?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Based on the amount of weight you have to lose it's not that unusual or severe (albeit a bit higher/more extended than usual).

About 75% (off the top of my head) of weight loss in the first couple of weeks is water weight. Your reduced calories usually mean reduced carbs, which in turn means a drop in water weight (and glycogen). You will probably also have less food weight in you also.

If you are losing at about 2lb a week, that is fine - I would up your intake if you continue at the prior pace though.