Things that make you go, Hmmmm???

Options

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    why is it called a 'near miss' when you did actually miss and what you mean is it was a 'near hit' ?

the same reason a glass is either halffull or half empty. are you a pesemist or an optomist
    The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Does that make me an engineer?
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I did not know that the reason birds sing in the morning is because they need to use the stored energy they didn't need overnight. And that they don't sing in the winter because it's colder then and they already used it all for the night.

That just changed my life
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Caramel. Mmmmm...

Oh, you said "Hmmmm." Nvm.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    A couple of schools up here just canceled tonight's sports and other programs because of the THREAT of snow.

WE LIVE IN WISCONSIN!!!!! MAN UP, IT'S NOT EVEN SNOWING YET!!!!!

Oh... sorry, I just went a little loco, didn't I...

.....live WI too.....first little bit snow is chaos...everybody here has short term memory loss...give it a month...they adjust accordingly when we're buried in it...

You have no idea how appropriate this comment was for me...

CT here.

You'd think it was the apocalypse or something like that. ZOMG! I need my bread, milk and eggs NOW because, you know, we're always snowed in until spring.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    A couple of schools up here just canceled tonight's sports and other programs because of the THREAT of snow.

WE LIVE IN WISCONSIN!!!!! MAN UP, IT'S NOT EVEN SNOWING YET!!!!!

Oh... sorry, I just went a little loco, didn't I...

Odus...isn't that like something they do in New York??? That doesn't happen in the midwest...WTF!
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I read that all the characters in Winne the Poo represent mental disorders. I was like...Hmmmmmm?
  • misterwah
    misterwah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How do you indicate "zero" in roman numerals?
    Kill Caesar?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Artificial raspberry flavoring = made from beaver butt.
    Definitely made me go hmmmm??? But I still like my beaver butt flavored drinks.
  • misterwah
    Options
    Tell me more...

What is the plural of penis?

Joy
    Now THAT was funny.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of something from a blog post yeaaaaaaars ago:

English is a Crazy Language
    by Richard Lederer

Let's face it -- English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England, nor French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend, that you comb through annals of history but not a single annal? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preacher praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? If you wrote a letter, perhaps you bote your tongue?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and wise guy are opposites? How can overlook and oversee be opposites, while quite a lot and quite a few are alike? How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell another.

Have you noticed that we talk about certain things only when they are absent? Have you ever seen a horseful carriage or a strapful gown? Met a sung hero or experienced requited love? Have you ever run into someone who was combobulated, gruntled, ruly or peccable?

And where are all those people who ARE spring chickens or who would ACTUALLY hurt a fly?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm clock goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race (which, of course, isn't a race at all). That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it.

http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/english8.html
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I did not know Ravioli was plural and the singular is raviolo.

It's Italian, their plurals usually end in an i. Panini is the plural, but people say paninis.
  • misterwah
    Options
    The word uninhibited. Its a double negative right? So why not just 'hibited'?
    And is the word exhibited related?

What is hibit?
    This makes my brain hurt. I think reading these posts is a bad hibit.

Isn't that what nuns wear? So I suppose "exhibited" would sort of be like "excommunicated."
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    You can't just be "whelmed".
  • skippysells
    skippysells Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ask my ex wife. That fool got my money!!
  • Ninguneado77
    Options

People who go out of their way to defend cheaters
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    People who go out of their way to defend cheaters

This post made me go hmmmmm???
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

So is one strand of spaghetti called a spaghetto? :happy:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    Why do "Fat chance" and "Slim chance" mean the same thing?

One is meant sarcastically, the other is meant seriously.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    How do you indicate "zero" in roman numerals?

You don't. I do not believe ancient Rome had a concept of "zero".
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You don't. I do not believe ancient Rome had a concept of "zero".

Interesting. From Wikipedia:
    Zero
    The number zero does not have its own Roman numeral, but the word nulla (the Latin word meaning "none") was used by medieval computists in lieu of 0. Dionysius Exiguus was known to use nulla alongside Roman numbers in 525.[13][14] About 725, Bede or one of his colleagues used the letter N, the initial of nulla, in a table of epacts, all written in Roman numbers.[15]