Effectiveness of exercise vs drug interventions on mortality

Options
Interesting study which I am reading now:

Comparative effectiveness of exercise and drug interventions on mortality outcomes: metaepidemiological study

"....14,716 participants were randomised to physical activity interventions in 57 trials. No statistically detectable differences were evident between exercise and drug interventions in the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and prediabetes. Physical activity interventions were more effective than drug treatment among patients with stroke..."

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5577

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you fast forward to the very end of the study all the subjects of both groups die so zero effect on mortality?
  • overcominglazy
    overcominglazy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That was interesting. And really, people should be encouraged more to exercise if they can. It has much fewer side effects than drugs tend to and no drug interactions! Also all those other health benefits they mention. However, one mustn't forget that for some people, exercise is extremely difficult to fit into their lives. Or they may have a condition that precludes it. So as drugs aren't a cure-all, neither is exercise.

In addition, people must be taught to exercise efficiently, not just told to get a gym membership and hop on a treadmill. I think you should be able to get a prescription for personal trainers, but maybe that's just me, ha.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you fast forward to the very end of the study all the subjects of both groups die so zero effect on mortality?

:) Really should have read morbidity or, as in the piece itself, mortality outcomes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well, if they do find a cure for mortality, consider me interested. Being a god is probably very liberating

rNTkET3.gif
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Oh sigh... since I'm going to eventually die, I guess I'll continue eating and exercising the way I like and want... At least I'll die happy! :-D