What to do now?

Options
Seems like eating everything and following 1200-1400 cal did not work for me.Keeping in mind that I was exercising everyday at least for 1 hour counting out my sick days and I was not eating back all the exercise calories, weight loss mission has been a failure so far.Now is the time for revise my strategy.Can successful people help me with this? what should I do to lose 1 pound per week or in 10 days at least?I am considering to be eating only clean food however it would not be easy for me. SAD BUT NOT GIVING UP!

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. You don't have to eat "clean", just eat at a deficit; weigh or measure everything you eat and log accurately and honestly.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. You don't have to eat "clean", just eat at a deficit; weigh or measure everything you eat and log accurately and honestly.

This, and to add make sure you don't overestimate your burns.

If you were accurately eating 1200-1400 calories and exercising an hour per day you should have lost weight.

I'd also recommend opening you diary.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit should work, even without the exercise. Are you weighing and measuring EVERYTHING and also counting all cooking oils, sodas, fruit juices, sauces, dressings etc? Could you make your diary public so that we can have a look and see if there's something that might be going on?
  • irakrishna1
    irakrishna1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My diary is open now. I have a measuring cup given with a cookery book (measurement is in gm and oz). however for many type of food I have to guess about as I don't have a food scale. :( About the exercise I go to a Gym nearby and use the equipments there. Another thing is the burnt calories shown on the treadmill there is 300 cal for 1 hour jog/run with 6.5 km/hour but on MFP it's very high. Therefore I don't eat back much of my exercise calories for the sake of adjusting any overestimation.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. You aren't losing weight because you are eating too much. You are eating too much because you can't accurately weigh food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, what tigersword said. Measuring cups aren't good enough.

Watch this short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Also this thread is good (and contains that video link)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • irakrishna1
    Options
    Hmm..notes taken.I am buying a digital food scale now.
  • irakrishna1
    Options
    Get a food scale. You aren't losing weight because you are eating too much. You are eating too much because you can't accurately weigh food.
    I think this is the reason.Thank you everyone for all the insightful responses/links. From now on I would not eat any exercise calories and there would be no cheat day whether random or planned. Now waiting for my food scale to arrive,I ordered it just now! ^_^
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Good idea. 4 oz of cook chicken breast looks very different from 4 oz of lean cooked beef. If you are a creature of habit like I am, after a while, you will be able to pretty accurately eye what 4 oz of chicken breast looks like for the top of your salad.
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    I went from 166lbs to 139lbs a total of 27lb lost! A lot of people always ask me, "What did you do?! What's your secrete!"
    And I always answer, time and dedication...Also lots of cardio!

At first I would set a goal of losing 1lb per week, but I found myself getting discouraged, and scale obsessed, when I didn't see my weight drop. So, I just started eating clean and exercising. I noticed that I was losing weight, maybe .5lbs a week...Which I was happy with!

Keep in mind that weight isn't going to fall off in a day, or for some weeks. It takes time and dedication, just like the same way it all came on (slowly, but surely).

Measuring your food and keeping track of calories will def. help you. Healthy eating and exercise is the magic combo. Keep at it!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would not go the drastic way and not eat back exercise calories. If you are eating between 1200-1400, then exercising for an hour would put you quite low and that is not healthy. Just try to be more accurate. I use runtastic app to track my calories burned and I always log 10 minutes less than what I've done, then eat those calories back. I know it's a guesstimate, but since i'm doing this I'm losing at a steady rate.

Not eating them back would really not be too good for you, unless you are petite. What are your current stats? your BMR, and TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure)?
  • Brainless64
    Brainless64 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My diary is open now. I have a measuring cup given with a cookery book (measurement is in gm and oz). however for many type of food I have to guess about as I don't have a food scale. :(

cups spoons etc will never give you an accurate measure (theya re OK for cookery recipes, but not measuring food intake) as all foods weigh different.

The only sure way to be accurate is to have an electronic kitchen scale, and place all the food your going to eat or cook with on it, and log.

They are pretty cheap on Amazon, and it is now second nature for me to weigh everything as I cook for myself, or as I grab something to snack on, as it sits on the kitchen counter by the toaster.

Also as your already quite light you will not be able to loose as fast as even me (down to 1lb a week if I am good), people with a lot to loose, loose faster at first, as they need more fuel to haul their larger mass around.
  • irakrishna1
    Options
    I would not go the drastic way and not eat back exercise calories. If you are eating between 1200-1400, then exercising for an hour would put you quite low and that is not healthy. Just try to be more accurate. I use runtastic app to track my calories burned and I always log 10 minutes less than what I've done, then eat those calories back. I know it's a guesstimate, but since i'm doing this I'm losing at a steady rate.

Not eating them back would really not be too good for you, unless you are petite. What are your current stats? your BMR, and TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure)?

I need 52 lbs to lose now. My BMR: 1,460 cal TDEE: 1838 cal
  • irakrishna1
    Options
    I went from 166lbs to 139lbs a total of 27lb lost! A lot of people always ask me, "What did you do?! What's your secrete!"
    And I always answer, time and dedication...Also lots of cardio!

At first I would set a goal of losing 1lb per week, but I found myself getting discouraged, and scale obsessed, when I didn't see my weight drop. So, I just started eating clean and exercising. I noticed that I was losing weight, maybe .5lbs a week...Which I was happy with!

Keep in mind that weight isn't going to fall off in a day, or for some weeks. It takes time and dedication, just like the same way it all came on (slowly, but surely).

Measuring your food and keeping track of calories will def. help you. Healthy eating and exercise is the magic combo. Keep at it!

I admire your patience and persistence. I would come back to read this post when I feel disappointed. :)
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options

This...
  • irakrishna1
    Options
    Today the scale moved and I have lost 2.2 lbs now! :) I am happy but confused as since last two days I was eating above my goal i.e. 1200 cal(given by MFP). Nonetheless I am planning to stick to my routine.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try netting at least 1,500 calories. I stopped losing when I ate below my BMR number.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Today the scale moved and I have lost 2.2 lbs now! :) I am happy but confused as since last two days I was eating above my goal i.e. 1200 cal(given by MFP). Nonetheless I am planning to stick to my routine.

I am so glad you got the needed confidence boost!!! Congratulations! This just goes to show that weight loss is not linear, some weeks I pose nothing and then it just shifts in bulk Lol. Thanks for giving me your stats earlier, how tall are you? I think with 52 pounds to lose as long as you stay above 1200 its Cool, however as you move closer to your goal I would increase that, at least to the level of your bmr. Those are the calories your body needs for basic function after all. I was on 1200 for a while, and coupdnt imagine eating 1500 and was scared of going up. Now I'm losing at that number and am so happy I can eat more: )