How to forgive self get back on track after weight gain?

Options
Have gained weight lately so much stress/nonstop activity/responsibilities cold weather no gym or proper attire. Need to work on that.
Need to find a way to forgive self for weight gain too..

Any and all advice appreciated!!
Feel concerned Ive lost motivation re controlling portion sizes. Just keep finishing items like sushi or free macaroons or any food that can't take home/will spoil if not eaten then.
Not happy with body or life. Know Need to work on health more confidence regarding relationship with body at least....

Can you relate?
What had been your experience?
All suggestions for coping would be wonderful. Many many thanks

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    one step at the time:

portion control your biggest meal
    add extra movement to your day i.e. park further away, take the stairs, etc.
    have just one biscuit

t'is the season of free food, so don't plan to not eat anything of it, just rather have 1 piece, don't finish things off, have a glass of water before reaching for the second piece

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mschrissytho
    Options
    I can totally relate to how you feel. I live in a snowy area and I am trying to find a winter workout as we speak. I notice that workout videos don't really last long.I was contemplating a gym and or home gym. I watched a video about how to loose weight without working out. I would rather work out. But I am going grocery shopping tomorrow. I will be sure to work some fruit and veggies into my shopping trip. I also want to begin to drink green tea 3x a day.
    Thank you for this post. I was so depressed today because of my way. Reading this post makes me feel like I am not alone.
    I hope that things get better.. Don't beat yourself up. We see brand new mercies every day. If God can give us a fresh start each day then we have no reason to beat ourselves up.
    It will be okay. :0)

Romans 8:1
    There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Well that took an unexpected turn. :huh:
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    What did you do you mean? Thank you ????
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Have gained weight lately so much stress/nonstop activity/responsibilities cold weather no gym or proper attire. Need to work on that.
    Need to find a way to forgive self for weight gain too..

Any and all advice appreciated!!
    Feel concerned Ive lost motivation re controlling portion sizes. Just keep finishing items like sushi or free macaroons or any food that can't take home/will spoil if not eaten then.
    Not happy with body or life. Know Need to work on health more confidence regarding relationship with body at least....

Can you relate?
    What had been your experience?
    All suggestions for coping would be wonderful. Many many thanks

Jan 2013 (This year I will loose weight) went to the gym for three months, got sick, quit gained it all back + 20lbs. 4months later I said screw dieting it never works I am going to eat what I want and be happy. If I am ment to be thin, I will wake up thin one day. Sept. 15 my friend drops 60lbs and gets me to agree to a diet, I loose 10lbs and say ok lets try incorporating exercise. Dropped another ten pounds. 90days later here I am and I am hooked, I refuse to go back to being in the 200s.

The point of the story start small, change one thing at a time so your mind doesn't think your missing out. Each thing you change will help bring you closer to your goal. If you want to get there you WILL!!
  • atrina111
    atrina111 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is reflection. Reflect on why you started MFP, and the REAL reasons you want to lose weight. Also around the holidays, try writing your goal weight on the side of your upper index finger so when you go to holiday gatherings or dinner parties you will see that number the moment you raise your fork to your mouth. It will help you stay in control of you eating. And always remember prayer works!! ????❤????
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    When I get to that place I will look at one thing I can concentrate on, so as not to get overwhelmed. You choose what will help.

Try to look at this process as ADDING to your life, not subtracting. I have had good success with trying a fruit or vegetable that I have never had before. The latest are fresh pomegranates which are currently in season. I had so much fun eating those little arils that look like jewels. They give you a lot of fiber and help you feel satisfied.

I also recommend books like Intuitive Eating, Savor (Mindfulness in Eating) and anything by Geneen Roth. These have helped me think more about how I treat food and my body. I think I am in a good space now where I punish myself less and celebrate more.

The way I treated myself was horrible - I would never do that to another person, but I was terribly mean and insulting to myself all the time.

Feel free to PM me if you need to chat!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would start with examining your schedule and figuring out why it is so hectic that you have no time for yourself. A life is not good if it is spent running from activity to activity. Cut out as many as possible and free up time for making and preparing better food and getting some exercise. Also sleep and relaxation.
  • tannammm
    tannammm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day. Get through every day doing the best you can and over time you will see the results. I'm 18 months into my journey and thankfully, I have had more good days than bad days. Good luck!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I think I can - I think I can - I think I can
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    for me, i always figure any weight i gain, i can always lose later. Dietting/cutting is a skill, not a lifestyle to me. I only need the motivation to start dieting again like if an event is coming up or summer or if i really let myself go
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    I wrote this in response to another on of my MFP who is struggling to get onto and stay on a healthy track . She was upset by her lack of willpower and also having trouble forgiving herself.

The idea of will power can be exhausted is explored in the book The Power of Habit. They do go onto to say it can be strengthened. Their thought is to figure out the inflection points, the times when you know your will power will be low, and come up with a plan that will be a good choice for you. I am trying to apply this principal in my own life. Not an easy thing to do because habits are not always so easily changed. Right now you are a young woman who is empowering herself. Will you make mistakes?Yes. We all do. Ask yourself what did I learn and how can I do better next time? Changing your eating habits is a process. Sometimes I know it can feel like one step forward two steps back. You will do what is best for you. I believe in you. Take care.
  • hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like the target on finger idea, and will try it.