Swimming to lose weight at 30 yrs??

Options
I was hoping you other members can share some success stories from going swimming to lose weight. I need to lose 15 lbs (atleast). I was thinking of starting swimming in the gym from tomorrow. I'm 30, female, with a normal BMI (high end though!), and don't have much stamina when it comes to exercising. I've tried exercising 5 days a week for 30 mins and I run out of energy by the end, but it still doesn't seem to work. Do you think swimming is a good idea to lose weight or inches fast? Anyone with success stories out there? How long did it take you to lose weight?
Thanks alot!

Replies

• helpmeet2day
    helpmeet2day Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great way to lose weight and exercise without injury. But can be addictive!
    Are you thinking in terms of laps or a class? Both can get you where you want to go.:flowerforyou:
  • megz2107
    Options
    Great way to lose weight and exercise without injury. But can be addictive!
    Are you thinking in terms of laps or a class? Both can get you where you want to go.:flowerforyou:

I'm thinking of doing a few laps and gradually increase my stamina. I can currently do only 1 lap in a 25 mt pool before I am completely out of breath! :(
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Here is a good place to get started. You'll be well on your way to greater endurance! Be well :drinker:

http://www.100swimmingworkouts.com/#beginner
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If 30 mins of land lubber exercise wears you out I think you're in for a ride awakening when it comes to swimming.

But yeah, if you keep your calories consumed under control you can swim and lose all the weight you want
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Swimming is the best form of exercise - once you learn a good technique you will swimming happily for the rest of your life..Your breathing technique will improve so will the efficiency of your lungs. :) I had my fair share of health issues but I never stopped swimming - even when other forms of exercise become difficult swimming is there for me..

I strongly recommend mastering the most important technique in swimming - which most people forget. FLOAT! :) Swimming on top of the water is much easier than swimming IN the water...FLOAT, FLOAT, FLOAT and once you are good with that then add the additional components...stroke technique, breathing technique..what not.. :) ENJOY!
  • RajK01
    RajK01 Posts: 12
    Options
    Swimming burns a lot of calories even though we do not feel like we are burning so many. When you are swimming just stop for a moment and listen to your heart. I'll bet you it will be pounding like crazy
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I think swimming is a terrific idea. I did it for a little while but i stopped doing it just bc i felt like it interred with lifting, since it's a really strong shoulder workout and moreso bc i'm a pretty lame swimmer. if i was good at swimming i'd do it every day. It probably burns more calories than any other cardio you could do (maybe plyometrics is close) but if you're looking to tone up and lose weight i don't know if there is a better choice.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise (and fun) but you won't lose weight unless you eat at a calorie deficit. Cardio can actually be counterproductive if you rely on it to create a deficit, since it tends to increase appetite. Enjoy your swim as a great cardiovascular workout, but watch your calories too.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you are running out of breath slow down try to relax and go slow. I only learned to swim 4 years ago and I couldn't go 10 M now I swim 2000M and do not get tired. It is the same with all your exercising if you are to tired or out of breath slow down you are pushing to hard to soon you have to build up your cardio slowly. I started running biking and swimming all 4 years ago and I am 61.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 lbs (atleast). Do you think swimming is a good idea to lose weight or inches fast?

You're only looking to lose around 15 lbs... yet you say you want to lose 'em fast. You should rethink this strategy. As someone else said, you want to create a calorie deficit, to lose lbs. If you choose to burn some calories and not eat them back to create that deficit, swimming is as good a way as any to do that.

I consider myself to have terrible cardio abilities as well. At least, I totally did, they are probably much improved by now. But, I started out by swimming.... And the thing about swimming is..... you can go totally at your own pace.... one lap at a time. If one lap of front crawl has you winded, rest at the end of the pool, then do a side stroke or breast stroke the other way.

As you progress, you can add challenges in lots of different ways. You can rest less between laps, you can more challenging strokes, and less easy strokes.... you can stay longer in the pool....

Swimming is easier on the joints than most other exercise. I don't see any downside to it.
  • megz2107
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I hope it works as well for me, as it did for some of you. Today is Day 1 of swimming! And I can only go uphill with my stamina from here. Thank you all so much for your support!
  • megz2107
    Options
    So I went swimming. I managed to do 40 laps (yay!). But it's been two days and my muscles aren't sore at all? It is my understanding that any exercise that is done after a long break should hurt your muscles. Does this mean my swimming isn't working or does swimming help you lose weight without the pain?
    I would appreciate any help regarding this, as it will determine if I should continue swimming or not.
    Thank you.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    So I went swimming. I managed to do 40 laps (yay!). But it's been two days and my muscles aren't sore at all? It is my understanding that any exercise that is done after a long break should hurt your muscles. Does this mean my swimming isn't working or does swimming help you lose weight without the pain?
    I would appreciate any help regarding this, as it will determine if I should continue swimming or not.
    Thank you.

Pain/soreness does not equal more calories burned. Continue swimming.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use swimming and walking as my forms of cardio and have lost 215 pounds in the last two years. I love swimming. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and I was so happy to get home so I could get back in the pool. You can also do different strokes to work on different muscle groups. I go to the local high school and get an annual pass for $90 which is a great deal. Swimming is a great exercise and low impact. If you go to any hospital, you will see lots of people recovery from hip and knee replacement surgery. Swimming isn't for everyone but I have learned to love it.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the best. I love the calorie burn and low injury risk. I could swim all day if I didn't have to do stupid things like go to work and make money :P

Great job on 40 laps. That's 1000 yards and an excellent starting point. Definitely push towards better endurance from there and you'll be golden. Does your gym offer any type of swimming lessons? That can help you improve your stroke and breathing techniques, which will make the workout all that more effective. Good luck. Message me if you have any questions, I'm a very experienced swimmer.
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    40 laps is an awesome start. Great job.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you are so wiped out from a 30 minute cardio effort, you may want to look into your nutrition. What you eat before and after exercise can dramatically affect your performance and recovery. When I plan ahead and eat a good balanced meal or snack before working out I have a ton more energy and if I eat properly after, I don't feel wiped the whole day.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you are so wiped out from a 30 minute cardio effort, you may want to look into your nutrition. What you eat before and after exercise can dramatically affect your performance and recovery. When I plan ahead and eat a good balanced meal or snack before working out I have a ton more energy and if I eat properly after, I don't feel wiped the whole day.

My diet is very balanced and healthy, and 30 minutes of hard swimming will still wipe me out. It's very intense cardio.