Flaxseed?

Options
Hi All!

So i bought some raw flaxseed a while back because I was convinced of it's awesomeness. I only have one problem: I don't' know how to eat this or make recipes with it! :noway:

Any ideas?

Thanks,
~Rose

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    put it in everything
  • Goinghungry
    Options
    I use Chia which is similar to flaxseed. I put it in yogurt, use it like a spice in sauces, sprinkle it on just about everything. Don't be shy!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love flax seed! I put it in my Greek yogurt every morning! I add it to just about everything! Soup, smoothies, tacos, salads, cottage cheese, yep just about everything I eat has it in it! Good luck! :)
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. You can put it about anywhere...in smoothies, in baked goods, in yogurt or cereals, in soups...the only limit would be where you don't want the texture. Eat up and enjoy!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have mine in smoothies, peanut butter balls, and anytime I'm baking for the extra fiber and nutrients. I much prefer to use flax with ap flour, for baking over ww flour. In some recipes if you're using flax meal, you can reduce or omit the eggs.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like to run it through the blender and then use a tbsp of the ground stuff mixed in with oatmeal. You can also throw some in with anything else you're making with other flours for some yumminess. When mixed with hot water it makes a wonderful egg substitute in vegan baking also.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Be sure to grind it up first (you can use a coffee grinder). The body will pass out the whole seeds.
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    Also important: make sure to use it as soon as you grind it. It goes rancid very quickly.
  • mrmach
    mrmach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put two tablespoons of Flaxseed on my cereal (Grape Nuts or oatmeal) every morning. I buy whole flaxseed since they last better, and then coarsely grind them in a coffee grinder right before use. The whole, unbroken seeds are not easily digested.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love it stirred into cottage cheese.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've just bought some for the omega values and have just had 30g on my porridge. Hardly noticed the taste but you do need more liquid (coconut milk in my case) as they make it drier.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I've just bought some for the omega values and have just had 30g on my porridge. Hardly noticed the taste but you do need more liquid (coconut milk in my case) as they make it drier.

If you are using flaxseed as your source of omega 3 then you may want to think about getting your omega 3 elsewhere.
  • bdoermann
    bdoermann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love flax seed and flax meal. It goes great in everything. I usually add it to smoothies. It also makes a great replacement for eggs in baking. 1 TBS ground flax meal and 3 TBS water whipped up = 1 egg. No cholesterol and lots of fiber.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    oops, old topic, already commented....
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Made these this morning without apples and they are delishh. http://www.powercakes.net/baked-apple-powercakes-recipe/
    I also put flax in things I bake, as well as oatmeal, bread crumbs... everything !
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options

If you are using flaxseed as your source of omega 3 then you may want to think about getting your omega 3 elsewhere.

There's not many sources for me, but I've always found people who offer criticism and then a solution to be much more useful than the ones that just offer criticism.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options

There's not many sources for me, but I've always found people who offer criticism and then a solution to be much more useful than the ones that just offer criticism.

Ah, fair enough. Yeah, I find that too.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    put it in everything

This.
    Making a salad? Dump it on.
    Making rice? Dump it on.
    Making stir fry? Dump it on.
    Making hamburgers? Mix it in the meat.
    Making babies? Well, eat it in a smoothie beforehand for energy.
  • DianeKayWhelan
    DianeKayWhelan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its been mentioned that you should grind it before eating to make it digestible, but no one has mentioned that it makes a great replacement for whole eggs in other recipes. 2.5 tbsp of ground flax and 3 tbsp (approximately) is roughly equal to to one whole egg. Perfect if you want to start reducing cholesterol in baking.
  • XxZachAttackxX
    Options
    Grind it up or use flax seed oil there is a few studies saying if it is not grinded up then you just **** it out with out getting the benifets of them .. So make them into powder in a food processor or some thing or just use flax seed oil instead