Help please!

Options
Hi, I just started on Wednesday although I'm not new to dieting I've found that bein accountable and journaling everything is keeping me VERY honest! Going out to dinner tomorrow night and have been dying for chicken wings. How bad would chicken wings and salad be? The movies would be easy, don't care too much for the junk there especailly if we go out to dinner first. Any suggestions? BTW I think I'm all fish and chickend out. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In theory, weight loss should be a "life-style change," right? So we have to learn to balance the foods we love with the foods that are good for us. So I say...GO FOR IT! But eat a really healthy breakfast and lunch and exercise to earn some extra calories!! And don't go entering any hot wing eating challenges...hahahaha!!! Moderation is your friend! Enjoy!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the above. The key for me has been learning this isn't an ALL OR NOTHING or a "diet" thing. This is everyday for the rest of my life. So you're not not going to eat chicken wings ever again, but as above you will eat them as a treat and balance them with healthy eating and exercise around other meals. It's quite exciting really that it's not about denial, just balance :)
  • vhiarose
    vhiarose Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find it hard calculating the calorie content of foods eaten in restaurants. Of course they add lots of extra yummy (usually high fat or sugar) foods like extra butter, oil or salt than you normally would at home, so I'd search a generic form of the food you've eaten from the database - just to get a general idea of what the calorie intake may be.

So just be cautious about your eating during the other parts of the day - just to give or take a few hundred calories for the dinner and desserts - and enjoy the dinner! It's not every day that you eat out (hopefully) so one night of enjoyment couldn't hurt, as long as you balance it with exercise and low fat/sugar foods the rest of the day :)

That's my take on it at least, and my method currently, I'd appreciate some other suggestions if there are alternative methods??
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I give myself 1 day a week to eat what I want. I eat in moderation still, but I don't worry about counting calories. My day is Sunday; I call it fat Sunday lol. You need to reward yourself for all your hard work. Plus, once your body gets used to eating healthy you will stop craving all the fatty foods and foods high in sugar and when you do eat it, it won't taste quite as good; not to mention your tummy may not be able to handle it... this was worked for me so far and I have lost 87 pounds total since I started.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    thanks for the good advice and your all right! I think that's why most diets fail because we deprive ourselves and it's impossible to live like that for the rest of our lives, at least for most of us. Thanks again.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have wings frequently on Sundays during football! I make them at home though. I figure 70-90 cals per wing depending on the size (baked not deep fried). If you are having them out, take a look at the sauce, is it greasy? If so add 20 per wing. If the sauce is bbq like (sweetish) add 5-10 depending on how much sauce you eat. If they are deep fried add 15-20 depending on size. As long as the wings don't make up the bulk of your meal you should be fine! Enjoy!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    looks like a chicken wing with sauce on it is about 10 calories per wing. so just control how many you eat and you should be fine with that! when getting the salad, skip the cheese and croutons and ask for fat free dressing on the side.

as far as the chicken and fish go...i feel your pain!!! try 96% fat free lean ground beef, or turney is not a bad alternative either :)

good luck tomorrow!
  • tater8589
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Everyone needs a cheat day mixed in. And if your craving it, you could endup eating way more other foods trying to make up for it. I say go for it. I like to order my wings at Hooters: Hot, wings only, naked (no breading). Try not to over do it, but if your not happy with what your eating you won't stick to it. Just gotta find that balance :) Good luck