Options
2»

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!!

EDIT TO SAY:

Don't forget to eat at a mild deficit though....
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    both.gif
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    ^^^love that commercial
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Both
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Both with a calorie deficit!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Both
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Do both. You'll get better results faster
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    IMO control caloric intake with diet and lift to retain lean body mass. the number on the scale means much less than how you look at any weight, and you'll look your best with maximum lean mass.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Sure with cardio you get to burn more calories while your doing the exercise, but with weight training consistently you my not drop the pounds, but you will drop inches, and become well muscled (not bulky), and since you have gained muscle mass you burn more calories all day long!
    Actually, the amount of calories burned from muscle vs fat is negligible considering you really won't be adding that much muscle...

OK apparently you made the same mistake I did skipping words.... see the word Consistently.... of course muscle is diffcult to add that is why she won't get bulky :happy: Silly man! Even guys have a hard time gaining muscle. Woman, even a harder time b/c we lack the testosterone levels needed for great bulk. Hence, the reason weight does not go down but inches do, and even a negligible calorie burn makes a difference long term if you are burning more calories all day vs. a few hours. :happy: Especially beneficial for a woman wanting to be lean, and gorgeous in a wedding dress. :flowerforyou:
    If you eat at a deficit, but lift heavy you get to keep the muscle you already have while losing weight.
    This is true. Adding cardio means you can eat more too :) One of the reasons most people recommend both.
    If you just do cardio you lose fat, but you also lose some muscle. So while you drop the weight on the scale you may not get the desired result of a thin more fit body.

If you are doing both cardio and weight training, your muscle loss will be minimal/non-existant.

Ummm, yeah that's why you should do both..... did not read my first post did ya! :happy:

Again, suggested both b/c you want to fit into a smaller dress, and look good not just lose 20 lbs. just to find out that dress size did not go down like you want it to.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I didn't see OP mention anything about a smaller dress...

Here's the thing: if you want cardiovascular endurance/fitness, then by all means do cardio for that, but...

CARDIO DOES NOT HELP YOU LOSE FAT. A CALORIC DEFICIT DOES.

It makes no difference how you create that deficit. If you like to eat a lot, and want to spend some of your free time doing cardio to burn more calories and thus allow yourself to eat more while preserving a deficit, then go for it. But fat loss is achieved via a deficit. You can just as easily lose fat by controlling diet and lift to preserve existing muscle, which will net you a better look than diet/cardio alone.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Might have been making an assumption on wanting a smaller dress size. Let me tell you as another female who had to go a buy a wedding dress ten years ago...the goal for every woman who says she wants to lose 20 lbs. before going dress shopping....

is b/c we want to buy a smaller dress size.

Also, you missed the post about eating at a deficit, and doing both cardio, and weight training?....just guessing :wink:

So let me clarify I think:

Doing both Cardio, and Heavy Lifting is important. I also think eating a a slight deficit is Crucial to reach a goal!

I also think you have to make the call as to what is best for you as an individual, and what fits your lifestyle. Also you have to make the choice on whats best to fit your ultimate goal! I am also not narrow minded enough to think that my way is the ONLY way! Honestly I know what works for me does not work for everyone.

This is why I said something about more than just the option I chose for me. :happy:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    cardio, no doubt about it
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Might have been making an assumption on wanting a smaller dress size. Let me tell you as another female who had to go a buy a wedding dress ten years ago...the goal for every woman who says she wants to lose 20 lbs. before going dress shopping....

is b/c we want to buy a smaller dress size.

Also, you missed the post about eating at a deficit, and doing both cardio, and weight training?....just guessing :wink:

So let me clarify I think:

Doing both Cardio, and Heavy Lifting is important. I also think eating a a slight deficit is Crucial to reach a goal!

I also think you have to make the call as to what is best for you as an individual, and what fits your lifestyle. Also you have to make the choice on whats best to fit your ultimate goal! I am also not narrow minded enough to think that my way is the ONLY way! Honestly I know what works for me does not work for everyone.

This is why I said something about more than just the option I chose for me. :happy:

I really didn't miss anything, and I get that a lot of women say they want to fit into a smaller dress size, just like most guys want to fit into a 32 waist pant, and just like almost everyone has a number in their head of what they'd like to weight. Unfortunately, the reality is that none of that is important in the slightest.

What people really want is to look and feel good, and that's not always going to be managed by numbers like that. I lost down to 168 lbs (6' adult male) and looked and felt terrible. I did that with deficit and cardio. Then I started really researching fitness a bit and realized that I was obsessed with irrelevant numbers. I suppose bf% would be about the best number you could chase as a metric of fitness, but that's hard for a lot of people to keep track of without someone else helping them take measurements.

At the end of the day, I stand by my original message, which is that if you are after cardiovascular fitness (from a performance, heart/lung health standpoint), then by all means cardio is important. But cardio doesn't burn fat. It burns calories, which CAN HELP put you in a deficit, which is what actually DOES burn fat. It's by no means the only way of achieving a deficit, however.

Strength training, on the other hand, has a definite, measurable impact on aesthetics when you are trying to reduce fat, because it helps preserve lean mass and keep you shapely.

Net result: if you are trying to be thinner, look better, etc, strength training is MORE important than cardio, but both are less important than a caloric deficit.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Yes, March is dress shopping! Unless I get super eager to do it sooner :-)
    I would suggest both especially. I always do weights pre cardio. Right now I'm doing mostly circuit training. If your wedding is September is March goal dress shopping?

Congrats! Nothing like dress shopping for a big event to keep you on track. I know her pics can be a little cheesy but chickentuna has a pretty basic three a week lifting plan and not a ton of cardio. http://chickentuna.com/my_workout_routine.html
  • mbagradstudent
    Options
    My trainer said to do strength training 3 - 4 times per week, giving yourself a day off in between each. Then, she said to do your cardio after strength-training on the days that you lift. She said you'll burn more calories. I'd been doing it backwards

Thanks for sharing this! I've been doing it backwards as well. I'm going to try this way the next time I do weights.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day for weight loss it's about the deficit whether that deficit comes from cardio or the ''diet'' alone.

If you enjoy cardio then do it. Lifting heavy while being at a deficit will help preserve muscle mass so that is important.

Personally I stopped doing cardio a long time ago because i hate it. Lifting alone has given me very good results. Anyways the program I am following doesn't leave much energy for cardio *shrugs*

Really you need to do something you enjoy because that will be sustainable in the long run :flowerforyou:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Both :smile:
  • krazykate483
    krazykate483 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So how many calories should I eat to still lose fat? I'm 5'7 and 158lbs.
  • Mchl496
    Mchl496 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In the emphasis of saving time and accomplishing both.. why not try to find or build a workout routine that has you doing both? As someone who will do up to 3 different workouts depending on the day,(weight lifting... Insanity Asylum... running) its nice when you can save a little time.