Diabetics Unite!!!!!!

Options
Millions of Americans are diabetic however, there are none on MFP. Well, none post anything on the diabetics link. I am a diabetic and this is a real disease. It is so much more than weight lost. You either control it or it will control you. I have played with diabetes since 1991(Nov). I've taken my meds and felt that was enough. For this past week I have spent most of my week in a different doctors of regarding leg pain that is sever enough to have me on medical leave. I was getting my back checked out. The positive is I have no problems with my spine however, I must now see a neurologist regarding nerve damage. Complications from diabetes. And there it is, the beast has been at war all this time. No outward problems but attacking form within. So game face on I am going to war. I may not be able to reverse what's done but I can stop a full assault.

Any diabetics out there or am I all alone?

Replies

• ldelahanty1974
    ldelahanty1974 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Millions of Americans are diabetic however, there are none on MFP. Well, none post anything on the diabetics link. I am a diabetic and this is a real disease. It is so much more than weight lost. You either control it or it will control you. I have played with diabetes since 1991(Nov). I've taken my meds and felt that was enough. For this past week I have spent most of my week in a different doctors of regarding leg pain that is sever enough to have me on medical leave. I was getting my back checked out. The positive is I have no problems with my spine however, I must now see a neurologist regarding nerve damage. Complications from diabetes. And there it is, the beast has been at war all this time. No outward problems but attacking form within. So game face on I am going to war. I may not be able to reverse what's done but I can stop a full assault.

Any diabetics out there or am I all alone?
    I am an individual with Cushing's disease who also happens to have diabetes. I am working very hard to reverse it. I have lost 37 pounds since October 18, 2013. I am serious about weight loss, exercise and controlling my diabetes through diet. I am interested in having someone to talk with about these things. Negativity is not really my thing. But I do understand the concerns you have and deal with the same issues. Have you thought about finding a local support group? They are helpful.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Type II here, for 15 years or so. Didn't control it for a long time. Paid some heavy prices - now insulin-dependent, had a heart attack, etc.

But over the last year, got it more or less manageable with diet, exercise, and paying attention to my blood glucose levels and taking insulin as prescribed.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Everything you need to know is in the link below for type 2. It's a journal study of studies that bring together many cases of diabetics who have successfully reversed their condition. If you really truly want to understand why you are diabetic, you'll spend some time reading and learning what the research has to say. Below the link I've posted a brief summary what you need to do in order to reverse your condition since I know most people will not read the entire thing as it gets highly technical.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047.full

Summary Based on Research From Link above
    Lose weight fast, not slow. Losing weight fast targets more versical fat from the liver and pancreas. Secondly, build more muscle. The more muscle you have, than the more glucose you can eat as muscle stores glucose. As long as you are not the type of diabetic that sees high glucose levels when losing weight, losing weight fast should be fine. Check your levels. The longer you have been a diabetic, the lower your chances of reversing your condition.

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    LOL no diabetics here? I think you're not looking hard enough :bigsmile:

Diagnosed 5 years ago. Last A1C was 5.7, find out my current number on Monday.

Started out on Metformin, switched to insulin because we're currently trying to concieve, now taking Meformin again with the insulin to help with ovulation. Will hopefully be using Clomid soon to help with the process.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    There are diabetic groups on mfp. You can search it under groups. I am a diabetic and it is part of who I am. Unfortunately I have other problems so I don't want to dwell on one. I want to be healthier.

Good luck.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

I've managed to reverse mine. After losing 10% of body weight (slowly, not with the ultra low calorie diet used in the Newcastle study above) I got my hba1c down from 7.4 to 5.1 and my GP gave me license to start experimenting with reducing my metformin. Over the next six months continued to lose weight (even slower) and got my hba1c to 4.9 for two tests running. By then I was down from my original dose of 2000 mg of metformin daily to a single 500 mg tablet every other day.

Last month the GP practice instructed me to stop medicating altogether.

The gist of the Newcastle study, is that diabetes is caused by fatty liver and pancreas. The BMI level at which an individual stops or starts being diabetic can vary wildly. Some people are not diabetic with BMI of 40, other unlucky individuals have to get their BMI to 19. I have lost mostly visceral fat, which is what I believe allowed me to stop the medication.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes 20 years ago.
    This past June, I was experiencing neuropathy in my feet,
    and any wound I had took months to heal. My calves and ankles
    were red and swollen with edema, and my shins sprouted painless blisters.
    My blood glucose tested high. My retinas were showing damage,
    and so were my kidneys.

Funny, but diabetics have LONG been advised to stop eating starchy foods.
    I was chubby as a kid, but I didn't want to eat the 'diet plate': a scoop of cottage cheese,
    a few slices of tomatoes, and a few leaves of lettuce.
    Then we found out that those starchy foods were high on the Glycemic Index,
    which meant that they could spike our blood glucose levels.
    Now we know about 'insulin resistance' and the 'metabolic syndrome'.

Since the last week of June, I have changed my way of eating,
    and have lost nearly 50 pounds. I follow the Paleo/Primitive lifestyle:
    no grains, no legumes, and limited dairy foods. My A1C levels are
    finally in the healthier range, the neuropathy is diminishing. There is no
    more edema, reddening, and blistering of my lower legs. Wounds now heal
    within three weeks' time. My kidneys' creatinine levels have shown improvement
    in lab tests. I hope my retinas are healthier when I get my next eye exam.

I do take a diabetic medication: a total of 2000 mg of Metformin, daily..
    My doctor prescribed the high dosage to assist me in overcoming
    the Metabolic Syndrome. Surprise, surprise! It's also been proven
    to be helpful in weight loss!

There were two reasons I found it acceptable to totally reject wheat, corn,
    rice, and legumes.
    1) Those were the foods I craved, that I binged upon. I read that you crave
    the foods to which you are allergic. I figured if I could crave then eat 1/3 loaf of
    whole grain bread, 6 corn tortillas, or 2 cups of white with a meal, I must
    have a mighty allergy. Besides, as the old joke goes:
    those foods make me 'break out'-- in FAT!
    2) As I watched and listened to lectures about the Paleo/Primitive Lifestyle,
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I've taken my meds and felt that was enough.
    Sadly a lot of people take that approach, take a pill and everything will be OK. Medication is only one part of the diabetes management. Controlling diabetes includes controlling your diet, controlling your weight, exercising on a regular basis and taking medication if necessary.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i am diabetic! i have been type one for over 15 years. i have had 3 kids, and lived a complely normal and healthy life :) anyone feel free to add me! diabetics unite! haha
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've already lost the war, but the battle is still on !
  • boosmama98
    boosmama98 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Type II for almost 6 years. Every day is a battle.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    What a great discussion! I'm hearing how each person has learned to take charge of your health and manage diabetes, and that having a community of other people to share ideas with, either online or in a local support group, is really helpful. I give each of you a lot of credit for changing your lifestyle to improve your health. I'm a diabetes educator, and I find it helpful to let folks know that learning to manage diabetes effectively really is possible. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm Kate... 2 years w/ type 2.
  • ldelahanty1974
    Options
    LOL no diabetics here? I think you're not looking hard enough :bigsmile:

Diagnosed 5 years ago. Last A1C was 5.7, find out my current number on Monday.

Started out on Metformin, switched to insulin because we're currently trying to concieve, now taking Meformin again with the insulin to help with ovulation. Will hopefully be using Clomid soon to help with the process.
    Good job on that A1C! I just started Metformin and I hate it, it seems to make me feel bloated and I have had issues with muscle pain. Does that go away? Oh, I have take it about three weeks
  • ldelahanty1974
    Options
    There are diabetic groups on mfp. You can search it under groups. I am a diabetic and it is part of who I am. Unfortunately I have other problems so I don't want to dwell on one. I want to be healthier.

Good luck.
    I wish you luck! I have multiple diagnoses as well, but diabetes is new. Maybe you could share some of your secrets to acceptance. I just really do not want to accept this latest diagnosis and just work harder to try and reverse the diabetes.
    Thanks!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I reversed my potential diabetes when my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic in 2010. It is common in my family and I've seen its horrors up close. I did what I had to do to avoid the same fate. I changed my diet completely. I will continue to do everything possible to never become diabetic. For Type II diabetics and especially for pre-diabetics, I suggest reading "The End to Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. His first book, "Eat To Live" gave me the tools to change the future of my health.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/18/diabetes-diet-prevention-the-end-of-diabetes-book_n_2478790.html
  • DasRonin
    Options
    Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure here, diagnosed about three years ago. Taking Glimepiride and Lisinopril, but have cut both dosages in half since losing 40 pounds. I stopped my weight loss at 220 lbs which I have maintained for about three months, but have recently decided to continue with a goal of 180. Feel free to add me as a friend.