healthy winter snacks

Options
jlallen
jlallen Posts: 42 Member
I just got the hang of quick yummy good for ya summer snacks and the weather changes ugh! Any good cold weather afternoon snacks??

Replies

• SafariLara
    Options
    Hmm. Well
    I love pomegranates in the winter because they are in season, and take so long to eat, that I dont just snack snack snack.
    Along that same line, at the stores on sale in the winter they have shelled nuts so you have to take the take to crack them each individually open, and arent as likely to overeat or have too much salt.
    Also Rice Krispy treats! (not the healthiest option ever) but the little snack size ones are only 90 calories a piece and to me, SO heavenly.
    Popcorn!
    No Sugar added Hot chocolate
    Oranges and other citrusfruit Yum!
    Homemade wheat bread...
    Im out of ideas! Haha but hopefully I was some help...
  • rafaelwall
    Options
    Pomegranates. Brilliant. Thanks for this tip.
  • Jenbabe402
    Options
    winter for me is all about brothy soups. I know it doesn't sound like a snack, but a small bowl on a cold day feels great to me! Just skip any add-ins, like crackers or sour cream. I make a great vegetable stock from boiling leftover cuttings of vegetables that I've used for cooking meals throughout the week, just keep them in a ziploc bag in the fridge and boil the crap out of them at the end of the week. I store jars of the broth in the freezer and use them not just for soups, but for rice pilafs as well!
  • jlallen
    jlallen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    These sound great I also need some for my kids afterschool. They aren't that picky but they like the "kid friendly" stuff.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My girls love that the citrus fruits are in season in the winter!! They love clementines, they are so easy to peel and very juicy. They work great in lunchboxes too. Yes, pomegranates are awesome!!

Also, cranberries (whole) are amazing. One of my dd's favorite snacks is a chopped apple and 1/2 cup of whole cranberries warmed up for about 2 minutes in the microwave. You can top it w/ some yogurt and a little granola and it's like a warm apple cranberry crisp. :bigsmile:

Popcorn is good and I also like to make snack mixes out of different cereals (Cheerios, Kix, Chex, popcorn, pretzels, goldfish, nuts, raisins, and a few M and M's or chocolate chips for them). Easy to put in baggies for lunch boxes too.