Eating at Work

Options
I work in a Chinese restaurant part-time, and it's so difficult not to eat when it's around me all the time. I also get given food every night after work - fried rice and noodles - and if I don't take them, then my boss gets offended. (I have told her about my intended weight loss, and she just said she wanted to make sure I have "proper food" at least twice a week - she seems to think I'm living solely off grapes or something!)

Chinese food is so so so unhealthy, the way they make it. Everything is fried (at least once) and is full of salt and additives... I come back from work and feel ill because I have eaten so much more rubbish than I am used to, or than I want to.

My boss always gives me biscuits as well, and when I get home (usually 11pm or midnight, having done a full day of studying and classes) I'm so hungry that I tend to just stuff my face. I start work at five, and I'm never hungry for dinner then, so end up eating a lot more than I would have done at work. I don't have time for a break to have a sandwich or something...

Does anyone else work in a place where food is constantly around them? How on earth do you resist?!

Please help

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    This could sound harsh but you should be thankful for a boss that cares about you and if the sodium worries you drink extra water. Other than that enjoy the food , if you log it properly it can fit nicely into you daily log. Good luck to you.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I read something that said your body is not a trash can so don't treat it like one.. I know you probably don't want that food to go to waste but that doesn't mean you have to eat it. Either give it to a friend or get over the fact that you may have to just take it home and throw it away.

Also I prep my lunches and dinners for the week on Saturday or Sunday and keep them in Tupperware and so I can easily just heat them up when I get home.. Also Digorno makes some good low calorie flat bread pizzas that heat up in 20 mins or so and you can have 1/2 the pizza for 500 calories or less.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat it, throw it away before you get home. It sounds like it would have been thrown out anyway if it is end of the night food.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If you eat the food at the kitchen, eat less. Personally I don't think Chinese is that unhealthy - lots of fresh veg and OK so a lot is fried, but usually in a light vegetable oil rather than animal based fats (at least that is what my local takeaway claims!). If you take it home to eat, then eat less again, or bin it!

Alternatively, tell your boss that eating so late doesn't agree with you, but could you have some chopped peppers and stuff to graze on throughout the evening.

As for the calories, plan ahead for the days you work in the kitchen so that you have the calories spare!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Your boss is very nice to care about you, but I sympathize with you.

Can you say you will take it home and share it with your family/roommates/neighbors? Then throw it away, or freeze it, or give to somebody else?

Can you say you have a medical condition and your doctor is deciding your diet? The Christmas season is a nightmare because people push sweets on me all the time at work (I work in an office), but I get migraines from too much chocolate, so I can say no without guilt. I've gone to the ER a few times with migraines that went on for days.

Also, soup kitchens take donations from restaurants. Maybe your boss doesn't want the food to go to waste. A soup kitchen would be glad to take it (you have to deliver it). Maybe you could suggest that.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It might sound underhanded but take it, say thank-you and give it to a homeless person or soup kitchen :)

Everyone can benefit and everyone is happy
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat it, throw it away before you get home. It sounds like it would have been thrown out anyway if it is end of the night food.

This. Eat it if you want it and if it fits in your plan. Otherwise- be nice to your boss, glad she cares, thank her, take it- and pitch it. It's the kindest thing you can do - for both of you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    He only makes noodles? Tell him how gorgeous the beef and broccoli is. Tell him you love the spicy green beans... Or give the food away.
  • rachytstamm
    Options
    I work in an office where there is ALWAYS food around. It is hard to get away from it. I am starting to try to walk once or twice around the building each time I feel tempted, instead of grabbing the food!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I saw a dietician and also talked to my family dr about eating Chinese, and they told me if there is anything they can beg me to give up is Chinese.
  • becmarkwick
    becmarkwick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try something like having an up and go before you head off to work - it has 250 calories and the fibre of 2 weetbix but tastes like a chocolate milkshake - it staves off the hunger pangs, but you don't have to be 'hungry' to eat, just thirsty before work.

And ask your boss for some veg rather than noodles