Calories and intakes

Options
So my net says 1660 calories, but I want to go gym, which I started today, came back, completed my 1660 cals, not sure if I did it right. And do I have to always eat healthy, or can it just be same food I usually it, just has to fit with the net amount?

I don't eat like this but e.g, pizza 1000 cals, diet 500 cals pizza, till I reach 1660 cals.

Also if I'm going gym, do I have to eat more calories? I hear other people eating much lower net and working out and getting results?
And Im trying to lose weight in 6 months, which I know I can (from 180lbs to 140-150lbs) I was told I can do it if I stick with my net, I decided to speed this up with workout, burning 500-600 cals and doing some weights. Is this right?

Replies

• Morryarty
    Options
    A mixture of weight/cardio (lots of walking) and it is sensible to eat back a minimum of half your exercise calories. This will give you the nutrition to repair body tissue and build muscle whilst ensuring a calorific deficit. If you are serious about this then eat meals that consist of lean meat i.e.: Chicken/turkey fillet (not breaded) or grilled fish, lots and lots of vegetables, some fruit (3 pieces a day minimum) beans, salad. wholemeal bread (max 2 slices a day), use olive oils, butter and eggs (but in moderation).

A typical day could look like this:

Breakfast:
    Glass of water
    2 organic free range egg omlette (add some mixed herbs and black paper for flavour NOT SALT)
    Wholemeal toast with a scrape of butter and tea spoon of honey

Snack: Tea of coffee a piece of fruit

Lunch: Small tin of Tuna ( or chicken breast) with mixed leaf salad, diced onion & tomato drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of herbs.
    Glass of Water

Afternoon: Green Tea

Dinner:
    Glass of water
    Grilled Fish or chicken breast with mixed vegetables.
    followed by 5 squares of dark chocolate and a handful of mixed nuts
    or alternatively 1 scoop of organic ice cream with chopped mixed nuts.

Weight loss is 70% nutrition and 30% exercise!
    Doing a full body weights workout with a 30 second rest between sets 2-3 times a week and to take a 10,000 (brisk) step walk everyday is sufficient
    a minimum of 8hrs sleep will help with weight loss.

Google for more info and to learn about nutrition, its certain that you will have your own needs, the above is just a rough average guide/plan.

Good luck, you can do it. :smile:
  • Morryarty
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So my net says 1660 calories, but I want to go gym, which I started today, came back, completed my 1660 cals, not sure if I did it right. And do I have to always eat healthy, or can it just be same food I usually it, just has to fit with the net amount?

I don't eat like this but e.g, pizza 1000 cals, diet 500 cals pizza, till I reach 1660 cals.

Also if I'm going gym, do I have to eat more calories? I hear other people eating much lower net and working out and getting results?
    And Im trying to lose weight in 6 months, which I know I can (from 180lbs to 140-150lbs) I was told I can do it if I stick with my net, I decided to speed this up with workout, burning 500-600 cals and doing some weights. Is this right?

First, yes you can still eat pizza and other things you enjoy as part of your diet. Also, when you exercise, you are supposed to eat more. If you consistently workout, I would actually recommend either figuring out your TDEE and subtracting 20% from that or setting your account to include exercise (if you exercise 3-4 hours a week, make it lightly active; 5-6 hours a week make it moderate). This way you do not have to eat exercise calories. If you do eat back exercise calories, i would eat an additional 200-300 on lifting days and 400-500 on cardio days. Realistically, you won't burn much more than that unless you are working out more than 60 minutes a day at fully out intensity.

Additionally, I would recommend off the bat to adjust your macro nutrients to add more protein. I found that macro's around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats will help you hit 1g of protein and .35g of fats per lb of lean body mass.

And lastly, with only 30-40 lbs to lose, you should set your goal to 1 lb per week. In the first few weeks, you will probably lose more due to water weight, but your goal shouldn't be weight based, it should be composition based. Ideally, you want to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss because the more muscle you have, the more lean you will be. So having a smaller deficit will improve your look much quicker.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options

First, yes you can still eat pizza and other things you enjoy as part of your diet. Also, when you exercise, you are supposed to eat more. If you consistently workout, I would actually recommend either figuring out your TDEE and subtracting 20% from that or setting your account to include exercise (if you exercise 3-4 hours a week, make it lightly active; 5-6 hours a week make it moderate). This way you do not have to eat exercise calories. If you do eat back exercise calories, i would eat an additional 200-300 on lifting days and 400-500 on cardio days. Realistically, you won't burn much more than that unless you are working out more than 60 minutes a day at fully out intensity.

Additionally, I would recommend off the bat to adjust your macro nutrients to add more protein. I found that macro's around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats will help you hit 1g of protein and .35g of fats per lb of lean body mass.

And lastly, with only 30-40 lbs to lose, you should set your goal to 1 lb per week. In the first few weeks, you will probably lose more due to water weight, but your goal shouldn't be weight based, it should be composition based. Ideally, you want to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss because the more muscle you have, the more lean you will be. So having a smaller deficit will improve your look much quicker.

When does water weight occur, and I'm wanting to loose 2lb a week so I can reach my goal date, also what should I do to not lose water weight, but to lose weight more and keep muscles, my body has a lot of muscle, but ....covered in fat lol
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    A mixture of weight/cardio (lots of walking) and it is sensible to eat back a minimum of half your exercise calories. This will give you the nutrition to repair body tissue and build muscle whilst ensuring a calorific deficit. If you are serious about this then eat meals that consist of lean meat i.e.: Chicken/turkey fillet (not breaded) or grilled fish, lots and lots of vegetables, some fruit (3 pieces a day minimum) beans, salad. wholemeal bread (max 2 slices a day), use olive oils, butter and eggs (but in moderation).

A typical day could look like this:

Breakfast:
    Glass of water
    2 organic free range egg omlette (add some mixed herbs and black paper for flavour NOT SALT)
    Wholemeal toast with a scrape of butter and tea spoon of honey

Snack: Tea of coffee a piece of fruit

Lunch: Small tin of Tuna ( or chicken breast) with mixed leaf salad, diced onion & tomato drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of herbs.
    Glass of Water

Afternoon: Green Tea

Dinner:
    Glass of water
    Grilled Fish or chicken breast with mixed vegetables.
    followed by 5 squares of dark chocolate and a handful of mixed nuts
    or alternatively 1 scoop of organic ice cream with chopped mixed nuts.

Weight loss is 70% nutrition and 30% exercise!
    Doing a full body weights workout with a 30 second rest between sets 2-3 times a week and to take a 10,000 (brisk) step walk everyday is sufficient
    a minimum of 8hrs sleep will help with weight loss.

Google for more info and to learn about nutrition, its certain that you will have your own needs, the above is just a rough average guide/plan.

Good luck, you can do it. :smile:

Similar to the plan u showed, would this be good, if not how can. I improve

Breakfast:
    Tuna mayo cucumber tomato
    2 slices bread (white)
    360 cals

Lunch:
    Tuna mayo cucumber and tomato sandwich (2 slices white bread)
    Medium bottle of water

Dinner:
    Rice (white)
    Chicken and salad
    Water (600 cals)
    Or
    1pita bread (white)
    Chicken in tomato, carrot, and onion soup
    Water (500)

Total calories: 1400-1300
    Gym time: 2 hours, 1 hour 20 mins full body, rest on weights (enough to keep lean and not lose muscle)

Is this good enough?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

When does water weight occur, and I'm wanting to loose 2lb a week so I can reach my goal date, also what should I do to not lose water weight, but to lose weight more and keep muscles, my body has a lot of muscle, but ....covered in fat lol

Water weight will occur throughout your weight loss. When you are in a calorie deficit, your body just doesn't shed fat, it loses fat, muscle, tissue, water, etc...

Also, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive for your weight loss. That is really only good for someone obese. So if you want to mitigate muscle loss through your weight loss journey, set a more realistic goal (1 lb per week), lift weights and eat plenty of protein.