What do you do when you have a bad day with eating?

Options
I did so well with keeping at my calories goal for a few days, but now the past two days I have eaten about 400 or more calories over! (Stupid holiday food at the office)

What does everyone do to stay motivated when this happens? It feels SO bad :(

Replies

• wdwmindy
    Options
    Exercise a little more and try to eat a little less the next day. Life happens. No one is perfect.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I get up, dust myself off and remind myself that tomorrow is another day, one full of promise & that I will do better!

:flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. No need no feel the slightest remorse. Just keep at it.
  • runner_bear
    Options
    I accept that it happened and move on. Immediately. Not "oh well that's today screwed, I'll start over tomorrow". Immediately. I've had days where I overate at breakfast - but as soon as I had I decided to make healthy choices for the rest of the day, and not write-off another 2 meals.

Looking forward and not back is key, I find. Beating yourself up about something you can't change isn't healthy or productive. You can't change the choices you have already made, but you can change the decisions you will make in the future.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have a better day tomorrow.

Eating 400 calories over your goal is really not so bad. Let's assume you have set MFP to lose 1 lb a week - that is a daily deficit of 500 calories, so you would still be at a deficit for the day. Even if you were only set to lose 0.5 lbs a week, you should still be at a deficit for the week (assuming you don't significantly over-eat on the other days).

Just keep going. Every day doesn't have to be perfect.
  • DeviantStranger
    Options
    Enjoy it and move on. The object is to love life, and be happy. You can't do that by not indulging once in a while.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    This! And Don't beat yourself up. At least you feel guilt. It's when you stop caring that you get in trouble!
    I get up, dust myself off and remind myself that tomorrow is another day, one full of promise & that I will do better!

:flowerforyou:
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bin it and move on. Just be honest with yourself and log everything you eat. This time of year is hard for all of us so you're not alone. Try and get a walk in or some other exercise when you know you're going to have a calorific day. Remember this isn't a diet it's a lifestyle so these kind of days will happen occasionally. Good luck :-)
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Don't let prior mistakes be your excuse for future mistakes.
  • 4ALongerLife
    4ALongerLife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Every moment is the chance to turn it around.

Drink more water... exercise more... and remember its the long haul. There's never a finish line.

Hang in there!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning for a while to remind myself which way I want to go and be sure it isn't getting out of control.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, log it, and move on. I might try and add a little extra cardio or to eat a little less the next day but otherwise I don't do anything. Some days are higher and some days are lower than others.

400 calories isn't that much to be over for one day anyway. You might actually still be eating at a deficit (assuming your normal deficit is 500+ calories). If so, you're still losing! Albeit at a slower pace.
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Log it, go to bed, start another day. I also weigh myself the next day to take some more responsibility. Most of the time doing so is actually reassuring, unless I ate a ton of salt in that extra food, then I will gain 2 lbs in water in a single night. Of course going over by 400 calories isn't going to be a big deal for most people. It might slow your weight loss down a bit if you did it daily, but for most people 400 over wouldn't even erase their calorie deficit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. No need no feel the slightest remorse. Just keep at it.
    This.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary I went 1500 cals over yesterday. I am on track today and as long as I can/want to be. Life's too short not to enjoy the occasional reuben and beer with friends.
  • you gotta have some things you like, sometimes!
  • cucu323
    Options
    deal with it until i get my own place.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I go over the next day I lose weight.Just log it and tomorrow is a new day don't worry be happy!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Log it, improve on it the next time.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well I just keep going forward yesterday I went over by 500 or so no joke , my deficit isn't much anymore since I have it set at 0.5 lbs. a week and have already lost 32 lbs. with 9 to still lose . I weigh almost everyday to see fluctuations whatever is my lowest weight is my weight that week , meaning not counting in bloating sodium so on . My daily intake is only 100 more than it was when I was 32 lbs heavier and I focus more on weekly net calories since your body is not a robot sometimes you eat more sometimes you eat less as long as you are moving your gold .

I started my journey jan 1st of this year so it will be a whole year Jan, 1st 2014 and I feel so much better and have not killed myself at all doing this .
    Take a breath and go foward