Evening Sabotage

Options
I'm having diet issues I figured out recently that I have a stress eating problem, so I have been keeping track of what I'm eating throughout the day just to see what it is I'm putting into my body. I seem to do good for the first half of the day but after that pretty much start binging. does anybody have any tips to help me control those binges?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat enough during the day. Eat the right foods during the day; foods that fuel your body.
    Don't buy the stuff you find too tempting.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Keeping track of what you are when and why is great. I second the idea of making sure you don't go into that evening period hungry either. Perhaps keep your go to foods that you are "binging" on out of the house and stock up on alternatives that you can enjoy in moderation.

Ultimately though, perhaps working on identifying why you are eating as a response to "stress" and dealing with it will give you the greatest benefit. Maybe seek counselling, if you find you need extra support.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Do more.

Mindless eating is often simply a symptom of boredom. Especially in the evenings when winding down.

Alternatively, be sure to leave yourself sufficient calories for the evening to partake of a little of what you enjoy, and eat it slowly.
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know it's sounds silly, but consider going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. If you keep your daily meals at the same time as current you will be less likely to consume extra calories late in the evening. Night owls often have binge eating issues. I moved my bed time from 2 am to midnight and find I snack way less now.
  • AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know it's sounds silly, but consider going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. If you keep your daily meals at the same time as current you will be less likely to consume extra calories late in the evening. Night owls often have binge eating issues. I moved my bed time from 2 am to midnight and find I snack way less now.
    I wish I could go to bed earlier but unfortunately I'm mom of a three year old and 9 month old. They go to bed at 8 and I go to bed at 10.
  • AprilTom
    Options
    Keeping track of what you are when and why is great. I second the idea of making sure you don't go into that evening period hungry either. Perhaps keep your go to foods that you are "binging" on out of the house and stock up on alternatives that you can enjoy in moderation.

Ultimately though, perhaps working on identifying why you are eating as a response to "stress" and dealing with it will give you the greatest benefit. Maybe seek counselling, if you find you need extra support.
    I normally only have healthy food and snacks in my house and I usually end up eating those, its still unneeded but it isn't as bad as right now, I baked some cookies with my son the other day and I only have 3 left, my son only ate 2.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Perhaps eat light throughout the day since you seem to prefer eating more heavily during the evening.
  • AprilTom
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion you guys, I do know why I'm stress eating, I'm going threw a tough time right now, but that does not excuse it. Thankfully I have noticed the problem and I will continue to keep track of what I eat, and try and get rid of the unhelpful foods although its hard right now because its the holidays and our traditions have a lot of baking in them. I guess if I can not get threw this tough spot and control my eating myself I will go see a counselor but hopefully I can get threw this.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Do you *kitten* your feeling for binging? Like saying ok I got those extra calories I can eat one serving or 2 but then end up eating more? What are you night time snacks? And do you allow your self to have those extra special treats weekly? Like all week you dont eat anything that you think is damaging your weight loss and come the weekend you eat more unhealthy? Try to eat it once or 2xs during the week maybe?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to get my satiety under control until I started the LCHF diet. It's something that worked for me. I hope you find what works for you. Good luck.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion and Im not trying to be harsh but it seems like you need to find some kind of will power to try not to binge eating. I cant give you any pointers on your diary really cuz its not filled out too much, but maybe start tracking fiber to help you stay full longer. Eat more fruit and veggies perhaps also? And instead of night time snacking maybe drink some water first to see if you are really thirsty not hungry