Kinda gross question... How do I log THIS?

Options
So tonight was my running club's pre-NYC Marathon pasta dinner. I'm not running the marathon, but I was volunteering, and we got to eat too. I was going to ballpark my meal pretty high - I seriously ate like I was running the race.

Some of us were joking about feeling like we needed to carbo UNload. But it was just joking. I'd never MAKE myself throw up.

Well...my stomach decided it wasn't joking, and I threw up probably at least half of what I ate within an hour of eating it. (I warned you...)

HOW do I estimate the calories now? Do I put in for the whole amount or take some off for what was clearly not digested and absorbed?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'd count it all. Food is absorbed in our system sometime's more quickly than one thinks, even if it's not fully digested it's still being absorbed. But that's me, I'd make it simple for myself and just figure in what I ate and leave it at that.:flowerforyou:
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I'd log the entire meal. I'd rather overlog than underlog.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree--if it's a one-time thing (ie. not a chronic illness where you're constantly "unloading"), just count everything. Chances are, you won't need extra cals tonight since you're probably not feeling so hot, so take the hit and learn from the experience. (Seriously, though, it's a good thing you posted this. The leftover Halloween candy is screaming at me right now and I need a logical reason to avoid it.)
  • raeannefowler
    Options
    I would agree with just logging it anyway. You obviously ate more than your body wanted but there is no way of saying how many calories you actually took in. When I'm not sure how many calories I ate I will usually count high to ere on the side of caution.
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    Log the entire meal. No bonus for barfing, that's what I say.
  • aliciamille
    Options
    HAHAHA I thought you were going to ask how you log sex as a physicaly activity HAHAHAHAH....wow, where is my mind tonight?
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah...this was definitely a learning experience. I don't think I need to worry about overeating at buffets again!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yikes...I have no idea how to tell you to log that. But you did NOT digest and absorb the food you threw up. Simple carbs such as white bread begin to break down for absorption in the mouth (enzymes in the saliva) but the majority of digestion takes place in the stomach and the majority of absorption takes place in the small intestine. You don't throw up what's in the small intestine. The problem is, you don't know how much of what you ate had already passed to the small intestine and how much was still being digested in the stomach.

As far as logging, I dunno. Just log it all and call it a night! Hope you feel better though.... :)
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks friend! Yeah...I know it was just my stomach saying "TOO MUCH FOOD" because once it was up, I felt better right away. Not even shaky or anything.

Ok...going to sleep now. Pancake breakfast volunteering tomorrow. I know I don't have to worry about overeating tomorrow at all! Lesson is learned!!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    def count it all! there is no way to know how many or the calories were already absorbed :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Log the entire meal. No bonus for barfing, that's what I say.

No bonus for barfing sounds like it could be the name of a band.
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    No bonus for barfing sounds like it could be the name of a band.

They'd have a grungy, garage-band sound, but only do 1980's cover songs.