Is this an alright breakfast?

Options
I have a hard time knowing if what I'm eating is ideal or if i am sabotaging myself in some way. I would love to hear what you think of my breakfast and how you would do better...

Today I am having a half a cup of oatmeal (with water), a half a banana in my oatmeal, and a grapefruit.

I love constructive criticism so please let me know.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, were you hungry afterwards? Does it fit into your overall day in terms of calories, macronutrients. and micronutrients? Those are the questions that you need to ask yourself. -What- you are actually eating is less important.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It all depends like Reality Is Harsh said. If your looking to loose weight then yes thats a very nutritious breakfast and if you are full then by all means not a bad breakfast at all. i almost eat grapefruit daily now
  • lr773
    lr773 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes I do feel full afterwards but I guess I am also asking about it in terms of how long I will stay full for. I woke up at noon today so this breakfast is actually more of a lunch... I plan on having an apple and peanut butter mid day and then dinner at around 5:30 so I am especially concerned about how long it keeps me full..

Also, I do not know much about micro and macro nutrients...what are those?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Could use some protein.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients are the "energy" nutrients that we typically need large amounts of and comprise the makeup of the caloric content of a food. Carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Ideally you should be looking to consume roughly .8-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. (your body weight minus your fat mass weight). For fats you should be looking at around .35g per pound of total bodyweight. Carbs will make up the remainder. **Note: This is just a general guideline.**

Micronutrients are things like vitamins, minerals, etc.

As for your breakfast being filling, you'll just have to wait and see. You ate a mixture of carbohydrates that included fiber, so you may be fine, but you should also think about adding in a protein source to your day to help keep you full. Something as simple as two boiled eggs are low in calories, high in protein, and high in fat, so they are a good choice.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i usually eat a 6.5 oz of grapefruit cup in the morning and one fiber one bar or a Special K red berries bar and I eat at 9 and usually start to get hungry a little after 1130. If I have nuts instead of the fiber one or special k bar then im usually fuller longer. its all trial and error and see what works for your body and see what will keep you full longer for. Also remember to drink water to keep you full in between meals cuz more often then not your body needs water
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Could use some protein.

I am in the same boat of eating oatmeal with a banana, no protein, almost every morning and I realize I need protein, too, just haven't found anything I just love in the morning. I guess I need to throw an egg white or two on the side. Sometimes I have almonds on my oatmeal, too.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Awful breakfast. Can't think of anything less appetising. Would rather have a full English.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how about making your oatmeal with milk (if you dont have issues with dairy) and there's some protein there. you could also pre-boil eggs and have 1 or 2 boiled eggs (not in the oatmeal of course).
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would swap the grapefruit for 3 turkey sausage links to up your protein. I frequently have oatmeal with cranberries in it and sausage links.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Alright breakfast for what?

Personally, I'd scrap the oatmeal and fruit, and eat an omelette with vegies instead.

Getting protein, fats and carbs in every meal will probably get you to feel more satisfied throughout the day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast is just fine if it satisfies you. If you want more protein, add a tablespoon of almond butter or peanut butter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast is just fine if it satisfies you. If you want more protein, add a tablespoon of almond butter or peanut butter.

But that's a fat....there's more protein in the oats...
    Adding fat would make it more satisfying though
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then it's good! sounds like a **** breakfast to me though!

I don't even eat breakfast, and I do ok!
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pure carbs for breakfast? Add some protein and/or fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

But that's a fat....there's more protein in the oats...
    Adding fat would make it more satisfying though
    There's nothing wrong with fat. In fact, there's nothing wrong with any food or combination of foods. The point is to eat within your calorie goals.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Seems rather unsatisfying to me but nutritionally it should be fine. My problem with oats alone is that I get shaky and hungry mid morning, which is why my breakfast is usually a bunch of protein and fat (aka 2 eggs +1 white, half an avocado and smoked salmon). Adding fat to your oats through almond butter or coconut oil should do the trick.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time knowing if what I'm eating is ideal or if i am sabotaging myself in some way. I would love to hear what you think of my breakfast and how you would do better...

Today I am having a half a cup of oatmeal (with water), a half a banana in my oatmeal, and a grapefruit.

I love constructive criticism so please let me know.
    It's fine. Not sure what you mean by "ideal", but perfection isn't necessary. :smile:

Honestly, if you feel ok eating that for breakfast, then continue. If not, see what you're missing. If you don't find it filling enough, then consider adding more protein/fibre/fats (or having a larger amount). If you find it hard to meet your protein goal for the day, then obviously it might help to add a bit more to your breakfast. Otherwise, don't overthink it. Eat what you enjoy and what helps you meet your goals.