Research into sugar addiction.

13»

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Mr Knight,

I think you have a very narrow definition of addiction and you really have not added anything of value here. I'm going to post the definition of addiction here because I'll admit I'm a little shocked at the lack of understanding of what defines addiction.

Addiction

Main Entry: ad·dic·tion Pronunciation: \ə-ˈdik-shən\
    Function: noun: 

compulsive physiological need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; 

broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be physically, psychologically, or socially harmful.

There are studies posted above that show sugar creates habit forming psychological and physiological changes. There is evidence posted above that demonstrates the removal of sugar can generate physiological symptoms and signs in the brain.

There is growing evidence that the amount/quantity of sugar consumed in the American diet is harmful.

Do you have any research, scientific articles, data that refutes the information already posted?
    1. The consumption of sugar is actually lower than it was 100 years ago, why is it suddenly harmful now if it wasn't then?

2. Exercise has been shown to have those same brain effects. As I've already said, those are generally normal mental functions that illicit drugs co-opt. They aren't "drug addict reactions" that food somehow emulates.

3. There really isn't enough science to even come close to validating the "sugar is an addiction" hypothesis. The closest I've seen is a study where scientists said it MIGHT be possible.

Someone recently posted a study refuting the entire hypothesis, but I don't have it in front of me, and I seem to have lost the thread it was in. I'll try to track it down.

Thanks, tiger. Would love to see it.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    1. The consumption of sugar is actually lower than it was 100 years ago, why is it suddenly harmful now if it wasn't then?

2. Exercise has been shown to have those same brain effects. As I've already said, those are generally normal mental functions that illicit drugs co-opt. They aren't "drug addict reactions" that food somehow emulates.

3. There really isn't enough science to even come close to validating the "sugar is an addiction" hypothesis. The closest I've seen is a study where scientists said it MIGHT be possible.

Someone recently posted a study refuting the entire hypothesis, but I don't have it in front of me, and I seem to have lost the thread it was in. I'll try to track it down.

1. According to whom? Seriously, I would like to read that information.

2. Actually in one of the studies I already posted they found evidence that *sugar* does create an effect in the brain similar to drug addiction.

3. Okay, this invalidates posting the research, to date, on the subject why?

Last part, unnumbered: Cool. I'm looking for data either way.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    For those of you that don't believe that sugar is addicting..............try living with someone that is a sugar addict.

I don't buy it. He sneaks and eats it at work. He "has" to have it.........goes through similar withdrawal symptoms that someone that is an alcoholic goes through when he doesn't have sugar.

At home he way over consumes fruit, fruit and more fruit. He loves the sweetest fruits. It throws his blood work off.

It's very frustrating to say the least.

So what does he do? Buy bags of sugar and eat it straight? I don't get how a sugar 'addiction' works.

He has had sugar poisoning when he was a kid and broke out in blisters that left scars on a few parts of his body...

He used to eat sugar right out of the bowl on the kitchen table..........started when he was a kid and still does this.

He can eat a whole cake or batch of cookies if I bake it in a very short time. His body craves sugar like an alcoholic craves alcohol.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I worked... and I sold to others who had the addictions... but never stole.

My apologies - I forgot to include "deal drugs to kids" in the list of law-breaking possibilities.

I won't make that mistake again.
    You kinda got pwned. Just say: you're right, my bad. Or something similar.

Sorry. Don't see it that way at all.

If some of y'all want to call your lack of food eating discipline a "sugar addiction" - hey, go for it, there's nothing I or anybody else can do to stop you. Ultimately, being an addict is a lot like being a member of a religion - if you say you are, then, well, you are.

Just don't expect to be taken seriously...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

1. According to whom? Seriously, I would like to read that information.

I'm not sure what the poster you are responding to had in mind, but I do know when this topic came up before it turned out that the recent increase in sugar consumption is a fraction of the increase in sugar consumption that occurred in the US between Independence (1776) and 1930. That previous era had an 8-fold (700%) increase, and since then has gone up barely 50%.

And somehow, that earlier larger, longer ramp in sugar consumption didn't cause obesity problems or any other kind of problems.

I'm afraid the key to this health riddle is not what the Sugar Nazis want it to be.
  • fruttibiscotti
    RESEARCH ARTICLE
    Intense Sweetness Surpasses Cocaine Reward
    Magalie Lenoir equal contributor,

Fuschia Serre equal contributor,

Lauriane Cantin,

Serge H. Ahmed mail

Published: August 01, 2007DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0000698

Abstract

Background

Refined sugars (e.g., sucrose, fructose) were absent in the diet of most people until very recently in human history. Today overconsumption of diets rich in sugars contributes together with other factors to drive the current obesity epidemic. Overconsumption of sugar-dense foods or beverages is initially motivated by the pleasure of sweet taste and is often compared to drug addiction. Though there are many biological commonalities between sweetened diets and drugs of abuse, the addictive potential of the former relative to the latter is currently unknown.

Methodology/Principal findings

Here we report that when rats were allowed to choose mutually-exclusively between water sweetened with saccharin–an intense calorie-free sweetener–and intravenous cocaine–a highly addictive and harmful substance–the large majority of animals (94%) preferred the sweet taste of saccharin. The preference for saccharin was not attributable to its unnatural ability to induce sweetness without calories because the same preference was also observed with sucrose, a natural sugar. Finally, the preference for saccharin was not surmountable by increasing doses of cocaine and was observed despite either cocaine intoxication, sensitization or intake escalation–the latter being a hallmark of drug addiction.

Conclusions

Our findings clearly demonstrate that intense sweetness can surpass cocaine reward, even in drug-sensitized and -addicted individuals. We speculate that the addictive potential of intense sweetness results from an inborn hypersensitivity to sweet tastants. In most mammals, including rats and humans, sweet receptors evolved in ancestral environments poor in sugars and are thus not adapted to high concentrations of sweet tastants. The supranormal stimulation of these receptors by sugar-rich diets, such as those now widely available in modern societies, would generate a supranormal reward signal in the brain, with the potential to override self-control mechanisms and thus to lead to addiction.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Here's an article that uses the dsm-iv criteria to classify food addictions. Gives a good framework to establish a definition of what an addiction is, and how it relates to food.

Refined food addiction: A classic substance use disorder

q J.R. Ifland a,*, H.G. Preuss b, M.T. Marcus c, K.M. Rourke a, W.C. Taylor d,
    K. Burau d, W.S. Jacobs e, W. Kadish a, G. Manso f

Received 22 October 2008 Accepted 6 November 2008

summary
    Overeating in industrial societies is a significant problem, linked to an increasing incidence of overweight and obesity, and the resultant adverse health consequences. We advance the hypothesis that a possible explanation for overeating is that processed foods with high concentrations of sugar and other refined sweeteners, refined carbohydrates, fat, salt, and caffeine are addictive substances. Therefore, many people lose control over their ability to regulate their consumption of such foods. The loss of control over these foods could account for the global epidemic of obesity and other metabolic disorders. We assert that overeating can be described as an addiction to refined foods that conforms to the DSM-IV criteria for sub- stance use disorders. To examine the hypothesis, we relied on experience with self-identified refined foods addicts, as well as critical reading of the literature on obesity, eating behavior, and drug addiction. Reports by self-identified food addicts illustrate behaviors that conform to the 7 DSM-IV criteria for sub- stance use disorders. The literature also supports use of the DSM-IV criteria to describe overeating as a substance use disorder. The observational and empirical data strengthen the hypothesis that certain refined food consumption behaviors meet the criteria for substance use disorders, not unlike tobacco and alcohol. This hypothesis could lead to a new diagnostic category, as well as therapeutic approaches to changing overeating behaviors.

Conclusion
    The epidemic of illness related to overweight and obesity is a public health problem of great significance. Unfortunately, pa- tients’ attempts to reduce weight have been disturbingly resistant to known treatment approaches. In this paper, we advanced the hypothesis that a fundamental reason for this failure is that many people suffer from an addiction to refined foods. The observational and empirical data in support of this hypothesis were discussed in the framework of the DSM-IV criteria for addictive disorders. Although these findings do not establish the existence of such a syndrome, they are sufficiently compelling to warrant further basic and clinical research.
    The hypothesis for refined food addiction is attractive because it provides an explanatory context by which the obesity epidemic and its myriad adverse health consequences can be understood in the same framework as the epidemic of tobacco addiction and its attendant consequences. The syndrome may also be understood in the framework of addictions and evolution, ‘‘Psychoactive sub- stances. . . disrupt the very emotions that evolved to regulate our behavior. They arouse reward mechanism artificially, thus stimu- lating the circuits that are normally fired by an events that provide a huge gain in fitness; but they provide no fitness gain, they simply create an illusion” [77].
    In the absence of an addiction framework, irrational overeating of refined foods remains a puzzle without a solution. With the pos- sible validation of the refined food addiction syndrome, the health community could move forward with recommendations of absti- nence from specific substances. We sincerely hope that the addic- tion research community will explore this hypothesis with targeted research.

Ó 2008 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Show me one person that lost their house, family, job and life to sugar!
  • fruttibiscotti
    Relation of Reward From Food Intake and Anticipated Food Intake to Obesity: A Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study

Eric Stice and Sonja Spoor Cara Bohon Oregon Research Institute University of Oregon
    Marga G. Veldhuizen and Dana M. Small Yale University and John B. Pierce Laboratory

The authors tested the hypothesis that obese individuals experience greater reward from food consump- tion (consummatory food reward) and anticipated consumption (anticipatory food reward) than lean individuals using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) with 33 adolescent girls (mean age ???? 15.7, SD ???? 0.9). Obese relative to lean adolescent girls showed greater activation bilaterally in the gustatory cortex (anterior and mid insula, frontal operculum) and in somatosensory regions (parietal operculum and Rolandic operculum) in response to anticipated intake of chocolate milkshake (vs. a tasteless solution) and to actual consumption of milkshake (vs. a tasteless solution); these brain regions encode the sensory and hedonic aspects of food. However, obese relative to lean adolescent girls also showed decreased activation in the caudate nucleus in response to consumption of milkshake versus a tasteless solution, potentially because they have reduced dopamine receptor availability. Results suggest that individuals who show greater activation in the gustatory cortex and somatosensory regions in response to anticipation and consumption of food, but who show weaker activation in the striatum during food intake, may be at risk for overeating and consequent weight gain.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    I am currently reading a book called The Diet Delusion. Written by Gary Taubes. I am finding it very interesting it covers all the general topics of diet including low fat and sugar and also gives the names of the studies and the references and authors of the studies.

I am not saying I stand by everything he is saying I am saying this is a good starting point, maybe check it out at the local library...

Quote from BMJ

BMJ 2009; 339 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b5604 (Published 23 December 2009)
    Cite this as: BMJ 2009;339:b5604

David Colquhoun, professor of pharmacology, University College London

d.colquhoun@ucl.ac.uk

Few topics are more widely discussed than what we should eat to stay healthy. And there are few topics where the evidence is so lacking in quality. It is also a topic that is besieged by gurus, cranks, and supplement hucksters. Gary Taubes is a journalist—but he is quite an exceptional journalist. His book The Diet Delusion is more complete and more scholarly than most professional scientists could manage
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Ugh, Taubes has actually been discredited and torn to shreds many times. He completely cherry picks his work, ignoring and hiding any information that refutes his pet theory (which is actually about as unscientific as you can get.)

He's also been involved in a few scandals for unethical behavior, stemming from his various books. Fabricating evidence, intentionally misrepresenting data. He's certainly NOT a trustworthy source.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    In to read the arguing/discussion sandwiched between article quotes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Ugh, Taubes has actually been discredited and torn to shreds many times. He completely cherry picks his work, ignoring and hiding any information that refutes his pet theory (which is actually about as unscientific as you can get.)

He's also been involved in a few scandals for unethical behavior, stemming from his various books. Fabricating evidence, intentionally misrepresenting data. He's certainly NOT a trustworthy source.

He's great at what he sets out to do though. And that is to make a lot of money selling books.

For a look at a critique of one of his books by an actual scientist, look below. It backs up what Tiger is saying.
    http://weightology.net/?p=265
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    In for morphing definitions and cherry picking data to make excuses for irresponsible behavior. Hell, even drug addicts and alcoholics stop. You have a problem eating too much? Stop doing that.