Xbox Kinect

Options
Hi All,

I was thinking if anyone knows how you would log the major workout on the new Xbox Kinect. The only game that tracks calories is Shape It, but the sports game and some others are just as energetic. I have logged my Wii Sports calories on here a lot but now hope to manage my Kinect ones too.

Any Ideas apart from getting a HRM?

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer other than use a HRM to calculate it but my question is which one do you like best WII or Kinect? We are getting my 4 year old a Wii for Christmas but thinking now maybe we should go with Kinect since it's newer technology.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing...think I might just log my Wii workout times 2. :blushing:

I definitely felt like I got more of a workout using Kinects than I ever have playing Wii and Wii Fit.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Hey, I just bought the Kinect! I'm so excited to try it out. :)

Not to thread-hijack, but what games do you all recommend for fitness? I tried out Dance Central at a friends house and loved it. I'm also pretty sure I want to buy the Zumba game when it comes out. What's the Shape It one that you mentioned?
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    OT: I think a HRM is the only way you are going to figure out calories burnt for a program that does not give an estimate.

Off Topic: Squeee! I got mine, the first night I hit Rallyball and Reflex Ridge with it, and it was one heck of a work out. I loved it. Tonight I got Your Shape: Fitness Evolved... It is simply awesome. I did about 45 minutes of working out not including a 6 minute zen class for cool down. I have not felt this worked out in a long time. Now typically, I do 30 minutes to 1 hour per day on the tread mill 90% of the time since march, I though I was in a lot better shape in terms of energy level, but this really kicked my tail on beginner.

So my recommendation is look at the fitness games available, research what they come with. After looking and deciding between Biggest Looser and Your Shape:FE I went with your shape, It seemed like it offered more in terms of well rounded complete work outs. The feedback from the game is great for me to help improve my form.

The things I like about Your Shape - 1) Personal Trainer, Great feedback and a good work out. They have what feels like good stop points and you can decide on how long you need to go. Also the tutorials to help teach you the basics of each new exercise. Bad thing, if you dont do the exercise right in the tutorial you will be stuck on it lol. 2) Fitness Classes - I have only done the Zen Class so far as a cool down as recomended by the program. That said, it also has a cardio boxing class too. 3) Set up - Its pretty cool for the personal trainer, it has you go through some basic exercises to help evaluate your level and based on the goals you set, it tailors the work outs around that. But you do have the option to change it at any time.
  • CreativeRedhead
    Options
    I actually can't wait to get Kinect....totally looking forward to it wearing me out. :tongue:
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    OP: I just logged Dance Connection and the Kinect Adventures games as Wii Fit exercise (beginner or low intensity) or Wii Fit exercise (advanced or high intensity) depending on how much I felt like I did. It's not a perfect estimate, but oh well.

dresdenkali - Thanks for the detailed review! I'm definitely going to look into getting Your Shape. I'm loving the Adventures and DC so far. Reflex Ridge is such a great workout - especially when you're on the harder levels and you're jumping/ducking constantly. And Dance Connection is a blast. I can't wait to get to the harder levels. :D

Is anyone planning to buy the Zumba game when it comes out?