T25 versus insanity

Options
Hi my name is Joy I am looking to buy myself a Christmas present (always do I deserve it). I am currently following jillian michaels body revolution and loving it but have been eyeing up insanity for a while. My worry is I have a busy life work full time often night shifts and have 3 kids with special needs and a home to run. I am worried insanity workouts will take too long and maybe t25 will be better as the workouts are shorter. I also in addition to JM, run (half marathon training) and am doing stronglifts. I have a good level of fitness but have fibromyalgia so suffer joint pain. Can you give me positives and negatives to each programme please.

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Bump would like to hear people's opinions.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I can't speak about Focus T25, never tried it. I have done two rounds of Insanity though.

Hmm. Insanity. Well, its aptly named, that much I am sure of.

Insanity is tough. Its jarring. You're not going to find a person on the dvd doing "alternative" moves in case you can't do what they do. The purpose of Insanity to basically mimic and keep up, if you can. Or collapse, which is far more likely.

With the exception of ONE OPTIONAL DVD? Insanity, is basically a bodyweight program. Variations of jumps, squats, pushups, burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, kickboxing, etc, etc, etc.

Insanity is a six-day a week program.

Month 1 Insanity is 40-45 minutes per dvd.

Month 2 Insanity is 50-60 minutes per dvd.

But that's just the exercise. The eating program is where Insanity works.

First, you need a sub 2000 calorie intake.

Then... well... okay heres the thing, see, I've noticed, if you aren't eating roughly to the plan of Insanity which is high protein/high carb/low fat (40/40/20 macro)? You are not going to recover the way you need to, so that you can do the workout the next day.

That said, would I recommend a shorter workout to you, because of your situation.

YES.

I'd look at P90X3 or Focus T-25, miss, more so than these really long workouts if you are worried about duration. They're both similar, erm, uhh, on face value. That being they're 25 to 30 minute workouts. Better to bang out a 1/2 hour than none at all, I say.

Finally... attitude. Hmm. I like Insanity, but that's it. I like it. Barely. Like a distant relative that's welcome for a little bit and then needs to go away. FAR AWAY. Insanity is a challenge, but its nothing I want to do day in, day out, every day forever and ever amen.

Consider that factor, too.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm doing T25 right now and I love it. I've only done a few of the Insanity workouts (not the whole program, but there's a few on youtube), but I have done Turbo Fire which can take up to an hour. Month 1 of Insanity isn't too long or hard to fit in, but month 2 is longer (at least that's what I've heard). It's much easier to not only fit T25 into a schedule, but I find myself pushing harder since I'm not "pacing" myself for those hour long workouts! I've also done Body Revolution (got sick in the last 2 weeks, but I still did most of it!), and loved the convenience and simplicity of 1 well rounded program that I could fit in easily. So if time is an issue for you, I would go with T25. Now that there's Gamma, you can also do it for 90 days! I do love that while the workouts aren't longer, the intensity definitely heats up in the later workouts. So you still feel like you're progressing. And of course, having a modifier sounds like it would be great for you. It's not only great for this program, but since the moves in Insanity can be similar, you can use the modifications that you learned in T25 for Insanity if you decide to purchase it later on. There are double workouts one day a week, but it's better than 4-6 days. But anyways, it's a great program and I really love it. So my vote is for T25.
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have done both. If you're looking for fat loss then T25 is the way to go. It's packed with cardio with some strength training and conditioning. The workouts are short (28 minutes total to include cool down). I do like T25 for those days that I'm pressed for time and just need to get something good in quick.

Insanity, however, got my body into shape like never before. It was hard, challenging every single day and I felt great after every workout. It does not require any equipment as it's all body weight training. I would not recommend it for beginners though as it could cause injury. I also feel that a weight training program should be included a few days a week.

As the previous poster JJordan pointed out, P90X3 just released and may be a better option for you. It's 30 minutes a day and combines all aspects of an amazing program. If you have any questions I can try my best to help you! I am a personal trainer as well as a coach so I have tried most everything! :)
  • april1445
    Options
    I haven't done T25, but I'm doing insanity right now, and while it's very motivating, and Shaun T is fun, it's not very time-efficient. I would try T25 just for that reason.
  • joybedford
    Options
    I am not worried about the length of the DVDs with insanity as I usually workout for 1 hour+ anyway but I also do a strength training programme and run as well so a long workout would be too much with everything else I have going on. Time is only a problem when I am on nights as I can only sleep when the kids are at school and have commitments to them (dance classes etc) Thanks I will look at all the options but I think t25 is winning for now.
  • vbodyme
    vbodyme Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I too completed Insanity and am now on GAMMA phase for T25, which is divided into 3 phases and the 1st set of dvds only comes with the first 2 phases. GAMMA is optional and it's involves more weights. You will love T25 if you're thinking of going that way, but notice the program is different and as mentioned above it's a matter of choosing what you want to achieve. My results have been great after both, but different for sure. T25 will target a lot more stamina and will shrink you. I hear the test group got even better results with P90X3. I miss the endurance from Insanity - it was fantastic and today I'm a coach because of that program -, but I remember many times having to schedule other things according to my workout. Today, with T25, my schedule is a lot more flexible and I schedule my workout according to everything else. Best of luck! Either way it's a win :)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    No contest - get Insanity. I started Focus T25 a couple of weeks ago and I'm not impressed. I've previously done Insanity and got great results (lost 1.5 stone) because its serious exercise, whereas T25 is too...soft. Obviously, my views are based only on T25 Alpha as I'm 2 weeks in.

IMO, T25 is aimed at a much softer audience i.e. ones who wouldn't do anything too hard, or people that are really overweight or people just too afraid to really push themselves. Far too much dancing and/or silly exercises for me and not enough calorie burn. The 25 minutes 5 days per week sounds great and I thought I was getting insanity in a shorter timeframe but its not.

Insanity is much better - proper exercise designed for proper results. No silly dancing, no silly clapping, just proper heart busting workouts that burn tons of calories. If time isn't an issue, definitely get insanity if you want proper results.

Its a shame because I think they had a chance to make a really great workout anyone could do i.e. insanity like intensity in 25 minutes, but they softened it up. They should have made it more like Insanity: Fast and Furious (the 21 minute version) which is 10000x better than T25 (again, I'm basing this only on Alpha).

So, Insanity FTW :)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, P90x3 is out now - why not consider that?
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like T25 and Insanity. Insanity is definitely much more difficult!! It's an amazing workout. You have to push yourself like never before. I am enjoying T25, but it as a workout definitely doesn't compare to Insanity. Insanity, however, did cause me a lot of joint issues.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing T25 and I love it. I love that I am burning calories and working up a sweat and I love that it is only 25 minutes a day!! My husband is even doing it with me. These are the first workout DVD's that I have ever bought. I want to work up to doing Insanity or P90X but right now T25 is getting me there.
  • staceylaitinen
    Options
    I just want to say that, in T25's defense, it gets harder as the weeks go. I am just starting week 5 and really have to push myself and still do the modifications with the push-ups. Also I have heard that Beta gets tougher. If you are super fit, I think you just work faster, I still have some weight to lose and I want to get more in shape. I am noticing change.
    That being said, I did the first 5 weeks of insanity and I love, love it. I can make all sorts of excuses for not finishing but they are not important. Insanity is also awesome and I will complete it. I just wouldn't say T25 isn't good. It is half the time and fits my lifestyle better because I can commit to it.
  • joybedford
    Options
    Regarding p90x3 I have a pull up bar but it is in a different room to my DVD player would this be a problem. I have no means of playing a DVD where my pull up bar is. I am fortunate to have a home gym and like the idea of p90x but the DVD player issue puts me off. I am even more confused now. I am thinking insanity but am worried all the jumping will affect my knees. I have fibromyalgia so I suffer joint pain at times will insanity be too much. Running doesn't affect my joints but I think jump squats etc might. Want to order in time for Christmas. Also looked at turbo fire getting myself totally confused. Help me please.
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned Turbo fire.I have Insanity (never finished) and Turbo fire. I did Turbo Kick at my gym and bought the DVD's for home. Insanity was a little to much for me, but I LOVE Turbo fire!!! I only use it to fill in when I don't go to the gym. But when I was doing it 4 and 5 times a week my joints did hurt. They do have a 30 min dvd and a couple of HIIT dvds less than 30 min. I am hoping Santa brings me T25 though! Good luck with your decision.
  • IveGotStitch
    IveGotStitch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing Insanity now. Love it, I was reasonably fit when I started, but man do I sweat! I can't always workout in same room at home, so invested in a small cheap portable DVD player. Sometimes , when I workout early in the morning, I take it to the gym, which is on my way to work, and hideout with it in a studio...... Sounds weird I know, but the studio has spring floors so easier on my knees (which I have had problems with in the past, so I listen to my body and wear good shoes). Doing it this way means I get it done and get it done early, (I procrastinate at home sometimes). Also I can do a short treadmill run after to are it up to the hour.

You haven't yet really said what your fitness goals are...
    Maintain fitness level?
    Quick results on fitness and body shape?
    Improving strength?

None of your options are bad...., maybe just pick one and work through the others later in the year.

Have fun!:smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    When training for a half marathon you shouldn't be supplementing it with a program like this. You won't see the improvements you need in running because you will be overworking yourself. Wait until after you're done training for the half.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I haven't done insanity but loved t25 so much I am on day 2 of gamma it is challenging for me. It have bad knees and I'm able to do some low impact modifications.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Get what ever is cheaper.
    Remember with Insanity, you only have to do 25min out of 35 or 45 min. You can even pick and choose what you want to do.

T25 you don't have that room to wiggle.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Regarding p90x3 I have a pull up bar but it is in a different room to my DVD player would this be a problem. I have no means of playing a DVD where my pull up bar is. I am fortunate to have a home gym and like the idea of p90x but the DVD player issue puts me off. I am even more confused now. I am thinking insanity but am worried all the jumping will affect my knees. I have fibromyalgia so I suffer joint pain at times will insanity be too much. Running doesn't affect my joints but I think jump squats etc might. Want to order in time for Christmas. Also looked at turbo fire getting myself totally confused. Help me please.

If you are worried about the jumping and your knees, do NOT get Insanity. It is VERY high impact and you do a LOT of jumping, especially in the plyo DVD. It sounds like T25 is more your speed, I own both and while Insanity is a great workout, so is T25. I burn more calories per minute doing T25 because I don't have to keep pressing pause to feel like I'm not going to die like I do in Insanity, and yes, Insanity does get easier over time, but it is NEVER easy. It's an extremely challenging workout - even for people who are already physically fit. I lift 4 times a week and do a boxing class twice a week and run when my schedule allows...and Insanity was still extremely hard for me. T25 is challenging as well, but it's more about losing fat than building endurance. Insanity is geared more toward building endurance.
  • joybedford
    Options
    My husband got me t25 for Christmas I showed him the infomercials and left it to him to decide. He got me all 3 phases and the core speed disc too. I am a lucky girl. I won't be starting it until after my half marathon in May as I need to train for that and finish jillian michaels body revolution. Thanks everyone for your input. I am sure I will do insanity one day too but excited to do this. If anyone wants to add me feel free I could use the support.