Splenda vs Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Have you guys tried the french vanilla spenda in the coffee isle? Awesome!! I haven't been logging it due to laziness. That is all.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the idea of eating heavily processed foods so drink tea and coffee without sugar. In baking we use regular sugar, but stupidly I drink diet soda to preserve my teeth. Go figure!!:laugh: :noway: :embarassed: :frown:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't add sugar, or eat foods with much added sugar. I try to avoid splenda, but will eat a few things with it.

Sugar typically causes me to have cravings, and if I eat too much, my blood sugars go all over the place. I just avoid it mostly.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I tried to use Splenda for a few days. I had had Splenda in coffee several times early in the day and during the day was doing a stair climbing challenge. I got very light headed and gave up the stair climbing challenge but the dizziness remained and got so bad I eventually got sick to my stomach at work. I couldn't even get out of the building and onto the bus by myself. I had to have my son come and take me home where I go sick several more times until my stomach got cleared out -- the interesting thing was that I didn't bring up anything except some fluids and several sticky white globs which I believe was the Splenda. I haven't used it since and have never had a repeat of that experience. I currently don't use any sweetener in my coffee (if I have any coffee at all) and am even drinking only decaf. to wean myself off of coffee as well.
  • shaneamckinney
    shaneamckinney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unrefined sugar (or honey) , always in moderation.
    *** Consume appropriate for your planned activity. ***
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Splenda tastes weird ... It has a weird chlorine-like aftertaste ... and xylitol give you a weird cooling sensation, then there's stevia, which tastes like bitter glower petals ... Nope, nope ... Thanks, but I'll just stick with the unbleached sugar (evaporated can juice), molasses, maple syrup, and honey ... they taste WAY better ...

I'd rather eat bee spittle than fake laboratory sugar ...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tried to use Splenda for a few days. I had had Splenda in coffee several times early in the day and during the day was doing a stair climbing challenge. I got very light headed and gave up the stair climbing challenge but the dizziness remained and got so bad I eventually got sick to my stomach at work. I couldn't even get out of the building and onto the bus by myself. I had to have my son come and take me home where I go sick several more times until my stomach got cleared out -- the interesting thing was that I didn't bring up anything except some fluids and several sticky white globs which I believe was the Splenda. I haven't used it since and have never had a repeat of that experience. I currently don't use any sweetener in my coffee (if I have any coffee at all) and am even drinking only decaf. to wean myself off of coffee as well.
    How do you know it was splenda and not, say, a virus?
  • shaydenee
    Options
    Hi,

Splenda is a staple in my home, I love tea or coffee with it and cannot have oatmeal unless it's sweetened. That being said, i came across an article that has made me question removing it from my diet altogether.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/10/new-study-of-splenda-reveals-shocking-information-about-potential-harmful-effects.aspx

Apparently Spenda does the following and may have more side effects:
    •Reduces the amount of good bacteria in your intestines by 50 percent
    •Increases the pH level in your intestines, and
    •Affects a glycoprotein in your body that can have crucial health effects, particularly if you’re on certain medications
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I drink a Starbucks almost everyday - not the skinny or sugar free variety. I do not like the taste of artificial sweetners. With that said, I've still lost over 40 lbs by consuming regular sugar. The sugar debate is huge on MFP so do what works for you. :drinker:
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Splenda tastes weird ... It has a weird chlorine-like aftertaste ... and xylitol give you a weird cooling sensation, then there's stevia, which tastes like bitter glower petals ... Nope, nope ... Thanks, but I'll just stick with the unbleached sugar (evaporated can juice), molasses, maple syrup, and honey ... they taste WAY better ...

I'd rather eat bee spittle than fake laboratory sugar ...

^ this!

Beside the fact that artificial sweeteners give me headaches, I just can't get over the gross aftertaste. If real sugar wont fit into my calories, it just isn't worth it!
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use splenda all the time even though its a controversial subject. I couldn't find concrete evidence either way.
  • NiteOwlNY
    NiteOwlNY Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I decided last year to try and cut out my sugar and I switched to Splenda. Never in my life have I been so sick, it set off GERD and Asthma in me that as soon as I stopped using it, everything stopped. I've found more bad info on splenda than good, use real sugar in moderation.