can't argue with counting calories!

Options
Calories never lie.
My lasted failed diet was the Every Other Day Diet, sure I lost 4 pounds the first week but gained 2 pounds the second week.
Counting calories is a drag, but calories are the culprit!

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Nope. Counting calories is they key!!
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Counting cals is the only way I have ever been able to lose weight and I will probably have to forever and im fine with that. It gets easier the longer you do it :flowerforyou:
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's really a good accountability tool and helps you stay honest with food. Also, if you use MFP, you have a wonderful history of foods you enjoyed which didn't make your calories go over (sometimes I get bored with the same ol. and I'll look at what I've eaten in the past for inspiration). It's not a drag, it's an adventure into gastronomy!
  • PeanutButter929
    Options
    Lots of encouragement here, thanks.
    Yes, let's face it, weight gain is a result of eating more calories than you need or use.
    One of the reasons I am challenged by counting calories is: it's not perfect. Some things can only be estimated. I have to accept the fact that if I'm putting forth an effort to be honest and accurate, my best is good enough. It's better than not counting. At the very least it keeps me conscious of the amount of food I'm consuming.
  • Buksh12
    Buksh12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I find it works for me! before i joined this site i used to tell myself "i'll work it off" bearing in mind i was talking about a takeaway pizza or two take away chicken burgers!

When i joined this site i carried on as i was, and quickly realised i eat too much and too much of the wrong stuff ( i still do i wont deny it because i love food and i love anything naughty that im not meant to have! :blushing:

But in counting calories it taught me to watch what i eat and that actually i dont burn it off. i started swapping a chocolate bar in work to a fruit salad, or a bacon barm for breakfast to a bowl of porridge. water instead of coke and so on.

it works for me admittedly i stopped counting a while back and kind of leapt off the band wagon.. but im back! :) and making small changes im not going to count excercise as much but monitor my calorie intake. 1 sugar in my coffee instead of 3, diet coke instead of a beer with my meal e.t.c

it works :) and after xmas i can make the changes slightly bigger but im going to enjoy new year! :D:D:drinker: whilst counting still so i dont slip too far! :)
  • albloomfield60
    Options
    I did the Adkins diet 10 years ago and lost 60 lbs. on it. While on it they constantly talked about Adkins diet has to be a life change, you have to change the way you eat. Even while losing weight, I knew that was a diet that I couldn't be on my entire life. I always wanted to have carbs, or see a commercial and I'd think, man I'd love to go eat that.

I started counting calories 2 and half months ago, I'm down 46 lbs., never once have I thought to myself I can't do this, or I can't commit to this and make this a life change. I look forward to losing the weight and just maintaining the weight. I believe I'll be counting calories now until the day I die.
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I think I have tried nearly every weight loss program in the known world...at least it has felt that way! By tracking and counting calories with MFP, I have lost about 46 pounds in 3 months without feeling like I am on a diet, or feeling deprived. (still have pizza once a week!) Tracking calories in and calories out is working for me, and is something I will have to do for a long time.
  • PeanutButter929
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for sharring how counting calories has helped you, it's encourging. Yesterday I went over my goal for calories, but hey it was a Sunday and only my second day. Today's Monday with a fresh start--and instead of beating myself up over yesterday's slip-up, when I was drving to work this morning I tried some positive affirmation. I can do this. You can do this. Have a great day in calorie-counting land!!
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    One day of going over is not bad. Unless you go over your weekly amount then it's fine to "splurge" every now and then. That's life. Keep up the work. There will be down days and up days.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Before I started counting I was "eating healthy" but not measuring. Eating "clean" does not guarantee against eating too many calories. Yes counting is KEY.