Changes in my goals and my life, since coming to MFP

Options
When I first came to MFP and set up my profile, my page title was "70 Pounds To New Knees'. The 70 pound goal was met and exceeded; and now, I am only 2 days away from my double knee replacement surgery.

I have no delusions about my recovery. I know that it will take time and will include a lot of painful physical therapy, but it is necessary to finally get myself out of this wheelchair dependent life style.

Once I got my new knees and could do what I wanted, I thought that riding a bike or taking long walks would be my reward, but that's not what I want now. What I really want the most is to get back to swimming. I miss swimming laps in the pool. That was the best part of this year, finding joy in the water again after more 50 years.

What started as 'safe exercise' for me in June of this year, became my favorite activity of each day. My hubbie Ed and I even joined a health club in September, when it became too cold to swim in the outdoor pool where we were living. Now, Ed has become a member of another health club, here in Hanford; but I can't join, until my surgeon gives me the 'Okay' in few more weeks.

During this incredible year, I have lost more than 80 pounds, overcame my fear of being seen in a swim suit and found joy in exercising through swimming. I also learned that I could live happily without some things, like diet cokes and candy bars. I had to make a commitment to limited calories and logging in my food on MFP to keep me honest. I have had some slips, but that commitment to MFP and my MFP sisters has kept me losing weight and gotten me through the slips and down times, when I wasn't sure that I could really finish what I started.

In the end, I reached my surgeon's weight goal for the knee surgeries and found that I wanted so much more. That 'more' is a 'new life as a healthier woman'. Yes, I am 68 years old; but there is still a lot of life in this old girl; and I want to live it 'on my feet'...and some of that life 'in the water'. I still have a way to go with my weight loss, but I have plenty of time and the hope for more mobility in the future. I also have MFP to help me get there.

One more thing:

I have to admit that my mind has been racing with last minute concerns, as my knee replacement surgery approaches. I am not worried about having problems with the surgery, I just keep thinking, "What have I forgotten?"

That is kind of silly, since anything I want or need can and will be picked up by Ed, if and when I remember what I forgot. However, I am basically 'an organizer'. I tend to plan everything out in advance, down to the smallest detail, and I hate to let things just happen by themselves. I don't like to leave things to chance; but starting on Monday, I am going to just have to let things go for a while and trust in God, my surgeons and Ed to manage my needs for the coming week. Make that 'WEEKS'. My recovery isn't going to happen overnight.

Well, I didn't lose my weight overnight; but it came off. I just had to be patience and keep doing what I knew would work. The same will have to apply to the recovery from my surgery; and I know that I have the support and encouragement of the same team of great friends on MFP, the friends in my 'MFP Sisterhood'. I don't think that I could have gotten to this point without all of you. :heart:

Replies

• caenis
    caenis Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi- I wish you a successful operation and a speedy recovery. I am impressed by your weight loss. I want to start swimming again as well, it is supposed to be a great workout because it uses all your muscles.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Bless you,

The bravery which has got you to this point will see you through.

In the past I have helped people who have had knee replacements, I am sure you will be helped to use your new knees as your muscle strength enables. I would love to join you in a swim another issue has beached me. Please have a fully mobile swim for me, Enjoy your forthcoming well deserved freedom.

All the very best wishes.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You've done great to lose that much :) About surgery, I know what you're going through, I had a dental procedure yesterday but i was put under general anesthesia for it for health reasons. I was really nervous... but it went fine :) Next thing I knew I woke up in recovery.

Looking forward to pics of you up and about :)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Wishing you an easy surgery and quick recovery. You have touched a lot of lives on MFP (as I suspect you do in every aspect of your life) and we have a huge thank you for your heart and your spirit. Good luck and prayers be with you :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • heather4949
    heather4949 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful Xmas present for you and ED, new mobile knees.........a new you and a fantastic New Year awaits you....Merry Xmas my friend and will be thinking of you on Monday...
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As with everything there will probably be something you forgot, but whatever it is won't be that important. You will do fine physically and I know that Ed will be there for all of your needs. Love and prayers
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've been a lurker on your blog posts for quite a time now. Just wanted to wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery :flowerforyou:

A tip for what to take to hospital: don't bring anything you're not willing to lose (belongings often have a way of being lost or misplaced in hospitals).

Good luck!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I was so happy to see something from you. I hadn't seen anything since you moved to your new house. I like how you are not ashamed to say you have God in your life...and Ed. :-)

And congrats on the new knees!!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I can't express how proud I am of you! Strong and determined are your middle names!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As always: thanks for posting your updates. They are always honest and real. Best of luck with your surgery!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery and PT. I know that both will be a success, just like you!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You are headed into a wonderful free new life! And with the attitude you have now, I know you'll breeze through just great my sister! You know what it takes to get a job done! Bravo, Bravo! God is with you all the way!
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery! I just want to let you know I remember one of your first posts about the joy of rediscovering water. It really touched me, and I still think about it now. I'm across the pond and we'll never meet but you and your achievements have stayed with me and inspired me. All the best to you and your husband for your surgery, your recovery and a long, healthy, and on-your-feet-based-new-life! x
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    At this time tomorrow, I will be in the middle of my surgery. It doesn't seem real, after more than a year of striving for this goal.
  • Jinxy10236
    Options
    I am so impressed with what you've accomplished this year, I can only hope that I will as successful as you!! Good Luck with your upcoming surgery, speedy recovery, and Have a Happy Holiday!!:flowerforyou:
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Wishing you an easy and successful surgery and a full and speedy recovery!!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Sue!
    May the LORD bless you as you undergo this surgery.
    The double knee-replacement made such a difference for my mother.
    I pray for your comfort and determination!
    Best wishes!
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We are here to pray for you and encourage you! You will do great and all the things that "need" to be done will get done. Please don't worry or be anxious. God will take care of everything and I'm sure Ed and the doctors will help! :)
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how Sue is doing?
  • irrsha
    Options
    may GOD bless you. anyone knows anything?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!