Help! Disappointed, as usual :(

Options
2»

Replies

• danayjah37
    Options
    I have started this weight lost challenge for me and my sister on thursday.

week 1 drink 64oz of water each day
    week 2 no sweets
    week 3 workout 30 minute each day
    week 4 no alcohol
    week 5 no processed food

I hope this work i will see if anyone want to try they are more than welcome to. Wish me luck
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Btw, I'm 5'3, and I eat 1470 calories a day. That is for a pound loss a week. I do a lot of exercise so I eat most of my calories back. I think 1600 sounds right for a 5'4 person.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1600 is to high for your current weight and height. You need to stay between 1200 to 1400 calories.

Sorry, but I respectfull call BS on this. I'm 40, 5'3", and when I was losing, I was doing it by eating 1700-1800 cals a day. (I ate back my exercise calories.)

There are several calorie calculators that are more in depth than MFP's. Scooby's is a good one, or you can search the forums for heybales' spreadsheet, which also give a more in depth look at your measurements, activity level, etc. I'm on my phone or I'd give you the links myself, but...phone=pain to navigate.

Also, when you can start working out again, I HIGHLY recommend throwing some strength training into the mix. Personally, I like to throw heavy weights around, but body weight stuff can be just as beneficial and you can do it at home. Nerdfitness.com has a great beginning body weight workout plan. Building muscle can help stave off osteoporosis and a slew of other things that occur as we age.

Good luck!!

Well said. I will be 43 in 3 days. 1630 + eating exercise calories per MFP. I would recommend using Scooby also for a good calculation. A half pound gain is nothing. Try not to sweat it.

I will add I am also finding it difficult to lose weight but that is due to my own inconsistencies.
  • matcartmill
    matcartmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks back after a fitness break are the most problematic. The metabolism takes time to kick back into high gear which allows for better fat burning. Also, eating better is a good start, but doing weight training and cardio go a lot further than simply calorie counting does. You need to be active for your body to keep stoking the metabolism furnace.

Weigh yourself once a week, hit the gym, count calories. It's that easy, you just have to commit to it and give it time.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Metabolism. The most overrated excuse of them all.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I am 5'10 and 1540 is my calorie goal but I rarely eat that little since I eat back my exercise calories. Give it more time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ahh helpful advice to a woman in her 40s from a 30 year old male.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    After reading about studies that showed BMR can vary by like 70% among people with the same LBM, I think it's kind of useless to compare your intake to others on the boards. It doesn't matter if X has to eat 1200 and Y gets to eat 1800. Between you being individual and everyone's logging being estimations (some decent, some terrible), just pick a level, check your results and make changes based on your loss or lack of loss.

But a week is a pretty short test. I'd give it longer and I'd keep exercise out of the equation until you find an eating level you can lose at. You're not exercising, another week isn't going to kill you. But if you start now, then you get water retention issues muddying the waters more and if you're this disappointed and frustrated with one week or no results, you're going to quit entirely if you add exercise and don't see results, I think.

Do you have any links to those studies? Did they control for activity levels?

See p.5 of the "naturally thin" thread. I assume they control for activity. The study was supposed to be on BMR.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    ahh helpful advice to a woman in her 40s from a 30 year old male.

So would you prefer it if I was in my 50s? Would that make my opinion more relevant?
  • charmcnab
    charmcnab Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How many calories does your fitbit say you're burning daily? Why do you just use it Monday thru Friday? That sounds like what I do for maintenance.

I only do M-F because on the weekends I do alot less walking and more sitting at home. During the week, I am in constant motion.
  • charmcnab
    charmcnab Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and support. I quickly read through this morning but will spend some more time later checking out the links and such you all have posted. The main thing I got from your responses is be positive and just keep moving forward. Here I go....thanks again :)
    Charlene
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    How many calories does your fitbit say you're burning daily? Why do you just use it Monday thru Friday? That sounds like what I do for maintenance.

I only do M-F because on the weekends I do alot less walking and more sitting at home. During the week, I am in constant motion.
    It sounds like you need the Fitbit MORE on the weekends, then! :happy: