Lunch Suggestions for real food, not processed crap.

Options
I usually eat at my desk because of the lack of time that I have. I need some healthy, quick preparing lunch suggestions. I would like to start eating as much non processed foods as I can.
Currently I bring in a deli turkey and ham sandwich on whole wheat and some carrots. The turkey and ham are loaded with sodium and nitrates and I'd like to cut my carb intake as well.
Does anyone have any suggestions that I can bring with me to work that is a healthier choice than I'm eating now?

Replies

• iLOVEbabySARA13
    Options
    Roast up a chicken on one of your days off, or throw it in a crock pot.
    Pull it apart and use it for sandwiches on whole wheat, or add to minute rice, veggies, salad.

Could really do that with any meat...pork or beef roasts are yummy! Could rub them with a low-sodium rub, or use light dressing on the sandwich, salad, whatever.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I work in IT so same issue. I usually spend four hours on a Sunday morning cooking for the week in bulk...

Omelettes, chicken breasts, salads, beans, broccoli, roast potatoes, gravy, rice, pasta etc. Nothing majorly uber-healthy but better than the processed crap as you mention.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have a slow cooker, it's a good idea to invest in one. Depending on the size you can cook whole slabs of meat or whole birds in it and, like the first reply said, simply pull it apart and use it for sandwiches or toppings on a salad. You can throw in vegetables with it too, and then just microwave them at work or do so at home in the morning and keep them in an insulated bag.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like to prep food on the weekend when I'm on my game. I take meat, portion it, and put it in good quality freezer bags. I also cut up veggies, mainly using a food processor. I prefer to sautee my onions, but I know some people who cook with them raw.

So in a single bag I will have sauteed onions, peppers, carrots, and maybe some zucchini. In another one I'll do a fajita mix with onions, peppers, tomatoes, and corn. You get the idea.

Then in the morning or the night before I can throw everything in the crockpot with whatever spices I feel like. My favorite lately has been chicken or beef with nandos sauce, and the onions/peppers/tomatoes/corn mix.

I also like to do whole roasted meats, such as a roasted chicken or roast beef with jacket potatoes. So sometimes I do that by itself, or sometimes I use the crockpot to make some veggie soup.

ETA - I have a refrigerator and microwave in my office so I tend to just bring 'regular' food. I loooove soup. Sometimes I do more lunchy things like sandwiches, but I got a bit bored with that.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, just cook yourself up some meat and then freeze it in serving portions. Take a freezer bag with you to work, and just micro nuke it, then plop it on your salad (or sandwich).

We prefer a slow cooked shank roast, or pan fried ground beef, or boiled chicken. We buy the bags of ready made salad. Then mix a little (watered down) hummus with hot chili pepper powder for the salad dressing. Or mayo (with a little water) and spicy mustard for dressing.

You could also make soup and freeze it in paper cup portions. The paper will get soggy if you nuke it, so use a real bowl for the microwave. I think using a microwave is healthier than eating those processed meats. ;)
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started this journey as a senior in high school. Students are not allowed access to refrigerators (understandable with 1200 of us) or microwaves (GRRRRR!!!!!!) and force fed whatever the school wants us to eat, so I resorted to packing my lunch. I would spend that time of day focusing on bananas, bags of grapes and carrots, tupperwares of cold peas and green beans, etc. because they're low calorie so you can fill up on a lot of them (dinner time then became MEAT TIME ROOOAAR). The bulk of my meal would usually be a stir fry I cooked ahead of time with peppers, onions, and tomatoes (you could probably have some room temp chicken or turkey or pork in it and it would taste just as delicious). Or a half sandwich of whole wheat bread with tons of crunchy peanut butter, makes my mouth water thinking about it :)
    I'd definitely try investing in non-cured lunch meat if you want to keep up the sandwich trend. Most of the sodium in processed meat comes from the curing process :o
    And I'd definitely look into more recipes for things you can just pull out and eat at your desk. Everything from cold oatmeals filled with fruits and granolas or tortilla wraps filled with the works can turn into one of the delicious lunches you've ever had. I know that a lot of these may not be your personal preference (I am one of the biggest picky eaters ever, trust me) but I hoped I helped out of experience :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What do you have access to? Our work kitchen has a fridge and a microwave, so I often make up big batches of vegetable soup, sometimes I add beans for protein and bulking it out, freeze those in individual containers. Tinned fish and ryvita crackers are another of my favourites.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a refrigerator and a microwave, your choices are endless. I eat a regular meal for lunch. I make batches of all my favorite recipes, package them in ZipLock containers with crew on lids and the microwave at lunch. I have lots of individual servings frozen, so I don't need to eat the same thing for lunch as I'm having for dinner. I do a lot of stir fry, turkey chili, soups, chicken dishes, pork tenderloin and rice.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    All sound like great ideas. I have access to a fridge and a microwave. The cooked chicken instead of the turkey is a great idea, and I love vegetable soup. I can add some chicken, or pork to that. Sounds yummy!
  • sdps745
    sdps745 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started this journey as a senior in high school. Students are not allowed access to refrigerators (understandable with 1200 of us) or microwaves (GRRRRR!!!!!!) and force fed whatever the school wants us to eat, so I resorted to packing my lunch. I would spend that time of day focusing on bananas, bags of grapes and carrots, tupperwares of cold peas and green beans, etc. because they're low calorie so you can fill up on a lot of them (dinner time then became MEAT TIME ROOOAAR). The bulk of my meal would usually be a stir fry I cooked ahead of time with peppers, onions, and tomatoes (you could probably have some room temp chicken or turkey or pork in it and it would taste just as delicious). Or a half sandwich of whole wheat bread with tons of crunchy peanut butter, makes my mouth water thinking about it :)
    I'd definitely try investing in non-cured lunch meat if you want to keep up the sandwich trend. Most of the sodium in processed meat comes from the curing process :o
    And I'd definitely look into more recipes for things you can just pull out and eat at your desk. Everything from cold oatmeals filled with fruits and granolas or tortilla wraps filled with the works can turn into one of the delicious lunches you've ever had. I know that a lot of these may not be your personal preference (I am one of the biggest picky eaters ever, trust me) but I hoped I helped out of experience :)

These are GREAT suggestions! Speaking of granola...Does anyone make a healthy version at home??
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I keep half a dozen eggs in the fridge, and take in smoked salmon, ham, turkey, chicken, prawns or whatever else I fancy to go with them. Sometimes I have so much stuff in there when I take in bags of salad and salsa that i get accused of turning it into a cafe!
  • raxelita
    raxelita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Besides soups and chilis like others have mentioned...

I do a lot of salads with bagged arugula, spinach, or kale, topped with roasted veggies and/or sweet potatoes (I roast up anything I have in the fridge one night a week, and throw the veggies cold over the salads),and maybe some crumbled goat cheese or hard parmesan, or leftover chicken or steak, or proscuito, canadian bacon...

Might also add canned chickpeas, nuts, fresh fruits or veggies.... I just mix up a quick vin in a small jar and take it with me to work to pour over right before eating.

I esp love doing the salads with sweet potatoes -- they are delicious and super filling.