When did you start seeing the weight come off?

Options

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i'm only down 11 pounds and I see a wrinkle in my tummy and underwear feels a little loose on my butt.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

To answer a few things that have come up so far: I'm vegan, so do need to work a bit harder to get the right amount of protein. When I wasn't working out consistently, I didn't notice it as a problem, but now that I am, I think you're right that I do need to be more conscious and make sure I'm hitting that goal.

As for exercise: I do exercise daily. I don't always log it, because I don't currently have a HRM and I'm wary of the calories that MFP estimates. And just for me personally, I know that if I see those "extra calories" in my diary, I'm very tempted to eat them. So it's often easier if I just don't log them. When I do get a HRM I plan on logging my exercise consistently and playing around with how many of those calories to eat back, but for now, I'm just aiming to hit the 1360 calorie goal but knowing that I have a bit of leeway since I am working out. Oh, I've been doing the 30DS (finished day 28 this morning) and over the past two weeks have been doing either another Jillian DVD or in the past few days, T25 workouts.

As far as food goes, like I said, I don't yet have a food scale and I definitely plan on getting one. I don't eat (or very very rarely eat) processed food, we cook just about every night. All of the soups in my diary are homemade and not incredibly sodium-heavy, though I agree that's something I should work on. I've inputted my recipes into the recipe function on here, and do measure my ingredients, but without the scale just yet, it's hard to know if I'm being exactly accurate. I do the best I can, and usually overestimate to be safe.

I really appreciate you all taking a look for me and your advice! Like I said, I don't feel discouraged, I'm just new to this and wasn't sure if there was anything I was blatantly doing wrong. I want to go home for the holidays with the best habits possible, especially since I won't be working out much for a week, and get back on track when I get back to Seattle with T25.

You guys are great!

How hard is the 30DS? Ive wanted to try it but wanted to know how many rest days or is it straight thru?

As for not logging your daily movements I understand that. I eat a protein meat just about daily with dinner so at least I log it cuz my dinners usually the biggest meal but I dont always eat them all back like alot of ppl suggest. But if I want to drink wine that night at least I know I got those extra calories that I can
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For me, right away. I started 26 days ago at 228 and have lost 20 lbs so far. My clothes are loose, I've dropped about 9 inches total, my starting picture and current picture shows significant reduction, and I can fit into clothes I've not worn in at least 2 years.

I'm expecting that to slow down soon, but I'm working out 45 minutes every day and eating more sensibly than I have in years.

Everyone is different and the ultimate thing is that we're working on changing our lifestyles. MFP has been a lifesaver along with dear friends that support me. Slow, fast, or some of both, we can succeed!!
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

To answer a few things that have come up so far: I'm vegan, so do need to work a bit harder to get the right amount of protein. When I wasn't working out consistently, I didn't notice it as a problem, but now that I am, I think you're right that I do need to be more conscious and make sure I'm hitting that goal.

As for exercise: I do exercise daily. I don't always log it, because I don't currently have a HRM and I'm wary of the calories that MFP estimates. And just for me personally, I know that if I see those "extra calories" in my diary, I'm very tempted to eat them. So it's often easier if I just don't log them. When I do get a HRM I plan on logging my exercise consistently and playing around with how many of those calories to eat back, but for now, I'm just aiming to hit the 1360 calorie goal but knowing that I have a bit of leeway since I am working out. Oh, I've been doing the 30DS (finished day 28 this morning) and over the past two weeks have been doing either another Jillian DVD or in the past few days, T25 workouts.

As far as food goes, like I said, I don't yet have a food scale and I definitely plan on getting one. I don't eat (or very very rarely eat) processed food, we cook just about every night. All of the soups in my diary are homemade and not incredibly sodium-heavy, though I agree that's something I should work on. I've inputted my recipes into the recipe function on here, and do measure my ingredients, but without the scale just yet, it's hard to know if I'm being exactly accurate. I do the best I can, and usually overestimate to be safe.

I really appreciate you all taking a look for me and your advice! Like I said, I don't feel discouraged, I'm just new to this and wasn't sure if there was anything I was blatantly doing wrong. I want to go home for the holidays with the best habits possible, especially since I won't be working out much for a week, and get back on track when I get back to Seattle with T25.

You guys are great!

How hard is the 30DS? Ive wanted to try it but wanted to know how many rest days or is it straight thru?

As for not logging your daily movements I understand that. I eat a protein meat just about daily with dinner so at least I log it cuz my dinners usually the biggest meal but I dont always eat them all back like alot of ppl suggest. But if I want to drink wine that night at least I know I got those extra calories that I can

It's been a challenge for me because I hadn't done any strength training whatsoever previously, nor ever really stuck to a consistent workout schedule. But it's definitely doable! I've done it 30 days straight because I do better when I give myself a challenge like that, but I've read that Jillian has actually suggested doing two days of the shred, one day of cardio, then repeat, and then a rest day.
  • rjdunn87
    Options
    For me, right away. I started 26 days ago at 228 and have lost 20 lbs so far. My clothes are loose, I've dropped about 9 inches total, my starting picture and current picture shows significant reduction, and I can fit into clothes I've not worn in at least 2 years.

I'm expecting that to slow down soon, but I'm working out 45 minutes every day and eating more sensibly than I have in years.

Everyone is different and the ultimate thing is that we're working on changing our lifestyles. MFP has been a lifesaver along with dear friends that support me. Slow, fast, or some of both, we can succeed!!

That's amazing progress! Congrats!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I can't believe it some days! I am doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. (Forgot to put it on my last post.) I really like it!
  • rjdunn87
    Options
    Thanks! I can't believe it some days! I am doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. (Forgot to put it on my last post.) I really like it!

Oh that's great to know, I was considering doing that after I finish T25.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

You guys are great!

It's been a challenge for me because I hadn't done any strength training whatsoever previously, nor ever really stuck to a consistent workout schedule. But it's definitely doable! I've done it 30 days straight because I do better when I give myself a challenge like that, but I've read that Jillian has actually suggested doing two days of the shred, one day of cardio, then repeat, and then a rest day.

Thanks for getting back to me about that :).....Ive tried her 6 pack abs in 6 weeks and lucky if I get passed the 16th minute mark. I got a bad back and hips so with her burpees and other things I just jog in places but do all of the abs then im like ok im done lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    when I stopped eating so effing much.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    As for me-my weight lose was fast-I lost 94 pounds in less then a year- but I was so rigit-that was 5 years ago I have kept it off-I have gone up 5 pounds-but when I stated doing weights glad I did and still doing weights and cardio-just remember weight goes up and down-as for jilian micheal she is truly my fitness hero-since I started to change my healthy fit lifestyle 5 years ago-I still use a lot of her different workout at my gym -with my own-and it does work-I always have write it before I bite it- that what works for me-so if I do go up I can look at a pattern-and also to make sure I am getting enough calories- good luck:)
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When you burn everything you eat. Maintaining your weight means not eating past 5pm and eating less than 1,000 cal. Sorry but its the only way! Truth is the less you eat the less you weigh. Its hard but trying to eat less will help.

:huh:

MFP has strict guidelines in relation to promoting unsafe eating practices - it does not recommend eating below the minimum of 1200cal per day, for women. The rules of not eating after 5pm, and eating less than 1000cal a day IS NOT the only way. Eating less than you burn is true......but the rest of what you have said is really promoting disordered styles of pedantic eating and encouraging starvation.

You are replying to a young girl here looking for answers that are going to help her not engender fear and push her into starving herself and following your rules that have NO scientific basis. I am very sorry that you are experiencing this in YOUR world. Perhaps it is the result of your body fighting back from such low calories and your metabolism has slowed. Please get help!!!!!

Dear OP: Don't lose heart.....you are starting out as you....some lose quickly at the beginning others not so much. Sticking at what you are doing, trying to increase your protein (to fuel your workouts) and investing in your HRM and a food scale are all great ideas.
  • tealover09
    tealover09 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It always takes me about three weeks to loose even half a pound. I don't know why, but that is always how it is. It is always depressing and my boyfriend reminds me that it is always the same, and I relax and wait it out.

When I am consistently logging, I don't see a loss or fluctuation of even .01 of a pound for around 10 days in a row (freaky, right?) and then all of a sudden I loose 1 or 2 pounds "overnight". Sometimes if I am seeing no change, eating lower calorie days alternating with higher calorie days helps get things moving.
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    I honestly didn't think I'd lose as much weight as I have. I dieted and exercised before, but didn't really get the results I was hoping for. But I've lost 26lbs and I'm almost at my goal. I noticed that my weight started to really go down when I was 1-2 months into it. If I start to feel as if I'm not losing 1-2lbs a week like I have the past few months, I make my workouts more intense. The more I challenge myself and my exercise, the more the weight dips.
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    It always takes me about three weeks to loose even half a pound. I don't know why, but that is always how it is. It is always depressing and my boyfriend reminds me that it is always the same, and I relax and wait it out.

When I am consistently logging, I don't see a loss or fluctuation of even .01 of a pound for around 10 days in a row (freaky, right?) and then all of a sudden I loose 1 or 2 pounds "overnight". Sometimes if I am seeing no change, eating lower calorie days alternating with higher calorie days helps get things moving.

Don't go crazy over the calories. Maybe your workouts/exercise aren't as challenging as they should be, and that's why you aren't seeing results. Instead of paying so much attention to calories, pay attention to that heart rate! Higher heart rate = higher calories burned.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When I went low-carb, high quality.....I know there are lots of bashers on here, but try it and check it out for yourself. Everything doesn't work for everyone, but something should work and that can take an open mind and lots of experimentation.

I also exercise a lot [always have].

Good luck.
  • Inazea
    Inazea Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I began I barely lost 1kg in 2 months. I did everything wrong.
    I started to see my weight drop after I started to eat a lot. Not junk food or candy, no, (mostly ;P) healthy food. And moving my butt is really important too.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The food scale will help a lot. The HRM too! I noticed that my weight loss was more constant when I bought those two.

As for my personal weight loss, it was quite fast. I think my metabolism is fast to begin with so that's probably why I lost 5 pounds per month instead of 2 (i was set at .5 per week)
  • rjdunn87
    Options
    The food scale will help a lot. The HRM too! I noticed that my weight loss was more constant when I bought those two.

As for my personal weight loss, it was quite fast. I think my metabolism is fast to begin with so that's probably why I lost 5 pounds per month instead of 2 (i was set at .5 per week)

Yeah, I'm really hoping that once I incorporate those two tools into my routine I'll have better results. Thanks!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I started at 188, and mine was VERY slow. I started in Jan, and lost 10 lbs the first month. Then gained it back in a week. It took 2 more months to lose it again, and keep loosing. I gave up the fast food, fried foods, mayo, sausages, all the fatty stuff that I love, and replaced it with real food. Then once I started exercising (didn't do any in Jan) it came off faster after I hit the six-month mark. It sounds like such a cliche, but veggies and water and exercise! But find exercise you like, it makes it so much easier.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OP, I checked back through your diary, and it looks really great, well done for making such healthy choices.

I started around 175lbs and was losing around 1 to 2 lbs each week.

Having said that my calories set by MFP was 1200 before exercise to lose.

I have been maintaining for just over a year at around 1500-1600