Any one wanna join in?

Options
So. I just read an article on Daily mail newspaper App- it basically states that exercising every day before the run up to an indulgent day can help metabolism and blood sugar level spikes.
Here is the article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2523776/Planning-stuff-Christmas-A-45-minute-workout-combat-damage-burn-fewer-calories-eat.html

So I've decided to set myself a holiday mini challenge to keep myself accountable. Any body want to join me in doing 45 minutes of cardio every day for the week run-up to Santa? Just give each other the boost and motivation to keep the Christmas calories in check!

I plan to jog, do a Jillian DVD or stationary bike alongside my weights. Starting from Tuesday 17th-24th December.

Replies

• stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Any fancy charting, or "just do it" and report in every day?
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think just report daily in a basic format stating activity, time and calorie burn? x
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's the daily mail. I'd expect it to be badly researched and such like.
    However, by chance, they occasionally are right :).

Doing heavy weights I believe will up your metabolism more than anything else.

It certainly adds a good chunk to my BMR (I have a proper gas analysis machine to test).

Then a 'HIIT' style routine.

Steady state cardio generally doesn't up your BMR over the longer period nearly as much I believe.

Even better would be to do heavy weights before eating your big binge meal - that way hopefully the food will go towards building muscle as well.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like what you want to do, and I will gladly do this mini challenge. It's a good idea being the holiday season too, a little extra effort on my part will be a plus.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I sort of take a lot of articles with a pinch of salt- I just felt the need to set myself a target to try and keep on track up to Christmas! I would love to know my actual BMR! So far I just use calculations to generalise! I am loving my weights- essentially I'm not sure I have a goal weight- lowering body fat is my long term goal... but I do enjoy my cardio!
  • Fern890
    Fern890 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Definitely in on this, wanting to push myself a little harder and mix it up a little :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As an idea, when I did BMR a while ago it came out at 2400 calories the day after doing a weights work out.
    Just to clarify; that's around the recommended calories for a bloke before I've moved a muscle!
    I did wonder about that, but looking at the calories I was eating and that the scales were staying the same, it did explain how I'd often be north of 3000 calories without putting weight on!

Obviously this tapers off with time etc; I've read around 39 hours in total.