Anybody else worry that...

Options
Your scale has been wrong this entire time? It says I've lost 91 pounds, and I'm so skeptical about that. Yeah, I've definitely lost some weight, but 91 pounds worth? I just don't think so. I've only lost a couple of pants sizes, maybe a shirt size or two.

I'm just constantly worried my scale is wrong, wrong, wrong. I mean, I think for the best results you're supposed to keep the scale in the same place and never move it. Yet, I have a small bathroom and I have to move it around from under the sink/cupboard to the middle of the floor every Saturday morning (and then like 2 or 3 times during the week, when I get nervous and whatnot). I've tested my scaled before, though. I put two 2-pound weights on it, and it came up with exactly 4.0 on the screen. However, whenever I get on it, it changes... Like this morning: 204, 203.6, 203.8, 203.6. Most of the time it changes a little more drastically, though never by a full pound. My first weigh-in is always the heaviest.

I'm pretty sure my mom's scale upstairs says I'm 10 maybe 15 pounds heavier... I know that scales are calibrated differently, but it drives me nuts without knowing which one is right?! Am I really just 4 pounds away from being in "ONEderland?"

Replies

• LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    First of all, that's an amazing weight loss, whether your scale is off a few pounds or not! :drinker:

What does your doctor's scale say? Or if you belong to a gym, see if they have a scale that calibrated properly. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There will be some variations. My scale usually is up or down a little from time to time. Great results! Celebrate your accomplishments!
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    As long as you stick with the same scale, even if what you actually weigh is off, that does not change that you started out on it weighing one weight and now you weigh 91 pounds less on it, so that is 91 pounds lost, even if on another scale you might have started out a pound or two heavier. WTG! you are doing great!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    stop doubting yourself!! :flowerforyou:
    you are doing amazing!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
    you've worked very hard!! :flowerforyou:
  • danmullen
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your scales are out, they've been out the whole time you've been using them, so you've still lost 91lbs. My scales fluctuate a bit too... I always get on them at least twice - I keep going until it come sup with exactly the same figure twice in a row, then use that as my meausrement.
  • mrtechaddict
    Options
    Yeah....don't worry about it! All that matters is that you are using the same scale every time you weigh in. What you are concerned with if weight loss, not actual weight. The number on the scale doesn't really matter if your clothes fit well, and you feel good!

When we lose a large amount of weight, we won't change clothing sizes all that much at the beginning. I've lost 150lbs. I had to buy new clothes twice during the first 100lbs, but the next 50 has sent me to the store 3 times already. Once you get to the point where you are carrying more than 100 extra lbs, fat starts to get sneaky on where it hides. This is the reason people take multiple measurements all around their body. I had to lose a large amount of fat from my thighs before my waste really saw much change. Everyone is different in how and where they store fat, so don't let clothing size throw you off.

Keep up the good work!
  • mary020378
    Options
    it is always best to use one scale and use just that one scale. And your true weight is what you weigh first thing in the morning when you wake up. Once you eat you are always about 2 to 3 lbs heavier. But good job on the weight that you have lost.
  • sherrik10
    sherrik10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try to stay off the scale for awhile and go by how your clothes fit. I am at a plateau but it seems my clothes are getting smaller. You are doing great so don't get discouraged! :happy:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    OK, part of my job involves weighing and measuring children for the National Child Measurement programme for the Government, we have properly calibrated scales that have built in levelling systems etc and we have to weigh three times and take the mean measurement as the correct one.

I follow this advice at home and always weigh myself 3 times, if I get a different weight I do it until I get the SAME weight THREE times before I count it. Always weigh at the same time of day, on a hard floor and not a carpet and also make sure the floor is as level as possible (failing this put them in the same place each time)

You are doing really well, many congratulations!!
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When my scale is bouncing between a .6 and a .8 I just assume I'm really at .7 and the scale doesn't know whether to go up or down.

You are doing amazing!! Don't let the doubt get you.

Oh... and you are only 3.8 from Onederland. :D

Keep it up, you are truly an inspiration to all of us.

~S
  • artmikhur
    artmikhur Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow you have lost so much weight, don't worry about the scales, like everyone else says you have still lost as you are using the same scales. I have the same problem, I weighed myself in the shopping centre the other day and the scales there said I was 10 pounds heavier than the ones at home BUT it also said that I was 2 inches shorter than my true height, think that they are a bit inaccurate to say the least. Keep up the excellent work .::
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Scale dancing... I do it. I admit it. I do it every day because the scale is a nasty sneaky sob that wants to make me feel bad.

I get on the scale like I'm one inch taller than I really am and then float 1/2" above the scale. At least that's how it looks in my head. Scale dancing is a state of mind.

If it takes 4 tries, sobeit. The lightest one wins.

This is how I will gauge my success overall: because I'm not yet content at my current weight, I use the progress chart to show me my success over time, but I need the numbers to fit into that chart.

My greatest triumph will come when I start looking for the heaviest weight I can manage on that same scale, because then I won the war!

:happy:
  • blel0906
    Options
    91lbs lost WOW congratulations...

I did the same thing this morning! My scale reflected a 10 lb loss, I've only been at this a week and I'm convinced that something has to be off. I'm not using it as an official weigh in just in case I hop on next week and it says I gained 4lbs.I just have a cheap analog scale..
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't worry about the difference in the scales. Continue to use the the original scale. Your weight loss of 91 pounds is 91 pounds. My scales and my doctor's scales are different by 3 pounds and my scales and the gym scales are the same.

I "officially" use my doctor's scale weight because I have had a gastric bypass but as long as all 3 are within 3 pounds I can still keep up with my loss. My clothes are fitting better and my health has improved almost %100 and that is what is important to me.

Keep up the good work on this new journey in life and don't "sweat the small stuff". LOL:blushing:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I weigh 3 times too, and take the lowest reading as the one :wink:

Every scale will measure differently. So just stick to the one you've been using. If it says you've lost 91lbs, then you have lost 91lbs. Unless it leaped from one weight to another in one full swoop, like from 260 to 240, then the reading is correct. My scale dropped 16lbs overnight once and it needed a new battery!! :laugh:

I'm sure it's accurate and you are just astounded by your own success! Congratulatons hun. onederland is just around the corner! :bigsmile: