Vomiting, fainting and diarrhea after workout? Help!

Options
So I've been on this site for a bit for the sake of calorie counting, but I decided to finally start working out. I've done little things like dancing or going on walks, but today I decided to follow a routine I found on youtube. It's in extremely low impact workout and I didn't feel out of it or sick or anything during, but right after I finished and took a drink of water, I got a horrible pain in my stomach and it led to one of the most painful experiences I've had in a while. I starting sweating, throwing up, I had horrible constipation which turned into diarrhea and due to how bad it hurt I blacked out. I waited about an hour after eating lunch to exercise and while it wasn't the world's healthiest lunch it wasn't the biggest.

I really like this particular routine and it's one I can keep up with easier than most so I'd love to stick with it. I'm just afraid of what my body will do. I can't handle going through this much pain all the time. Is there something wrong with me?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What was the workout? :sick:
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a strange reaction; are you sure it's because I your workout? The only thing I can think of is maybe eating before you work out? I know if I haven't eaten enough drink the day before working out I feel faint and like I could throw up after pushing myself too hard. Otherwise, maybe you should see a doctor?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,047 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I know that when I first started working out, I was so unfit that I would get lightheaded and have to quit. I always stopped before I fainted because I feared that would put an end to my exercising. I was working out at Curves (not an overly strenuous workout), but I would have to step away from the circuit and sit down to recuperate.

Break up your workout into smaller pieces until your are stronger. You will get stronger if you keep working out, but don't push too hard at first.

BTW, I can work out like a maniac now. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • Mblaqsidetoside
    Mblaqsidetoside Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The workout was just 3 Fast Miles - Walk away the pounds. It was literally just walking with some arm movements and little things thrown in. It wasn't even hard it was just constant moving.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Im guessing the workout helped move along a blockage from constipation, which can really hurt while moving through all the twists and turns in the intestines. If you are constipated for a while, your body can over compensate and switch to diarrhea to try and help get rid of it. Someone I know has a chronic problem with it. Not sure what the vomiting is about. Workouts do not normally cause such a violent gut reaction. Perhaps a doctor could help you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Given the workout you were doing, I'd look more into what you ate versus what you did. Maybe you just ate something bad recently. Or you're getting sick. Walking shouldn't cause that kind of reaction in anyone.
  • Mblaqsidetoside
    Options
    I'm sure the vomiting could have been caused from the pain because I know that's happened to me before. But I may try this exercise tomorrow and go for a smaller duration and see what happens. If I still get really sick then I'll definitely go see my doctor.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Given the workout you were doing, I'd look more into what you ate versus what you did. Maybe you just ate something bad recently. Or you're getting sick. Walking shouldn't cause that kind of reaction in anyone.

I agree with this post.

But if you are feeling sick or having pains for reasons that you can not attribute to what you have eaten/exercise then go get some proper medical advice.

Hope you feel better soon
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I had horrible constipation which turned into diarrhea and due to how bad it hurt I blacked out.

That ain't normal.

I'd be calling my doctor, pronto, because that almost certainly had nothing to do with what is in effect a short walk.
  • Mblaqsidetoside
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I know that when I first started working out, I was so unfit that I would get lightheaded and have to quit. I always stopped before I fainted because I feared that would put an end to my exercising. I was working out at Curves (not an overly strenuous workout), but I would have to step away from the circuit and sit down to recuperate.

Break up your workout into smaller pieces until your are stronger. You will get stronger if you keep working out, but don't push too hard at first.

I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm doing some hopping around on the internet and I'm seeing my symptoms are similar what happens to others when they start to work out. I think I will try to eat a lighter or healthier lunch and instead of doing the full 3 miles I'll start with 1 or 2 and see how I feel after. I know I can handle the entire workout but perhaps my body needs to catch up to me.
    Thanks so much!
  • Mblaqsidetoside
    Options
    I had horrible constipation which turned into diarrhea and due to how bad it hurt I blacked out.

That ain't normal.

I'd be calling my doctor, pronto, because that almost certainly had nothing to do with the routine itself.

The only reason I'm less worried about fainting from pain is because my doctor told me before I have a very sensitive vagus nerve however if it happens again I will definitely go to my doctor.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What was the workout? :sick:

I'm now interested in what the lunch was. More than likely it was the culprit, along with the lack of conditioning of the OP
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm doing some hopping around on the internet and I'm seeing my symptoms are similar what happens to others when they start to work out. I think I will try to eat a lighter or healthier lunch and instead of doing the full 3 miles I'll start with 1 or 2 and see how I feel after. I know I can handle the entire workout but perhaps my body needs to catch up to me.
    Thanks so much!

I strongly recommend against going on the internet to check your symptoms.

Well....unless you enjoy being told that you have cancer
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen from a reaction to dairy. I've had it happen from working out when I was heavier. And I've had it happen when I drank water that was very cold and a lot of it right after working out. I wouldn't go to the doc yet. I'd take tomorrow off to make sure you aren't getting sick. Then the next day workout but only do maybe a mile or two. And if you have water after, only drink a few sips at a time and play with the temp. Cold water just has never sat well with me. And don't drink it right away. Maye walk around your house a bit. Sit down for a bit or something and sip after a few minutes of cooling down. Good luck, OP and hope it clears up for you!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

That ain't normal.

I'd be calling my doctor, pronto, because that almost certainly had nothing to do with the routine itself.

The only reason I'm less worried about fainting from pain is because my doctor told me before I have a very sensitive vagus nerve however if it happens again I will definitely go to my doctor.

I have someone close to me who has had fainting spells related to vagus nerve, and I've seen it happen "in real time". Scary as hell. There are heart issues that can masquerade with similar symptoms, make sure you get yourself properly checked out.

If it is vagus-related, it's most likely that exercise and what you ate around it are just coincidental - it could have happened anywhere, anytime.
  • Mblaqsidetoside
    Options
    I've had this happen from a reaction to dairy. I've had it happen from working out when I was heavier. And I've had it happen when I drank water that was very cold and a lot of it right after working out. I wouldn't go to the doc yet. I'd take tomorrow off to make sure you aren't getting sick. Then the next day workout but only do maybe a mile or two. And if you have water after, only drink a few sips at a time and play with the temp. Cold water just has never sat well with me. And don't drink it right away. Maye walk around your house a bit. Sit down for a bit or something and sip after a few minutes of cooling down. Good luck, OP and hope it clears up for you!

Thank you! I feel bad you've experienced it but I'm happy someone knows what it's like. I will definitely take your advice. The water could have done it too
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    In an hour you probably haven't fully digested lunch.
    So if you are very much out of shape and very overweight an exercise bout will pull blood from your digestive system to the periphery where it is needed.
    The lack of blood to the digestive system basically slows digestion down and depending on a bunch of variables you'll get an "everything out now, two exits, no waiting" signaling going.

Perfect storm of poop and all.

Wait a little longer before your exercise, start slower and build up. Drink water in small sips and try to have it at room temp. Not too cold.

And see a doc anyway, at the start of any significant change in exercise regimen.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Electrolyte imbalance, usually caused by too much, or too little hydration. Ever notice the marathoners and Ironmen with the brown streaks running down their legs? I would advise checking with your doctor. Exercise should be a GOOD hurt. Best of luck to you.