Is being a little hungry a hard feeling to deal with after?

Options
I started counting calories through fitness pal last march and for the first few weeks did awesome. Counted every single calorie and lost weight. That was such a success for me! So why after having all that success would I go back to my old habits?

Well. I be hungry. And it's not like I had that starving feeling like I was left out in the desert for a week and need to have food. It was more..."I don't know how to be full like a skinny person". I'm so used to eating to the point where I'm just a bloated **** and I can't eat anymore. That's the feeling I've identified with myself as being full. I eat til I can't eat anymore. And that's why from march until well...now basically, I've kept screwing up over and over again.

Cause although on 1800-2000 calories a day I feel pretty good, I'm not stuffing my face. And that feeling of fullness from just eating everything in sight is almost like a drug. I always looked for that high of "oh god. That was good and this was good and that was good. OMG" and I always got excited thinking about the next meal deciding what I'd eat. It was part of my personality. My need for that high outweighed my need to be thin and healthy.

So now that I'm counting calories, I'm adjusting to this new feeling of fullness. The definition is changing from "I can't eat anymore I'm soooo full" to "I've eaten enough. I don't need to eat anymore to feel like my trip to the kitchen was worth it. I'm done"

I don't know why I didn't realize this sooner. My expectations the whole time needed to be adjusted because I built up so many bad habits over the years. It's like re training the brain. Anybody else find this to be the case? Where you think you're hungry and need to keep eating but you in fact have had enough? Smaller plates help too. It's all about perception.

Replies

• vniemo2
    vniemo2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the same way, most likely I ate 4000+ calories a day, getting used to my 2130 now.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first time really watching my calories and exercising. I'm doing really well! But, it was about 2 1/2 weeks of solidly eating 6 times a day, eating a deficit, and working out hard before I realized I was hungry because I was losing energy, not because I thought I should eat.

That was a huge difference because I could suddenly understand the difference in eating for fuel and eating to eat. If I was really hungry, I just ate more. Log everything and adjust as you go for hungry times. It gets easier! I promise!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Cause although on 1800-2000 calories a day I feel pretty good, I'm not stuffing my face. And that feeling of fullness from just eating everything in sight is almost like a drug. I always looked for that high of "oh god. That was good and this was good and that was good. OMG" and I always got excited thinking about the next meal deciding what I'd eat. It was part of my personality. My need for that high outweighed my need to be thin and healthy.

I totally get that. IF is a way for me to deal with those feelings - eat less often, so when I do eat, I get bigger, more satisfying meals.