Dealing with a physical disability?

Options
So, hey. I am struggling to get motivated. I started my weight loss journey about this time last year. I was doing pretty well until I got into a major car accident in August. I was in a coma and hospitalized for almost three months. I am home now and trying to get back into the habit of regular activity, but I am finding it hard. I lost much of my muscle while comatose so I am very weak. I was bench pressing 60 before the accident, but now I can barely lift 14 lbs. I am unable to run or jump because of the contracted state of my muscles. It is very discouraging.

Do any of you guys have physical problems that limit your activity? How do you stay positive? What sort of workouts do you do?

Replies

• chaplainamy1
    chaplainamy1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    See your dr. you should be getting some physical therapy.
  • chaplainamy1
    chaplainamy1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and have to go slow, not do too much at once. Start out with short distances, lighter weights, and increase very slowly.
  • GangreneHeart
    Options
    I was in physical therapy. After 2 visits, I lost my medicaid so they would only treat me if I could pay the $600 per visit upfront, which I couldn't. So I am trying to improve my physical impairments myself.
  • 86myHeadache
    86myHeadache Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    baby steps baby steps. My ailments made things take longer. Just being active at home, work, and as I could outdoors made doing more later easier. Like chaplainamy1 said physical therapy could do wonders for you. I hope you are more proactive than I was. Being positive came from hints of being able to be active again. Small milestones are huge victories. Be patient and proactive, you can do it...
  • Malaylah
    Options
    I hurt my back almost 3yrs ago and have trouble doing as much as I did before also. Have you tried water aerobics? Just keep at it and your body will start to strengthen and increase more as frustrating as it sounds.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear what happened, but as I tell my son, take this opportunity to rebuild again, and this time it will be better.
    For lifting, look into Strong lifts 5X5 Start off at 10, and work your way up to 100lbs. It won happen over night, but you will get there.
    Jumping: o.k so you can't jump Just practice jump roping. Practice getting your self off the floor. Try to jump over 1 book, then 2 books, then the yellow pages, etc..etc..etc..
    Give your self time, Roam wasn't built in a day.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are needing low impact exercise that is not going to be expensive I would suggest you try Tai chi. If you have access to a swimming pool that is very helpful. If you have a Y in your area they have flexible cost memberships based on income. Good luck. This is going to be a long journey.
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was in a head on collision 15 years ago with crushing injuries to both feet, both femurs shattered, chest crushed, blew major artery in chest. 30 days on a vent. Multiple surgeries. Lots of internal fixation to femurs, foot. Long painful rehab. Not able to do running and cycling even now. My wife had significant brain injury. I have a pretty good guess what you're dealing with. Happy to be your friend. Rehab and reclaiming your life is a marathon, not a sprint. You've started the journey! Get your feet pointed in the right direction and take the next right step. Go slow.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You'll have good days and bad-just like everyone else. You'll gave to work harder, and it'll take longer. So start now, and do your damnest every day!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,669 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me.

In 2011 I got swine flu, which became viral pneumonia, sceptic shock, and multiple organ failure. Spent 7 weeks on life support in intensive care. Then when I was recovering got Guiallain Barre Syndrome, an autoimmune disorder where you attack your own nerve cells while fighting off an infection.

I lost so much strength due lying in a hospital bed for 6 months. I used to do a ton of strength training, but couldn't even sit upright unassisted after my ordeal, never mind stand. It took 3 months of rehab to re-learn how to walk and write.

Hang in there.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,669 Member
    Options
    I walk with canes, and can't run but can use some cardio machines safely. Namely the elliptical trainer, rowing machine and stationary bike.

Because of the nerve damage from Guillain Barre Syndrome it is no longer safe for me to carry plates or dumbells from the rack to thebench, I need to stick to machines for strength training.
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Im waiting on a Heart op - somedays I celebrate just being able to make my bed, or hang out the washing, without getting out of breath. I focus mainly on being able to walk & rejoice in the fact I wouldnt have been able to complete even a half hour walk 2 years ago - or walked up a slight incline hill a year ago - or taken those steps - or lifted my baby bro without being out of breath.

Are there things I would like to do which I have done before, sure, but for now, I have to remember to be happy in the 'little victories' and realise what a HUGE accomplishment and change that is for me now.

If you are intent on 'gym' goals - Maybe, instead of comparing yourself to how you were pre-accident, You can watch yourself & compare yourself to where you were immediately post accident - with the goal of being where you were pre-accident.

ie. I can do 14!!! I could only do 'x' when i first got out - 1/4 way to goal!

You could even make a ticker for it :) You know, if you wanted.

Happy to be a friend - I dont have any of them yet :)
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Had to get my hip reconstructed a couple months ago and am still working on being able to walk without hobbling and controlling the muscles in my leg. It can be pretty discouraging, but it helps to focus on the little accomplishments (being able to lift my leg a little higher/ walk a little straighter than I could last week, etc.)

I would definitely recommend swimming for exercise, as that's what my PT recommended to me. It's much easier to move around and work on your control.
  • mere1982
    Options
    I broke my leg in sept and have just started working out again. since I have massive muscle loss and am unable to do leg weights because of surgery i am focusing on cardio and doing light weights with lots of reps. it's going to be slow just stick with it.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Several of my bones have been broken in several places. My shoulders are both double jointed and have had to live with the stress of dislocating too many times in one lifetime. I also got into a car accident, and the muscles on the right side of my body around my lat were torn pretty badly and everything around there got mangled, so I have some nerve damage there that causes discomfort and pain when I'm lifting.
    I'm also bipolar, and my lifting, weight, and mood hasn't always been consistent throughout my life.

But regardless of all that, I always find myself back in the gym at some point or another. I always come back weaker than I did before, and it's intensely discouraging.

The strength in your body is not the same as the strength in your head though. Your muscles don't know what they can do, but your head does. Keep it slow, teach your muscles to become strong again, you can't lift up a barbell and pound away at it from day one. It's a slow process, and the only strength that matters is yours, not anyone else's.
    Go slow on exercises that seem like they might cause pain or discomfort, or avoid them altogether until you've done enough stretching or light resistance work to get them up to speed.
    You need to redefine what strength means to you, it shouldn't be how much is on the bar, or how much you can pull for how long, it's the steps you make. Have you finally managed to complete a set of an exercise that you could barely stomach the week before? That's success, and that IS you get stronger, even if you haven't lifted any more pounds.

Just stick with it, and don't use any linear measure of success, as someone who has had to do a lot of physical rehab throughout his life, what's most important is that you can set and meet your own goals without worrying about typical measures of strength. The day I could actually do an overheard press without the joint in my right shoulder popping out and sliding around was a really freaking happy day for me.
    You'll find the right mindset.
  • vniemo2
    vniemo2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Had rotator cuff surgery in September and lost a lot of strength in my arm. has been slowly coming back. As of right now I do mostly cardio and leg training, while trying to rehab the shoulder. Would love to start lifting weights again, but that is months down the road still.
  • raineyd9
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi girl, I am just starting too. I have had many injuries. Yet, I know how you feel. A head injury is one that seems like it never ends. I have headaches every time I work out. I have neck pain, vestibular issues and I tore my ACL skiing.

What makes me keep pushing myself.... God and my family.... I am going to keep going to be with them. You have something too. Hearing these stories helped Thanks
  • AproMunro
    Options
    I injured both my my knees about 3 years ago at a time when I was totally destitute. No medical care whatsoever. My husband had to care for me as I lay in bed for over 4 months waiting for my knees to mend enough for me to try to learn to walk on them. They are still a mess after all this time but little by very little they improve. I am currently losing weight without exercise beyond basic floor movements (which I do on the bed because it is very hard for me to get down and up from the floor) like leg lifts and stretches.

I hate that I cannot just work out and pump my body into a sweaty frenzy. I hate that I have to focus on every step I take while walking. But I stay positive knowing that weight loss can happen without strenuous exercise, and that every pound I lose, helps my knees feel a little better. As long as you engage your muscles each day you will not lose too much. Just do some very simple Pilates or yoga type movements that are not too hard for you, and you can maintain them without working out really hard.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    To the OP and ALL who replied, you are an amazing bunch of individuals who have my utmost respect.

Dealing with physical/mental limitations is a difficult road to travel....my own story is mild compared to those spoken of here......I have dealt with a chronic pain illness since 1997, it damages nerves and eventually attacks internal organs and May this year was diagnosed with Lupus. I am now 51.....many of you here are SO young and I can't imagine being in the situation of being strong and able and cut down so suddenly......there is so much to deal with.

Everyone has given you sound advice OP....I am terribly sorry that you suffered such a devastating accident but I am ever so glad that you are looking forward. No you aren't back to your pre-accident prime but I have no doubt that your natural tenacity will see you there eventually. It sucks that you have been denied access to physical therapy.....I don't live in America so I can't be of any help in what to do next but others have made many suggestions.

Slow and steady wins the race and I thought setting up a ticker according to the situation NOW rather than before to be an awesome idea.

I wish you OP all the very best. If you would like my support please feel free to friend me. To all the others who replied I send my very best wishes as you continue your recovery, deal with the hand life has dealt you, and may you always find that extra oomph from wherever to continue to heal, train and succeed in achieving your dreams.

You are ALL SUPERSTARS :flowerforyou:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Please seek out Vocational Rehabilitation in your state. I work here in SC, and we have a physical therapy program as well as occupational therapy (among many other services) that are free of charge to people with disabilities. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.