I think I hit my first plateau.....

Options
I have now been the exact same weight (down to the ounce) for 3 weeks now!!!! :sad:

I'm not gonna lie....I'm a little discouraged.....but I'm going to remain positive and keep working and break through this!!!!!

Replies

• lfafnis
    lfafnis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Plateau's are very frustrating, but you just have to keep going! Sometimes it helps to cheat a little to get thru a plateau. It's strange but it does help. Good luck!
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just got off my first plateau. After consistently losing at least 1 pound a week for 4 months straight, I lost just .8 for all of October. IDespite the frustration I stuck with it and the scale is starting to go down again. Hang in there!!
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to zig zag your calories a little bit? I find that, that always works for me when I'm stuck. You could also try to switch up your exercise routine a little bit or up the intensity level.
  • PammyB3130
    Options
    I just went through the same thing....I was the same for about 2 1/2 weeks...it was driving me crazy! So I took a break for a week. I didn't eat horribly, but I stopped counting calories and I worked out a little less...I let my body rest a bit and then I started off strong again....and I've lost 4 pounds this week....!! Now this loss has me more motivated than ever!! I also changed my eating up a bit this week. I've started eating a big healthy breakfast (about 500 calories), a medium size lunch (about 400 calories) and then a small dinner (about 200 calories). so I eat most of my calories early in the day so I have all day to burn them off. I also do my workouts before breakfast (30 minute workout) and then before dinner (30-60 minute workout). I think this change up this week has shocked my body and I'm looking forward to sticking to this!. Hope you do power through this plateau and find what works for you!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I was on a plateau for 6 months while training for a marathon and then Triathlon season. The thing I kept telling myself was I am in much better shape then ever before. I was buying smaller clothes and looked better just couldn't get the scale to join in the program. I have finally started loosing some weight again and I am happy but it isn't as big of a deal. I just want to be in better physical condition now. Weight plays a part in that but it isn't my main priorty now.
  • Incisive
    Incisive Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just went through the same thing....I was the same for about 2 1/2 weeks...it was driving me crazy! So I took a break for a week. I didn't eat horribly, but I stopped counting calories and I worked out a little less...I let my body rest a bit and then I started off strong again....and I've lost 4 pounds this week....!! Now this loss has me more motivated than ever!! I also changed my eating up a bit this week. I've started eating a big healthy breakfast (about 500 calories), a medium size lunch (about 400 calories) and then a small dinner (about 200 calories). so I eat most of my calories early in the day so I have all day to burn them off. I also do my workouts before breakfast (30 minute workout) and then before dinner (30-60 minute workout). I think this change up this week has shocked my body and I'm looking forward to sticking to this!. Hope you do power through this plateau and find what works for you!!

1100 calories a day? You do workouts along with that?... That is crazy low. You are in starvation mode and your body is holding onto every bit of food it can and storing it. I work out about 60 mins a day too and I eat 2000 calories and am dropping weight like mad(I've lost 3lbs in just the 2 days I joined here). When I was on 1500 I was plateauing all the time. You have to be careful. If you eat too little, your metabolism is low all day and your heart rate is low. Tapering off calories during the day is good and its great that you're loading up on breaky, but keep eating lots right up to dinner and then taper off.

Remember, its not as simple as just eating less and working out. You have to feed your body and keep your metabolic rate high all through the day. Complex carbs and don't be afraid of fat because your body needs 1 gram of fat in order to synthesize 2 grams of protein. Just make sure its the good fat. Even a little bit of saturated fat is ok for you.

Just trying to help.
  • CHeMoTaCTiC
    CHeMoTaCTiC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had 1 major plateau and two small ones during my weight loss. it look me 8 days to break it. What finally did it was eating MORE (like many people have said). You need to ensure you are eating all of your calories INCLUDING ANY CALORIES YOU BURN WORKING OUT! If you deprive your body of too much fuel it will start to slow down your metabolism as it goes in to survival mode. Then you won't lose any weight. Keep the metabolism high and give your body the fuel its needs! Whatever you do, don't give up. All plateaus end.

The other key thing that someone else mentioned is make sure you space out your calorie intake. A nice big breakfast is critical. It's actually better to have big breakfast, moderate lunch, small dinner. You body needs the fuel during the day while you are awake, not at night (dinner) before you go to bed. It's a change of lifestyle and mentality. I wasn't a big breakfast person before. now I make sure I get at least 400 cal within an hour of waking up. Sets the body up for a good day!
  • staceybug13
    Options
    It can totally be frustrating for sure when the scale doesn't show the loss. Are you measuring yourself? You may be shedding inches. I think for me, the worst thing is, when you can't see the difference. Hang in there, you'll get through it.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Read Jillian Michaels "Master Your Metabolism". I have been battling a plateau for quite some time, read the book and so far have been doing better than I ever had before.
  • belfastbiker
    belfastbiker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went from 242 to 249 lbs in a month. Stopped tracking exercise and food.

Do you know why you've plateau'd?