Quit smoking ...

Options
So heres my story. I started at around 180lbs about 7-8 moths ago. Dropped to 160 in about 5 months. Didn't watch my food or exercise for the next few months but the weight stayed steady. I was at 163 on Nov 3rd... the day i quit smoking. I am today at 176lbs. after 6 weeks. I have been eating every time i feel like smoking. But having said that, my food intake would have been average of 2000 per day. Am so discouraged with the weight gain. Also... the only method by which I have ever lost any weight is when i go below 1000 calories. I need help/advise how to get back on the horse and also how to lose weight without doing this starvation diet which is just not sustainable. I am 46 years old and 5'5 in height.

Replies

• julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd try to focus on both things at once. I'd get a handle on quitting, accept that it might be a rough time for weight loss (aim for maintenance or minimal gain). When things feel more under control then focus on weight loss. I quit many years ago, but it required tapering and acceptance that I'd mess up occasionally. Gained maybe 10 lbs, but after awhile I replaced food with coffee or tea, and it was okay. Good luck : )
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on quitting, it is a very hard thing.

Try gum instead of food, that seems to help some people. Another thing you can do is eat carrots because you can hold them like a cig but they are very low in calories.

Another thing is you are crashing your metabolism and damaging it by eating 1000 cals making it super hard to keep weight off when you increase your calories. find out what you need for a deficit and track it...you'll get there in time just don't expect 1lb a day like some people.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Alinos31, I have a very similar scenario. I quit smoking on Nov 4th weighing 160, down from 180 (lost between Feb and Nov) and now in December 6 weeks after I quit, I have gained most of it back. My inital weight loss was straight forward using a 500 calorie deficit and I plan to follow that again.
    I have decided that I need to focus on one thing at a time. I smoked for 23 years and 6 weeks has not been long enough to finish re-training my brain I think. I've managed to replace smoking with peanut butter, eating about 1/2 lb a day most days. Obviously, I know why I've gained the weight back and how to correct it, but until I can control the urge it's not going to happen.
    My focus now is on learning to control the cravings and NOT replacing them with anything. No gum, candy, etc......because in the end I've got to learn to control the urges or I will be in a constant cycle of substitution.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    My father-in-law used tooth picks to help with the craving to smoke. Chew on those to trick your mind. It's going to be hard to get over that fixation but if you are serious it will be worth it. There is also gum, candies, of course sugar free. Munch on carrot sticks instead of other things.
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congrats on kicking the habit. I quit nearly two years ago. I began taking a walk during my breaks when I used to sit in my car and smoke. I feel a million times better. I have actually lost a little weight since I quit. Gum helps me tremendously. It will get much easier! I quit once many years ago and replaced cigarettes with chocolate chip cookies and gained 50 pounds! This time I have no urge to go back. I get little rushes from the elevated heart rate from exercise, even if it means going to the bathroom at work and doing 30 squats. :)