about deli meat

Options
they cut it way too thin, i feel i could do a better job (and not because i work in the meat department). does anyone buy there own and cut it? or should i just ask for them to cut the slices really thick, also those packaged ones at kroger are so so so thin, what am i doing.

Replies

• befit68
    befit68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't cut my own, however I just wanted to caution you (and everyone out there) about cheap deli meats. I hate to see a fellow MyFitPal user pickle themselves with Nitrates and yuck. Have you tried Boars head brand deli goods? That stuff is about the safest route you can take with deli foods and still give yourself a green light to enjoy it.. Yes it's more expensive, but If you care about yourself enough, you might find yourself eating out very little because of what a crap fest most fast food is. You'll be able to afford to eat healthier in the long run.. Plus they'll cut it any ol' way you want it. Good luck
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    Sorry, I don't cut my own, however I just wanted to caution you (and everyone out there) about cheap deli meats. I hate to see a fellow MyFitPal user pickle themselves with Nitrates and yuck. Have you tried Boars head brand deli goods? That stuff is about the safest route you can take with deli foods and still give yourself a green light to enjoy it.. Yes it's more expensive, but If you care about yourself enough, you might find yourself eating out very little because of what a crap fest most fast food is. You'll be able to afford to eat healthier in the long run.. Plus they'll cut it any ol' way you want it. Good luck
    i'll look for boars head. i did see some chemicals in the boxed lunched meat i bought. but i was talking about store bought
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You can ask them to cut it any thickness you like at the deli. They also make thick cut packaged, you just have to look for it.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Deli meat is a rich source of the vital nutrient "sodium".

If you need for your blood system to be at a higher salinity than, say, sea water, deli meat is the way to go.

If you are trying to lose weight or be healthy or something, you might want to rethink the cold cuts.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    you just ask....I always ask for thin cut depending on the meat....Ham is always thick. Everything else is thin!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

If you need for your blood system to be at a higher salinity than, say, sea water, deli meat is the way to go.

If you are trying to lose weight or be healthy or something, you might want to rethink the cold cuts.
    Nothing wrong with deli meat or the sodium in it. Just be aware of context and dosage and you don't have to give up any frilkken food on the planet.:happy:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

BAH! ... If you don't have hypertension, it's fine ... Plus, the make low sodium varieties ...

ETA: Personally, I try to avoid nitrates, so I only get lunchmeat from Whole Foods or Applegate Farm brand from the regular grocery store ...