Shin Splints

Options
I want to start running again but my legs are killing because of shin splints. Even walking at a fast pace hurts to the point i start to limp. Any suggestions or remedies on how to work past, or get ride of, or heal shin splints?

Replies

• donjessop
    Options
    When I started walking around the neighbourhood I would get shin splints when I started to walk quickly. It was taking all of the fun out of it and was making me nervous that I would never be able to get rid of my excess weight. And then a miracle happened ... I bought new shoes. I went to a store dedicated to runners and they examined my gait and suggested a new pair of, in my case, walking shoes. While I was initially skeptical the new shoes were actually the best investment I have made in shoes. They are comfortable and have helped me correct a slight wobble I had in my gait. Throughout this I also learned that for runners they should be considering replacing their shoes every 500 miles. For walkers that is every 800 miles. This is due to the wear and tear on the support mechanisms and the fact that they don't build the shoes to last forever.

Four months later I have significantly increased my speed and my distance and I don't feel a thing in my shins. I was a doubting Thomas but I was proven wrong.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, DON'T push through the pain. Rest is the best medicine in terms of shin splints. Also, many people swear by foam rollers (http://www.gaiam.com/s/gaiam/foam-roller/05-58272.html) to help massage the muscles and ease the pain. Take ibuprofen if you need to.

Next, invest in appropriate shoes. Like donjessop said, the best investment you can make is new shoes. Go to a store dedicated to runners to have your gait analyzed. The type of shoes you get depend on if your ankles roll in or out, if you're a toe, mid-foot, or heel striker, etc. I got terrible shin splints earlier this year. Even after resting, they came back within a few days. I got new shoes and haven't had them since. I buy a new pair every few months. Just like tires, shoes are only good for a certain amount of miles. I recommend buying two pairs so you can rotate between to two, giving each a day to rest and dry out (no need for athlete's foot!)

My doctor also recommended tracing (capital] letters with my feet to help stretch the muscles. This also doubles as an ankle strengthening exercise.

Feel better!
  • OldManJooby
    OldManJooby Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure your posture while running/walking on is correct. I remember when I first started running, I'd get that lower back pain that is so common.

Keep your back straight
    Eyes looking forward
    and your feet should land flat, on the balls.

Go run without shoes for 5 minutes-- that's how you should run.
  • birdslikearms
    birdslikearms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started to get these pretty bad when I started to run, after I hadn't for a few years. The best thing for this, is to stretch your shins... before and after you run, and any time you feel your shins need it.

To stretch your shins, rise up on your toes and lower back down several times. Lean or hold onto something if you think you might fall. You can also do this on the edge of stairs or anything that will allow your heals to hang lower than your toes. Hold the stretch, don't go up and down quickly.

Than do the same thing, but lean on your heals. Raise your toes up and down in the air. You can do this over an edge also.

After I started doing the above, I don't get shin splits anymore. I never even heard of these things or knew what they were at first. I do this stretch even if I'm not running. Its just a really good stretch in general.