I signed up for my first half marathon, advice!

Options
I am not new to doing races, this year alone I've probably logged thousands of miles, in September I ran a 10k, 7k and 5k in the 3 Saturday's of the month but what I am new to is running anything over 6 miles.

The race isn't until May 4th, I have over 7 months to train for it. I do plan on doing races in between now and then, a 10k on Thanksgiving morning, a few 5k's next month, a 5k, 10k and 10 mile race in February and March of next year.

What advice would you give me? There are a few places in my city that offer half marathon and marathon training programs. Bob Roncker's, a running shoe store, offers one that starts in January I believe. Would you recommend joining it? I suffered from severe illiotibial band syndrome when I first started running a decent amount and it seemed to really come back with a vengeance at about mile 5 or 6 of the last 10k I ran. I'm really concerned about it coming up in the half so I want to do everything I can to prepare for this the RIGHT way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The difference in 6 miles & 13.1 miles isn't really that big.

You have more than enough time to train. I really pay attention to my start and take it slow(5.5-6mph) the first mile or two. Listen to your body, when its ready to hit your stride.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105383-some1-that-has-had-cancer-would-like-share-a-run-with-me-2
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The difference between 6 miles and 13.1 miles is the same as going from zero to 6! It's huge! I don't know what that guy is thinking... You're doubling what you've already done and since you have an injury, my advice is to go slow and steady. Training programs might be a bit much for you if they are only 12-14 weeks. You might be better off finding a training program that is longer, like 16-18 weeks, so that it gives you time to slowly ramp up your mileage. Runkeeper has plans, Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway... they all have good plans.

You might also want to seek out advice from a physical therapist. They might be able to give you suggestions on how to strengthen certain muscles using other exercises to help eliminate the pain. I don't know much about the IT band or what helps, so I can't give any specific advice, but I think either a physical therapist or a sports trainer would be a good person to see once or twice.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, Flying Pig? Pay very good attention to your body, but what I would suggest, since you have the time, is start a very beginner half-marathon training program. It will probably seem a bit easy for you at first, but it will do a good job of slowly building your distance and hopefully not cause more injury. After that, do the next program up, or join Bob Ronkers or whatever other local running club is nearby. They're usually pretty good at tailoring for you.

Good luck! It's a fun (but somewhat difficult) race! Still not sure if I will sign up for it again this year!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Follow this plan (or one of the more advanced plans) to train
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program.

I actually tweaked it a tiny bit because I didn't want to run 10 miles and then a half (even though that's just another 5K to finish after 10 miles)

My first half is in 13 days and I am confident I will be able to complete it because of this schedule.

Have fun, respect the rest days on the schedule, and make sure if you are providing your own energy chews/gu and hydration that you train with them so there are no suprises come race day.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend joining the training program offered locally if it involves group training runs. I've done a few of them through one of my local running store and its been the best thing ever. Not only do you get support from experts you also get to talk to other runners building to the same goal. I ended up much more well informed and prepared and it was nice going into the race with people I knew and had been running with. We were able to coordinate things like getting to the start, mid-week "homework' runs, and share all sorts of tips (like massage, doctor, PT refferals). It was also very reassuring to be able to vent and hear others were feeling the same way.

I also made my 2 newest friends through the training group. We still run together but we also socialize a lot! Its been a blast!

I would also suggest trying to resolve those ITB issues before you go into training. Many running stores (especially those with training programs) have a list of professionals they can refer you too that will be familiar with runners issues. You can also check yelp.com and search reviews for runner specific or experienced.

It sounds like with all the running you've been doing already and proper training, you'll be all set to have a great first half!
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Let me guess, Flying Pig? Pay very good attention to your body, but what I would suggest, since you have the time, is start a very beginner half-marathon training program. It will probably seem a bit easy for you at first, but it will do a good job of slowly building your distance and hopefully not cause more injury. After that, do the next program up, or join Bob Ronkers or whatever other local running club is nearby. They're usually pretty good at tailoring for you.

Good luck! It's a fun (but somewhat difficult) race! Still not sure if I will sign up for it again this year!

Ha! Yep, the Pig. I am from Cincinnati so it was the easiest one to sign up for since it is local to me. Thanks for the information and advice. I have used the C25K, C210K apps before so I thought maybe I could find one that is like that for half marathons that perhaps I could use to start out now and then join with Roncker's when they begin their training as well.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I would highly recommend joining the training program offered locally if it involves group training runs. I've done a few of them through one of my local running store and its been the best thing ever. Not only do you get support from experts you also get to talk to other runners building to the same goal. I ended up much more well informed and prepared and it was nice going into the race with people I knew and had been running with. We were able to coordinate things like getting to the start, mid-week "homework' runs, and share all sorts of tips (like massage, doctor, PT refferals). It was also very reassuring to be able to vent and hear others were feeling the same way.

I also made my 2 newest friends through the training group. We still run together but we also socialize a lot! Its been a blast!

I would also suggest trying to resolve those ITB issues before you go into training. Many running stores (especially those with training programs) have a list of professionals they can refer you too that will be familiar with runners issues. You can also check yelp.com and search reviews for runner specific or experienced.

It sounds like with all the running you've been doing already and proper training, you'll be all set to have a great first half!

Thanks for the info and advice!

I think my ITB issues are relatively resolved, it's just something that I really have to pay attention to and watch. With them hurting during the 10k, I believe that was from the fact that I ran that race with no training and never having ran over 4 miles, so my ITB and legs just weren't used to or ready for anything like that. I hope that with the strengthening exercises I learned from my PT as well as the training programs, they will slowly work their way up to being able to handle longer distances.

I also need to use my foam roller a lot more than I do, it's just such a terrible feel good pain to roll those ITB's out, lol.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Follow this plan (or one of the more advanced plans) to train
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program.

I actually tweaked it a tiny bit because I didn't want to run 10 miles and then a half (even though that's just another 5K to finish after 10 miles)

My first half is in 13 days and I am confident I will be able to complete it because of this schedule.

Have fun, respect the rest days on the schedule, and make sure if you are providing your own energy chews/gu and hydration that you train with them so there are no suprises come race day.

I am currently following the Novice 2 of the Hal Higdon programs. I have tweaked it a bit to work with my schedule but it is a good program.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I just printed this schedule out! Thanks! :)
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My advice to you would be to make sure you are stretching properly, and get any issues that may come up taken care of immediately.

I'm of the same opinion as the first person who responded that increasing from 10k to 21.1k isn't that big of a deal as it seems like you've built a solid base,, you have tonnes of time to increase your distances until your projected race day. But increasing your distances will exasperate any injuries that you have or that will come up, and it'll do it quickly.

Join a clinic or download a program and follow it. Most programs will make sure you don't increase too quickly and will also have weeks with slightly fewer kms to give your body the rest it needs to recuperate. Good luck and have fun!
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow the hal higdon perfectly, but one thing he says that I found works for me is that the weekend long run is the most important run of the week. Also I noticed that once my training runs got closer to the half marathon distance, meal timing/carb intake started to really affect how I felt during the long runs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The difference between 6 miles and 13.1 miles is the same as going from zero to 6! It's huge! I don't know what that guy is thinking...

Sorry, not true. The hardest thing to do with running when your talking half marathon is starting out and get to 3-5 miles at a good pace. Once you can physically do that, its more mental than anything. Getting from 7-13.1 miles is not even in the same league when you first start out and have to go from 0-6 miles. The OP said she has over a thousand miles logged in, she should be able to make the jump in exception of her injury which is more of the concern in reality than her adding miles.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    The difference between 6 miles and 13.1 miles is the same as going from zero to 6! It's huge! I don't know what that guy is thinking...

Sorry, not true. The hardest thing to do with running when your talking half marathon is starting out and get to 3-5 miles at a good pace. Once you can physically do that, its more mental than anything. Getting from 7-13.1 miles is not even in the same league when you first start out and have to go from 0-6 miles. The OP said she has over a thousand miles logged in, she should be able to make the jump in exception of her injury which is more of the concern in reality than her adding miles.

I would agree, my biggest struggle is starting and maintaining a decent pace. Granted, I have never run 13.1 miles, but during my 10k, the hardest part was really the first 2 miles, after that I felt like it was entirely in my head. I just kept telling myself, you aren't stopping to walk, you don't need to walk, and made small goals, "if you can make it to that bridge, you can walk.." and I'd make it to the bridge and be like, "I don't need to walk!" So I'd make another one, "if you can make it to the next mile marker, you can walk.." but I didn't feel the need to walk every time I made those goals so I just kept running, lol. And before you know it, I was at the finish line!
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I guess I'm just a different runner. I'm also training for a half and it's a big jump for me.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I would say that everyone is different so the idea that what may be easy for some is not easy for you, would likely be true.
  • faye_25
    Options
    Why not go seek for a doctor's advice? It's better to check your health first before running to avoid injuries. You may train yourself but still be careful and don't force yourself too much. Then if you're already ready and up for it then go. :) May I suggest for you to use Flex Belt, http://www.youtube.com/EasiestWorkout , my cousin tried it while running and it gave her best results for her muscles. This is not a spam or what, I suggested it based from experience. :)
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I would agree, my biggest struggle is starting and maintaining a decent pace. Granted, I have never run 13.1 miles, but during my 10k, the hardest part was really the first 2 miles, after that I felt like it was entirely in my head. I just kept telling myself, you aren't stopping to walk, you don't need to walk, and made small goals, "if you can make it to that bridge, you can walk.." and I'd make it to the bridge and be like, "I don't need to walk!" So I'd make another one, "if you can make it to the next mile marker, you can walk.." but I didn't feel the need to walk every time I made those goals so I just kept running, lol. And before you know it, I was at the finish line!

I agree. Once you have a good base it's more mental. For an average/slow runner the peak mileage is only about 4.5 hours a week(I used Hal higdon) My first race ever was a 1/2 and I struggled way more with that than my marathons.