New to running and some advice please?

Options
Ok so i've just taken up running i'm starting off slow by running for 2 mins walking for 2 mins etc etc but my question is this

I get super sore calves during/after running

i warm up properly (i hope) but its painful real painful afterwards and i can only run/walk so far before they really start hurting.

i know i dont run fully but i get the same when doing a workout dvd afterwards i can sometimes hardly walk - i'd be able to do so much more because i've no stamina problem its just my calves...oh and my shins feels like a bone bruise!!

is there something i can do to stop this? i've only been exercising since july but i thought i'd see some improvement by now!

Replies

• CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I don't know but I'm about to start a C25K so I'm curious!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It is normal to be sore, especially since your muscles aren't used to running.

You said you were warming up properly. I would suggest warming up, then stretching.

Once you're done running are you making sure to stretch really good? Maybe you should get a good stretching DVD.

Also, you may want to take a break in-between running days to give your body a break :-)

-Chancy
  • IrishBarbie
    IrishBarbie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Maybe sounds like the beginning of shin splint? I run, I started a year ago and I'm up to three miles three times a week. When I get done running I stretch (I stretch before too) and I also do toe lifts, standing up with my feet slightly apart I go up on my toes and then back down on my heels. I do this ten to 12 times and it seems to help with not getting shin splints. Hope that helps! Keep up the good work, running is the source.
  • junebug523
    Options
    You might also try icing your shins after working out.

Good on you, though, for taking it slow! Running is a fantastic workout, but it is hard for our bodies to get used to because it is so high impact. Keep it up, don't run through pain, and keep looking for ideas from us! Take some time off if needed.

Also--what kind of shoes are you running in? It could be that you need something that will support you better, and provide more cushioning. I started running in some super old shoes, and it wasn't until I finally got a new pair that actually did the job, that I was able to make some significant improvements. It's an investment, but worth it to keep your feet and legs happy.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Provided your not dehydrated (which can cause cramps in the calves). Sounds like you need to stretch. After you warm up, find a wall. Stand facing the wall, put your toes up on the wall with your heel on the ground (one foot at a time of course or you'll end up on your rump) and then lean forward (toward the wall). This ill give a nice lengthening stretch to the calf. do this before AND (especially) after. If you're not properly stretching after your run- your muscles will stay tightened and not recover as quickly. (which could be why they're cramping during your run).

Check out this site they have lots of other great stretches and running advice.

http://running.about.com/od/stretchesforrunners/tp/stretchesforrunning.htm

Happy running!!
    :bigsmile:
  • jesscapade
    jesscapade Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started running as well! It WILL pass if you're patient and treat your body well in the meantime. I never have the sore calf problem anymore.

Things I changed to make (unbearable) calf pain go away that might work for you:

1. stretch after at least 10 minutes of jogging (or jog-walk) warmup
    2. incorporate dynamic stretching (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html)
    3. run faster. I know this might sound crazy, but sore calves also come from a stride length that's too short. if you're using your energy (and muscles) to propel your body vertically, rather than horizontally, you'll wear out your calves. try increasing your speed if you're using a treadmill and focus on rolling through from heel all the way to your toe. Less bounce in your stride will be much easier on your breathing as well. You might be faster than you think you are! :)
    4. cross training. this was the most important part, actually. I started biking as many days a week as I was running, which really strengthened my calf muscles. It also will help alleviate what sounds like the start of shin splints by giving you a low impact cardio day.

Good luck!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Sore shins equals shin splints! Get your footwear checked @ a quality othopedic shoe store, then stop running on the pavement & switch to the gravel shoulder or whatever other soft surface you can find. If you're running on a treadmill-well then I don't know what to do other than get your footwear checked, sorry.
    Muscle cramps are potassium/calcum/magnesium imbalances as well as dehydration.
    Take a day (or more) off between runs. You should feel sore most days if you're working out right, but if you're so sore it's affecting your life then you're overdoing it.

Also, NEVER stretch unless your heart rate is elevated, preferably 22 beats/10 seconds.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've actually read in several different articles that if you stretch before you run you actually increase your chance of injury because you are stretching cold muscles. I never stretch before i run, I just go! When I get done running, I stretch for a little while (not as long as I should) but i pay particular attention to my calves, hamstrings, and quads. You can start warming up by walking for a few minutes and maybe stretch after about 5 min or so or whenever you feel your legs have warmed up more. You will just have to try out different things and see what works for you.
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    once again brilliant advice from you guys thanks very much!

couple of things from the various bits of advice -

yup i'm running in cheap trainers - i brought them for indoor aerobics before i was serious so i'll look into investing in some real running shoes.

Tonight i did stop when i felt my legs getting tight and had a little stretch and for the first time after running i stretched afterwards and they do feel better now (after a soak in the bath too) than usual so i'll use the links and do some real reading up on proper running procedure.

also i've been running with quite small steps so next time i go out i'll make sure that i run properly.

and yeah i run on grass (along side a river) which does feel much better than pavement.

who knew that running was so complex i thought it was just get out there and run lol!!

dont worry it wont put me off!

really, thank you all again for the kind words, good help and advice!

now can anyone recommend some good running shoes that don't cost the earth??
  • Gingerbelle2
    Options
    Hi there! I just started a Couch to 5k program. I will be running a 5k in March. I decided to find a podcast as I knew it would be easier if I didn't have to time it myself. I found a great one! What I learned from it is that you don't want to over do it. If you do, you'll end up really sore or even injured. Just do a little bit at a time. The week one workout was pretty easy.
    5 minute warm-up walk, followed by 4 intervals of 2 minute jogs (with 3 minute recovery walks in between). Then another 5 minute walk to cool down. I will do this 3 times a week then move on to the week 2 podcast.

This is my very first time attempting to become a runner. Although I was anxious to get a longer workout in, I decided to take the trainer's advice and take it easy. I don't want an injury to slow me down.

If you're interested, check out the free podcast. http://runningmatemedia.com/podcast/
    This page will give you to link to download the podcasts from itunes. If you're not an itunes user, they do provide an alternate link.

Good luck!
  • laurenpence
    Options
    Hi- I have been running for about 5 years now and what your shins sound like it shin splits.....give yourself a day of rest in between run days and make sure you have the proper running shoes for your kind of stride. Some people over rotate their ankle while other under rotate it and others are neutral. The proper running shoes will help keep your feet int he correct position and reducing your chances of getting a running related injury. Your calfs just sound like they are sore. Walk before you run to warm up your legs and make sure you stretch really good afterwards. Do not do warm compresses......try cold ones instead. This will help with the after workout soreness.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    yup i'm running in cheap trainers - i brought them for indoor aerobics before i was serious so i'll look into investing in some real running shoes.

Tonight i did stop when i felt my legs getting tight and had a little stretch and for the first time after running i stretched afterwards and they do feel better now (after a soak in the bath too) than usual so i'll use the links and do some real reading up on proper running procedure.

now can anyone recommend some good running shoes that don't cost the earth??

I'm not a pro by any means but I would really plan on shelling out at least $100 for shoes. I used to be a Nike girl, but a few weeks ago I bought my first asics. They are Asics gel cumulus 12. Theses are honestly the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. I won't buy anything else now.
    When you said you soaked in the tub, was it hot or cold? An ice bath is best. I've never completely submerged my body in ice, just my feet. Warning, it is painful but very effective for circulation and recovery.
    One more thing, I have also read that the perfect recovery drink is chocolate milk. Google it and you'll find it. Great run today!
  • Roobean33
    Options
    I've tried running to lose weight, but I always feel like I get bulky from running especially in the legs....am I not running far enough, too fast, too slow?? I usually do like 2 miles or so, nothing crazy lol.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    STRETCH!!!! Trust me on this. STRETCH before and after! On the days when I don't stretch properly, I feel it. As a general rule of thumb, I stretch each muscle for at least 20-30 seconds EACH. So for example, over all, it takes me a good 4-5 minutes to stretch. I used to ignore this advice but I learned the hard way that it's important. Trust me.
  • junebug523
    Options
    Roobean, how long have you stuck with running in the past before giving up? It's possible the "bulkiness" you have noticed is from water retention in your muscles. If they're not used to a certain kind of workout, they will often react that way for a while. You sometimes have to stick with something for several weeks to really know how it's affecting you.

All I know is that running is probably the #1 thing that has kept me from plateauing over the past few months, and I'm definitely slimming down!
  • abaltes
    Options
    I agree that asics really are the best running shoes out there, but you don't necessarily need to buy a $100 pair. A good pair can be found for about $60.
  • Roobean33
    Options
    Junebug - I'm just now getting back into running. You may have point though, because I am not the most consistent. :blushing:
    I will keep at it !
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    I started with the C25K program and have run in several 5K now. I've now moved up to a 10K. I did my first 10K today. Next on the list is a 1/2 marathon. My only problem is I'm really not losing any weight. The more I run the more I eat (it's mostly healthy).

Good luck on your C25K program! You can do it . Just take it slow and easy until your body adjusts.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K program and have run in several 5K now. I've now moved up to a 10K. I did my first 10K today. Next on the list is a 1/2 marathon. My only problem is I'm really not losing any weight. The more I run the more I eat (it's mostly healthy).

Good luck on your C25K program! You can do it . Just take it slow and easy until your body adjusts.

Karren, How long did the process take you to go from Couch to 5K and then to 10K?
  • splooshcar
    Options
    RE: C25K podcasts
    I LOVE Nicole Blum's C25K podcasts (not sure if I can post link but goggle that phrase and it will be top hit). Techno drives me a little nutty over time. Nicole plays a mix of hip-hop and pop, timed to the C25k workouts.

C25K works if you stick with it. I have had shin splints my entire life. I started the program last January and I ran 4mi last weekend without shin splints. Follow the program, take prescribed time off, only run the scheduled workout (don't get high on endorphins like me and injur yourself), and get good shoes. You can do it. :wink:

RE: 10K training
    I've seen some links for the Gateway to 10K (G810K). Has anyone tried it? Any experiences/suggestions?