Losing weight but not going overboard

Options
Hi everyone! Its been awhile since I've been here but I think it is time for me to start up again. I would like some advice for how to balance losing weight to the ideal amount yet stopping the weight loss once you've achieved your optimal weight.

About a year and a half ago, I started dieting starting from weighing about 125 lbs (5 ft 3.5 in). I planned on just getting to 115 pounds. One I started losing weight, getting compliments, etc., I decided to continue with the process along with running and dancing 3-5 times a week. Long story short, I ended up getting to 97 lbs with ribs showing. It was a bad time in my life.

I eventually realized that I had to gain some weight back. I decided to avoid ever looking at a scale and not pay attention as much with what I eat. I also got a serious foot injury which set me back with my exercise routine. I finally got to the point that I am fitting into size 6 (previously being a size 0)...and I am starting to get very frustrated about it. I know it is within the acceptable weight range, but I don't feel like it is my optimal weight. I actually have gotten quite upset by it, to the point of crying when I saw the size change that drastically. Unfortunately I can't do cardio well with my foot until I recover from surgery so I a starting to count calories again instead.

I want to lose weight to about 115 lbs...not much. However, I am concerned about the possibility of starting to lose too much again. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to lose weight without giving in to over dieting? I want to be my best, physically, mentally and with self confidence

Replies

• _wonderless_
    Options
    Well, can I ask, when you dieted, what was your calorie intake per day?
    My best advice would be to do it slowly. Eat around 1200 cals a day. Or more depending on your height and weight. Also, don't completely cut out all junk food. Eat healthy for each meal (but still with good carbs and healthy fats like bread, potato, dairy, etc) and then give yourself a couple of snacks or a dessert. Like ice cream and berries at the end of the day. I did this sort of thing a while back and 4kg (9lbs) just fell off me. Also do weight training to build strength and muscle mass. Being toned and weighing more is better than being pudgy but weighing less. Make a meal and exercise plan and give yourself a cheat day - like the day you might go out (usually a day on the weekend) you still count but don't care if you go over your goal or not.
    Good luck and I hope I've helped!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

I want to lose weight to about 115 lbs...not much.

Yeah, piece of cake....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think the first thing you need to realize is weight doesn't determine how you are going to look... body composition will. If you look at the link below you will see a women who gained 20lbs to get more lean. Second, the biggest way to prevent a disaster is educating yourself about weight loss and goals. Third, set your account to no more than 1lb per week, then get a food scale to make sure measurements are accurate, and do weight training with some cardio. Also, adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats will help you hit 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass which is the acceptable rates to help with satiety and to prevent muscle loss during a calorie deficit. And lastly, i provided you with another link to get started. Read it, memorize it and stay active on the boards.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lakay333
    lakay333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, can I ask, when you dieted, what was your calorie intake per day?
    My best advice would be to do it slowly. Eat around 1200 cals a day. Or more depending on your height and weight.

My calorie intake was originally around 1200, but when I kept losing weight significantly, I increased it slightly to between 1350 - 1500 a day, but still kept losing as long as I was tracking the calories.
    Also do weight training to build strength and muscle mass. Being toned and weighing more is better than being pudgy but weighing less.

I know that cardio normally goes along with a weight training plan. Do you have any suggestions for cardio that doesn't involve your feet? Unfortunately having foot sirgery will preclude many exercises until I am healed. As far as weight training goes, I have a membership at Planet Fitness so I will ask them to help with a weight training plan. I could still do upper body training no matter what shape my foot is in.

Thanks!
  • lakay333
    Options
    As I said earlier, my weight goal is not the problem, instead it is how to avoid over-dieting and be healthy. It was a huge struggle for me for quite some time, where i became very unhealthy. I don't want to go there again.

We all have our own challenges...each one different but a challenge nonetheless.

Yeah, piece of cake....
  • lakay333
    Options
    Do you think a scale like the Fitbit Aria is worth it to measure body composition?

The more I think about it, I'm realizing that I can still get healthier after I reach my goal weight only through weight training, etc. Maybe that will have to be my strategy to keep my motivation without going overboard.

Also, any suggestions for cardio while injured?

Thanks!
    I think the first thing you need to realize is weight doesn't determine how you are going to look... body composition will. If you look at the link below you will see a women who gained 20lbs to get more lean. Second, the biggest way to prevent a disaster is educating yourself about weight loss and goals. Third, set your account to no more than 1lb per week, then get a food scale to make sure measurements are accurate, and do weight training with some cardio. Also, adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats will help you hit 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass which is the acceptable rates to help with satiety and to prevent muscle loss during a calorie deficit. And lastly, i provided you with another link to get started. Read it, memorize it and stay active on the boards.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Log your food ahead and concentrate on getting tweaking your micros and macros to awesome healthy numbers. Become a health nut. It sounds like you are easily motivated and can be obsessive in your goals, so make your goal strength and health. You can lift and do sit ups without involving your feet. Use your strong determination to your advantage. Good luck!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    As I said earlier, my weight goal is not the problem, instead it is how to avoid over-dieting and be healthy. It was a huge struggle for me for quite some time, where i became very unhealthy. I don't want to go there again.

We all have our own challenges...each one different but a challenge nonetheless.

Yeah, piece of cake....

Just set a reasonable weight loss figure on MFP and then just use a common sense diet. No radical carb free ones. Just eat less. Do some regular exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you think a scale like the Fitbit Aria is worth it to measure body composition?

The more I think about it, I'm realizing that I can still get healthier after I reach my goal weight only through weight training, etc. Maybe that will have to be my strategy to keep my motivation without going overboard.

Thanks!

I wouldn't even invest in a fitbit. If anything, invest in a good food scale. Second, your intake will be higher than 1200 calories. I would put your base calories around 1300 and if you exercise probably 1600. Also, don't worry about cardio. Just work 3-4 days of full body workout routines. Cardio isn't needed for weight loss. Additionally, when you start doing full body workouts, you will get your heart rate up. In fact, I sweat just as much doing compound lifts as I do when I do cardio.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Body composition is tough to accurately measure, especially through a scale. Skin fold calipers are a better choice, but to get real accurate with those, you'll need someone who knows what they're doing to take the measurements. I can't recall the name of the product, but there is one out there for $20 or so (I think it may be called Accumeasure; funny that I use one but can't think of the name right now) that purports to accurately deduce your BF% by taking one measurement by yourself. Significantly cheaper than the scales and professional calipers; accuracy is questionable. HOWEVER, through consistent measurement at the same site, you will get an idea if you're losing bodyfat as opposed to "weight".

As to question 2, it depends on your injury. If you can support just a bit of extra weight (15-25 lbs), I would suggest kettlebell swings. They will get your heart rate up and keep it up as long as you like. You'll need a bit of instruction (some kettlebell videos I've seen are laughable and could actually lead to back injuries if you followed the form demonstrated, so be careful), but swings are very easy on the leg joints. No impact forces as with walking or jogging. YouTube has a lot of kettlebell videos. Try Pavel Tsatsouline, Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell, Lauren Brooks, or Lisa Schaffer for good instruction.

If you can't support that much extra weight, double ski poling with a couple of 1-3 lb Heavy Hand weights ought to do the trick.

Best advice, though, would be to hold off until you've recovered from the surgery completely. Feet are very complex pieces of equipment and messing one up will make the rest of your life just suck more than it needs to. You've demonstrated in the past you can lose weight; why push it and risk damaging your foot?
  • _wonderless_
    Options
    Well, if you kept loosing weight at 1300-1500 cals, try for 1600. Because all this exercise would probably bring you back down to about 1200-1400 depending on the intensity of the work out. As for cardio that doesn't include foot movement, I've heard kettleballs are great for both strength and with a simple continuous movement can also be a good cardio type exercise.