A few questions

Options
Okay so here is my situation. I work as a CNA 3 days a week for 12 hours a day. No day is ever the same so one could be crazy hectic busy and the next dull and not have much to do. However on my 4 days off I don't do nearly as much as I do on a work day. So do I set my goals as Sediatary or lightly active and log my workday or set as active? I am leaning more towards the sediatary/lightly active as thats my lifestyle more than working. HELP!

Replies

• _Amstel_
    Options
    Start off as sedentary, you can always change it in a few weeks time if your weight loss is not to your satisfaction.
  • dlfischer1
    Options
    Then log my calories burnt while i was at work?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I have no idea what a CNA is. Does "crazy, hectic, busy" actually equate to physical exertion?
    Anyway, unless you wear a heart-rate monitor at work, you're just going to have to take a guess, log religiously for a few weeks, and use your results to figure out what you're really burning. (gross calories consumed + [3500 X pounds lost] = calories burned). I'd go with lightly active, and log an extra 500 calories for work days that involve a lot of physical exertion (if you're just talking about a lot of fast walking throughout the day from one part of your workspace to another, maybe log 300 calories for the day).
    Don't get stressed out over this. You'll figure it out.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    CNA = certified nursing assistant?

I would set your activity level as sedentary and when you do have one of those crazy-busy running around work days (which you said aren't all the time) then estimate and add the calories for those days only.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Which one you select is not all that important.

Choose one. Track your intake carefully.

Monitor the rate at which your weight changes over the course of weeks, and adjust your intake based on those results.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    CNA = certified nursing assistant?

I would set your activity level as sedentary and when you do have one of those crazy-busy running around work days (which you said aren't all the time) then estimate and add the calories for those days only.

This is what I would do also. On your 12 hour work days log exercise of maybe 90 minutes of cardio exercise and eat back those extra calories when they are given to you. Patience is key until you dial in what works for you.
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've never had a HRM, but I do have a Fitbit Flex. Every six weeks I switch medical rotation sites... every six weeks, my activity level has changed. (I went from running around in an ER to a more laid-back dermatology office...) I fluctuated from very active to what I would consider pretty sedentary, but my Fitbit logs my "negative calories." If I don't burn (based on what Fitbit has for my activity level) what MFP thinks I should have burned based on the information I supplied when I signed up, it "takes calories away." My MFP settings have me at 1310/day and if I'm not active enough, it just drops me down to 1200 calories, but never any less.

*This post was written under the influence of cold medicine. I apologize if it doesn't make any sense, but I hope it does and it's helpful!
  • dlfischer1
    Options
    Sorry, I have no idea what a CNA is. Does "crazy, hectic, busy" actually equate to physical exertion?
    Anyway, unless you wear a heart-rate monitor at work, you're just going to have to take a guess, log religiously for a few weeks, and use your results to figure out what you're really burning. (gross calories consumed + [3500 X pounds lost] = calories burned). I'd go with lightly active, and log an extra 500 calories for work days that involve a lot of physical exertion (if you're just talking about a lot of fast walking throughout the day from one part of your workspace to another, maybe log 300 calories for the day).
    Don't get stressed out over this. You'll figure it out.

Yes on a crazy busy day means that I run around taking care of patients more than I get to sit down to chart things. Some days I don't even get to eat a lunch I am so busy.