What do you eat besides oatmeal

Options
Oatmeal is so convenient and so healthy, fiber, iron, whole grains, protein.... But I go through periods where I've eaten it so often that I absolutely need to take a hiatus. What are some creative breakfast ideas you've done to get all the goodness of oatmeal without eating oatmeal?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know you said creative, but I'm still going to say these! When I get sick of oatmeal, I usually have Frosted Mini Wheats (I love them because my dad and I would eat them every morning!) and this quinoa based cereal from Nature's path with a little honey drizzled on top. It's quick and easy, so those two plus oatmeal eggs are my go-to's. But I also really enjoy splurging and going for a bagel and lox every now and again. You can find bagels with lots of fiber these days or even make your own! And speaking of making your own, muffins, banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread, and pancakes area all things you can make ahead of time in big portions, then just grab and reaheat them throughout the week. If you make it yourself, you can mix in different flours (or even things like flaxseed) to give it a little more fiber. I like to have some protein too, so I like hard boiled eggs and (like I mentioned before) lox. Quick and easy! No cooking, minimal mess! My husband actually has a protein shake and just adds some powder fiber to that. So hopefully you get some ideas!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Muesli (granola) plus a handful of salad seed mix, plus a fiber powder plus milk. Yum
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have Fage 0% greek yogurt and a cup of grapes. Lots of protein in that. I also have bakery on main's oatmeal, as it has a heck of a lot quinoa. Other good ones are a boiled egg with a lite emmenthal laughing cow cheese triangle on organic, wholewheat toast. That gives you about 240 calories and very healthy. Other ones are cottage cheese with fruit, I make my own coleslaw at 120 calories and you get two cups of the stuff. I also do Indian spinach with lite cottage cheese and spices, those are always good for little pots to work. Other alternatives are chicken liver pate on rye or I even make mini spanish omelets with those laughing cow slices. I'm not into having a lot of bread or sweet things in my diet, so I skip the sugary cereals, muffins, etc. myself, as it just messes with my stomach and I found once I cut those things out of my diet, it was easy to lose and maintain weight and I noticed a difference in the way I look and feel.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't eat oatmeal. And don't think it's that healthy. I rather protein (usually eggs), good fats and vegies for breakfast!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal pancakes...

1 cup rolled oats
    1 banana, or pear, or apple
    4 egg whites
    vanilla and cinnamon to taste

Whip up together in a blender until smooth... butter or non stick spray (I prefer butter but whichever you prefer) in a skillet and cook em up the same as you would a regular pancake. That said, take extra care flipping them... enjoy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes, eggs, cereal and milk...
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like oat bran over oatmeal, has more protein and fiber! I do oatmeal on workout days and eggs on non workout days, keep it from getting too boring.
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    eggs, steak, ribs and of course bacon. I'm a big fan of protein for breakfast.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a schedule-and-list guy than a variety-and-mix-it-up guy when it comes to breakfast.

I eat 1.5 servings of eggbeaters with 3-pepper blend (or baby bellas, or both), 1/2 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon and no sugar. A couple handfulls of medicine, vitamins, fish oils, and some stuff to make my coat all shiny and a big glass of water to wash it all down. Meal 1 down, two more to go. And snacks.
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful ideas everyone. Can't wait to try some of these.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Omelettes, scrambled eggs, toast :)
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Omletts are my new go to breakfast. Some egg beaters, any kind of protien and some salsa and i am good. Got tired of oatmeal and now i am on this kick for now.
  • AddyB80
    Options
    Rice cakes and that Fage Fat free yoghart stuff...

Tuna... by the truck load and peanut butter... mainly for the fats (but only when I have been good)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I actually don't care too much for oatmeal. I love Fage 0% Greek yogurt with Nature Valley granola (comes in honey oat or dark chocolate for 10g protein per serving) and chia seeds. Or two sunny side up eggs cooked in coconut oil on toast. ♥ I love cutting the yolk on the toast, so it seeps into the bread. I put some salt, pepper, and a little cayenne and basil on it, too.Sometimes, I'll mix a TBS of protein powder in my coffee, too. Depends on the day :)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is so convenient and so healthy, fiber, iron, whole grains, protein.... But I go through periods where I've eaten it so often that I absolutely need to take a hiatus. What are some creative breakfast ideas you've done to get all the goodness of oatmeal without eating oatmeal?

My current favorite way to break my fast is a large sweet potato, thinly sliced, baked until just turning crisp. With cinnamon sugar and salt sprinkled on top :love:
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Cocoa Wheats and Cream of Wheat is the BEST! It's like the nutella of breakfast. Add in some stevia to both and it's heaven!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite breakfast's (and what I had this morning actually) is

1/2 cantaloupe
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    & chia seeds

1) it's delicious
    2) it's light but still fills you up
    3) the cantaloupe acts as a bowl so the only dirty dish you have is your spoon :)