What are some 'sneaky' foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• shannaniggans
    Options
    I always thought granola bars were a healthy snack, but sometimes I'm better off eating a candy bar... >__< Same thing with dried fruit. So much sugar in so little!

but most of all...
    ALCOHOL
    I can drink an entire day's worth of calories in an hour
    :((((
    I miss being drunk

LOL :)
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Pretty much anything high in fats as has been said is a surprise. This is also why fast foods tend to be higher in cals, because of all of the fats. Look at all the different ways we eat hot chips. You would be surprised the difference in the amount of cals between different chips, the fat free ones you cook in the oven are quite low compared to the ones cooked in oil and sold from McDonalds or something.

Nuts and seeds are generally quite high in fats and at 9kcals a gram rather than 4kcals for proteins or carbs, high fat foods generally do surprise you.

Having said that these things, nuts, seeds etc. are very healthy for you. Just don't overdo them. I also tend to bag a serve of food and put aside the rest so that I don't over-eat because we have all opened a bag of cashews or a packet of chips and before we have known it the bag is empty and you start to feel crappy soon after...
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

However, now that I'm well into a healthier lifestyle, the portion sizes doesn't seem "unfair" to me anymore. :)

exactly... and you find ways around things. I'm putting parmesan and feta and those cheese on things now, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more flavour bang for your calorie buck.

re the sunflower seeds, I put 5g in my salads and it's well worth the calories :)

for the most part the only thing I was astounded at the calories being so high on was ... actually, to be honest, nothing. I knew, I was just ignoring it!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I stay away from regular salad dressings and instead buy ones made with Greek yogurt. The ranch I used to buy before changing my lifestyle had like 80 more calories per serving and 10 more grams of fat! disgusting.

I hate how much calories/fat a bit of peanut butter has, but I eat it anyhow. I used to just smother my bagels/pretzel sticks with it. Now it's two tablespoons here and there when I want it. Forever in love with peanut butter.. haha
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    depends on what you mean by "sneaky"... if you mean that they are here on a secret reconnaissance mission to determine our weaknesses as a species so that those can be exploited by an alien invasion from another galaxy that will ultimately subject humanity to eons of slavery and bondage, then...

...brussels sprouts are sneaky.

they are also inedible.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When I first started my MFP journey, I was SORELY disappointed to see a "serving" of pasta. I was eating 3x what I should have been!
    also, I saw cheese on here, and I second that!
    However, now that I'm well into a healthier lifestyle, the portion sizes doesn't seem "unfair" to me anymore. :)

Agree pasta and also rice 2 to 4 ounces isn't very much
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Pizza. Yes, I mean, it's obvious that it's not exactly the healthiest kind of food, but I was shocked to see that even if just *half* a vegetarian pizza can get to 800-1000 calories. AND WHO EATS ONLY HALF A PIZZA?
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, good for protein but packed with calories.
  • djbeba
    Options
    Yogurt ! Yogurt is one nasty *kitten*! one small cup takes something like 150 calories ! Craaazy! :) I now eat one per day...and not everyday.
  • Ozzzy66
    Ozzzy66 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fast Food, even the healthy stuff is loaded with sodium. I use to always get two small cheese burgers off the dollar section and skip the fries. The small cheese burgers have around 400 calories and 900 mg of sodium. If I have to eat fast food now I try to go to one that uses fresh chicken. I get my protein and I will have a healthy carb based snack when I get home.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Well for starters it turns out I was using about 500 calories worth of syrup per serving of pancakes >.> Oops. Bye bye syrup!
    Overall, I wasn't surprised by the calorie content of one single food alone. What surprised me, was the same food, from different restaurants or manufacturers. It's amazing how one serving of one type of food can be reasonable, whereas if you get that same food elsewhere, a serving may be over half of your daily calories! It's amazing how one restaurant's entree can be so much higher than another's, just by using more butter, full fat cheese, etc. that you otherwise wouldn't even notice was there unless you looked it up online!
  • Nuts are so good but so bad!

I earned myself a single serve of icecream last night, and when I looked at it I was like "That's it?? That's how much people are supposed to be eating??"

that's why i make my own frozen greek yogurt :)
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Overall, I wasn't surprised by the calorie content of one single food alone. What surprised me, was the same food, from different restaurants or manufacturers. It's amazing how one serving of one type of food can be reasonable, whereas if you get that same food elsewhere, a serving may be over half of your daily calories! It's amazing how one restaurant's entree can be so much higher than another's, just by using more butter, full fat cheese, etc. that you otherwise wouldn't even notice was there unless you looked it up online!

THIS!
  • Shnookington
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the chicken flavoured crispy noodles had less calories than the plain one. Only slightly, but still. They had more sodium, but it was worth it for that extra taste. They'd be what I seasoned my salads with.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    The first time I weighed out a serving of cereal I was pretty disappointed.

Exactly!
  • yixzy
    yixzy Posts: 3
    Options
    Banana chips. I always thought they were healthy, you know, because fruit...but nope, apparently they are deep fried after they are dried, and I ate 1000 calories of them in just one day...whoops...

(damn, I really love banana chips)