Trying to be nicer to me

Options
I'm wondering, since there are so many a positive and happy soul here at MFP. if you have any suggestions for books or websites or anything that could help lead me down a happier, more positive path. I'm looking back at my life lately, and I've spent so much of it not being happy that it almost seems like a waste. I'm not doing things that make me happy either because they mean time away from family or because I don't feel I deserve them, too fat, too slow, to unathletic....(I've got a lot of these).

I'm trying to find the girl I was in high school, sort of. Not the girl who couldn't do anything without boys there, but the girl I was on the volleyball court. Driven, happy, confident, even a little cocky. Someone that made people in the stands notice my leadership ability. My basketball coach called me after my senior year to tell me that even though he had already selected captain for the year, he felt he had to add me because of what he saw on the court.

How do I find her. I'm so sick of wasting the time I have here on feeling poorly and being sad or angry. It's not worth it. I just have to find a way to get her to come out. To stop feeling not smart enough, not pretty enough, not as skinny as the rest of my family. I just need a way to make that stick in my head. Any ideas?!?

I also find when I'm trying to be nice to myself that I let more stuff go. I eat worse, I drink a bit more. I'm alot more lax. But it doesn't help the cause. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Hi Krohnie,

I am sorry that you where you are right now, but the good thing is you are taking the right steps by being on MFP!

I know how it is to be unhappy, not feeling as though there is a real part of your life that is all about you, you noted that you don't want to take time away from your family to spend time for yourself but I believe children really want mommy to be happy even if that means for a short time she is away - doing something for herself. I go to the gym early in the morning and have found that I really need that time just for myself - it makes the rest of the day much easier! Don't feed those thoughts that tell you, you don't deserve it - you most certainly do!!

I think if you take charge of your personal time, you will start feeling much better about other things, even taking control of your diet by eating healthier will help. In some ways you will then feel better and may start to see that girl you were in the woman you are.

Start small, take control of one meal each day and work from there.

Also, maybe you can find activities to do with your family, I have volunteered at my local food bank and I always see parents with their children volunteering, and that work is a nice workout!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was a lost soul in college... I was dating a jerk for 4 and a half years and stopped taking care of myself. I was downright disgusted with myself and felt like I wasn't good enough at anything, even existing. I took a course in college called Psychology of Religion. We had to read a few religious/self-help type books. I'm an atheist but these books helped me anyway. Substitute the word "God" for "nature" or "greater good" and it spoke just as well to me. I ate up the life advice being offered, ended up giving away most of my stuff and somehow developed a new outlook on life. I've been happier ever since. When I start to feel down, I page through those books and feel almost instantly better. I'll go run to the bookcase and edit some titles in here for you.

ETA: I moved a couple of months ago and can't seem to find most of the books... I could only find one called Thank You For Being Such a Pain... but that's not really about yourself, it's about others.

From observing myself and others, I realize that people change so much as they grow. I am a lot different now than 5 years ago and unrecognizable from my teenage self. I think that if you stop wanting to be somebody you WERE and focus on figuring out who you ARE then you may discover a lot of good things about yourself. I wish I had some advice on how to do it, but if you stop putting yourself down and just focus on being the best version of who you currently are you may find it easier to be happy with yourself. Who you WERE doesn't matter much anymore and who you ARE is only temporary. Once you figure out who you are now, you can look to the future at who you want to be and make it happen.

If you're not against speaking to a psychologist and you have the money, I encourage you to seek one out. They can be incredibly helpful when it comes to figuring out happiness. There's such a nasty stigma about seeking professional help, but we all need somebody to talk to sometimes and there's nothing wrong with talking to somebody who is trained in how emotions work and how the human brain adjusts to life. I loved going to therapy. It helped me sort a LOT of issues out. Some things I didn't even realize were holding me back until I blurted them all out one day.

It REALLY sucks to feel lost and it's really easy to look at the good times in our past and wish we still had them, but the future isn't set in stone. You can make it what you want.
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Most of my life I have played the victim card. I was an unwanted pregnancy, had health problems from an early age, was bullied all through school, and became obese early. Instead of working to change things or improve my life, I played the "oh your poor thing" role, absorbing sympathy to get what I wanted. And actually? I was miserable. Utterly. Suicidal at times.

The advice given in some posts above mine are exactly the kind of thing I wish someone had told me when I was in my 20's. You have to find your own motivations, your own goals, and you have to do all your best not to let the opinions and lives of others make you feel like you should be doing something else. Like if Person A really longs to be a professional chef, but they choose to go into the medical field (which they suck at) in order to please Daddy. Sure, that person's father would be proud of a doctor or nurse or what have you, but he's not going to like knowing that his child is miserable in their job cuz it's not what they really wanted from life.

My train of thought derailed a little. What I'm trying to say is, find something that means a lot to you. It doesn't matter how big or small. Even if you think to yourself, "ugh I should be doing _____." If it means something to you, then it's exactly what you should be doing. Start with this. Hopefully as you pursue this thing you love you will find happiness before you even realize it.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    Tao of Inner Peace helped me when I was going through a rough patch in life.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I also find when I'm trying to be nice to myself that I let more stuff go. I eat worse, I drink a bit more. I'm alot more lax. But it doesn't help the cause. Any thoughts?

move away from the thought that you are being nice to yourself by treating yourself to a little extra food or an extra drink. Schedule treats and drinks into you diary so you don't go without, but try to see that you can treat yourself just as well with other things. For me it's a treat to go have a long bath or to go for a walk by myself (I have 2 kids so I don't really get a lot of time to myself), but clearly you have to choose what would work for you.

Happiness is a state of mind. Before you go to sleep think about what good things happened to you during the day. It can be little things, a joyful laugh, a penny found. You can write them down if you like in a journal type thing (like a happiness journal :smile: ). When you look at yourself in the mirror tell yourself at least one good thing that you like about your body. Smile at yourself in the mirror. Smile at other people, because most people seem to be compelled to smile back. :smile:
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I went through a major low time in my life starting about 4 years ago, and it just almost ended. It only ended because I finally realized that living unhappy was not really living at all. In fact, i think I've been depressed most of my life, yet I always have been resilient, so maybe it's that I've been aware since early in my life about my setbacks but I tend to work hard for everything I have, yet my weight is something I always let go of. It seems, sometimes I'll never get a grip on it, but I'm re-starting my commitment now!
    I feel very much like you, I read so many blogs, advice columns, anxiety books, etc. I try everyday to think of things I'm grateful for, I say a little prayer and hope for the best.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I do feel like I'm getting to the point where I'm not really living anymore. I'm so focused on the negative and on trying to find the one thing that will flip the switch for me, a gadget, a video, a piece of exercise equipment, but none of that works without some internal support and belief. That's what I'm trying to find. I don't want to continue to drag my family along for this bumpy depressing ride.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options

From observing myself and others, I realize that people change so much as they grow. I am a lot different now than 5 years ago and unrecognizable from my teenage self. I think that if you stop wanting to be somebody you WERE and focus on figuring out who you ARE then you may discover a lot of good things about yourself. I wish I had some advice on how to do it, but if you stop putting yourself down and just focus on being the best version of who you currently are you may find it easier to be happy with yourself. Who you WERE doesn't matter much anymore and who you ARE is only temporary. Once you figure out who you are now, you can look to the future at who you want to be and make it happen.

It REALLY sucks to feel lost and it's really easy to look at the good times in our past and wish we still had them, but the future isn't set in stone. You can make it what you want.

This is what I needed to hear. It's great advice. How I can do this is a whole other matter. But thanks