Exercise ideas w/o equipment.

Options
It's been a very long time since I did any sort of exercise and I was wondering what some good exercises are such as planking, walking, etc. I don't have access to a gym and I don't have any funds that I can put towards work-out equipment. Also, is it safe to run while pushing a toddler in a stroller? I have an all-terrain stroller.

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym. Look those up.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Exercises not requireing equipment:

Planks
    Squats
    Lunges
    Crunchs
    Pushups
    Pull Ups if you can get something to pull yourself up on
    Dips (between chairs?)
    etc

And yes, it's fine to run with a toddler, I've done it before. Just try to stay on smooth surfaces and don't go out when it's too cold as it will be twice as cold for the little one.
  • Brandi_Allison
    Brandi_Allison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Running is the best workout! You get results, and it has the 'afterburn' affect. I have gone running with my niece in a 'running' stroller and it wasn't that bad. It is more difficult than normal just because of the extra resistance. Try it out and see how you feel. If not, walking is better than not doing anything :-) Good luck!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a great workout.
  • BlackandWhitePhotoOp
    Options
    Running, jogging, walk/jog, Calisthenics, yoga, etc. I have a fitness challenge group you can join. The name of the group is called, "countdown". We do calisthenics, in addition to our regualar fitness goals. I've lost alot of inches being in these groups.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym. Look those up.

^This

I'm doing convict conditioning myself. All you *really* need is a pull up bar, but frankly, even a tree branch will work for that.

I put together my own chin up bar from $100 worth of galvanized steel from the hardware store.
  • ThomasRGrady
    Options
    To be honest, there are a number of things in the exercise database which you can look at including shoveling snow, gardening, housekeeping etc., etc. I burned over 1200 calories yesterday shoveling 8 inches of snow from around my house and driveway.

In the home, if you have a TV, then any number of exercise shows are available. Personally, I use golf during the summer as my primary exercise 3 times a week, but during the other 5 months I do whatever I can to exercise.

Some cheap tricks - Take a 1/2 gall on or one gallon plastic milk container and fill it with water to use like weights. If it gets too easy, change the water to sand. You can do a number of exercises for all parts of your body this way. Just look for dumb-bell type exercises. Any strength exercise is also a calorie burner.

Hope this helps!
    Dancing! You can dance all around the house and burn calories. Just crank the music up and twerk away ;-)
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    In addition to what other people said ...

Do you have steps in your home? Go up and down them, over and over. I've done it holding a kettlebell, too. Any weight would work, if you want to ratchet it up a notch.

Jumping jacks. Here's a twist: Don't bring your arms lower than your shoulder when you do them.

Research other exercises. You can find them online.

If you can do 10-12 exercises back-to-back for 1 to 3 minutes each, with a 1-minute break every 10 minutes, you've got a nice circuit training routine that can burn a good amount of calories in just a half an hour. I usually do about 5 or 6 types of exercise for 1 or 2 minutes each, and repeat until I get to at least 30 minutes.