I hate it....I love it...

Options
Exercise that is. The anticipation of going to the gym or getting on the treadmill is dreadful. I try and not think about and just do it. If I think about it the anxiety of how hard it's going to be builds. Of course it's never as hard as I imagine it to be.

THEN, after my workout I feel amazing. The natural adrenaline boost is fantastic and helps to lift my mood for the rest of the day.

Anyone else have intense (short-term) anxiety, followed by a great natural high?

How do you manage your pre-exercise anxiety?

Replies

• joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do understand where you are coming from. I often dread going to exercise, but feel AWESOME and PROUD when I have finished. I guess I need to do it a lot more often to remember that GOOD feeling. I've gotten so bad about exercising since some personal issues developed at home.
  • joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    but, I didn't answer your question, did I? Sorry.

I don't actually have a way to manage the pre-exercise stress.

I'm looking forward to the other feedback you get here to help me, too.
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes of cardio before I'm feeling good. After that, completing 30 minutes or even an hour isn't too bad. The gym near my office has several TVs stationed near the treadmills, stair climbers, and elliptical runners. I try to time my workouts so that I get through my first 15-20 minutes while a show I like is on. Knowing that I'll get to watch House, I Love Lucy, or something else entertaining during lunch is enough motivation to get my butt out of my chair and away from all my spreadsheets :-p If I've burned 300+ calories during lunch, I'm even more motivated to try and hit the gym after work to see if I can break 500. Basically, it's just those first 15-20 minutes that kill me. After that it's all good for the rest of the day :)
  • cmlewis86
    cmlewis86 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I feel great if I exercise in the morning before I go to work. I am happier, I can concentrate better, and I'm not tired all day. However, for the life of me, I cannot make myself get out of bed even 15 minutes early to exercise. Early in the morning I just have no motivation.

I have found that music helps get me in the mood to exercise, especially angry 90's girl music like Alanis Morrisette. Also, look at old pics of yourself or pics of other people that are the size you wanna be...helps get me off my butt (in the afternoons that is!).:happy:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No pre-workout stress for me. Sorry, but I do Love to exercise and if it wasn't because I have other obligations I will probably live at the gym.

Just be positive and instead of worrying about the stress, just think how good you feel afterwards. Good luck!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I get a bit 'scared' when I am going to cycle a route that I know is going to really push me or do a run that I know could be beyond me, or injure me..... BUT THAT IS SOOOOO WORTH IT FOR THE FEELING I GET AFTER, I become an amazon, proud sexy oh yeah baby. N that is my hook to continuing this rollercoaster.... Go with it , see where it takes you!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I just get it over with! Otherwise, I will spend all day finding excuses not to exercise and will stress about it. But when I do it first thing in the morning, I feel great all day, like a proverbial weight has been lifted off my shoulders!
  • plainjoe81
    plainjoe81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    if i exercise there will often be calories for ice cream at the end of the day :-)
  • cmlewis86
    cmlewis86 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    if i exercise there will often be calories for ice cream at the end of the day :-)

very good point!!
  • BenEverJu
    BenEverJu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So do I!!! I don't know that there's a strategy... So far, I just push through. When I pull it together and get the exercise done, my whole day is better. I'm hoping that one day the way I feel afterwards overpowers my procrastination before.