Parents. How many presents?

Options
124»

Replies

• Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    We have all teenagers, so Santa is not really believed in no matter how hard I try to convince them that he does exist. The older boys are getting one big gift and some stocking stuffers, not sure on the 13 yo yet. He loves to read and has only requested a few small items.

On this, once we said we didn't believe, my parents were like "fine, no presents then!" So we immediately believed again. LOL:) We still to do this day, pretend Santa is real. It's just magical I guess. My brother is 31, and I'm 28 with a four-year-old and a two-year-old. So, why not? Why does it have to be given up? Why do get too old? It's just fun to pretend and to actually tell stories and make jokes. My kids love it. My dad even still dresses up! LOL:)

Megan:)
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    all grown up so just buy one gift for grandkids ,and small toys for four legged little boy
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My parents really went above and beyond for Christmas every year, so I tend to be the same way. Also, our son lives with his mom in another state and is our only so it's easy to buy him lots of gifts.

He's getting 7 gifts he said he wanted off his list, plus we'll send some clothes and books. He's also getting presents from his many sets of grandparents, his mom, Santa, and other family so he's one spoiled little dude.
  • Inara_Serra
    Options
    My younger (12) son will get at least 1 from me, 1 from his mom, and 1 from his grandma. My older boy (14) ****ed up big time this year. He is getting coal, literally, from each of us. Tough love. It is killing me to be honest. I will probably cry when I see his face. I bought him a really nice watch a couple of months ago for Christmas, but he isn't getting it till his birthday in May.

I'd be interested to see if you do stick to your guns. It's tough, good luck :drinker:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am not a parent but my friends are mostly parents to kids between ages 4-15. They seem to mostly stick around the $200 per kid range for gifts. A lot of them go for a bigger item like a phone, bike, etc, and then do the "something to wear, something to read, something you want, something you need" at around $10-20 per item.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was little, santa went all out and spoiled her with at least a dozen presents (I'm a single mom who makes good money and it's just the 2 of us) and then I would get her one gift.

Now that she is an adult, I usually get her one big ticket item (this year it's 2 legere reeds for her bassoon, they're $135 each) and then 4-5 smaller ticket items (clothes, music, books, etc)
  • Inara_Serra
    Options
    I don't have children, but my husband and I spoil each other with one big ticket item each, and then a bunch of smaller items. We also buy things for our cats (3 of them) and the cats buy for us...still trying to figure out where they get their money :laugh:
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    My kids are 14, 15 and 19.
    Santa leaves a new BluRay movie
    From us they are each getting a new bedding set and new pajamas.

This year we adopted a family for Christmas. It's a single mother with four kids. I bought them each a few sets of clothes and toys. We will also take them a full already prepared Christmas dinner. I have always wanted to do this since someone did it for me when I was a single mom. I am also hoping it teaches my kids the spirit of giving.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My kid is 19 now, she is an only and gets Hannukah and Christmas. No she does not get one gift per night at hannukah.

Now she normally gets one big thing and a lot of little things. This year she asked for an inexpensive item, but I bought her other stuff she didn't ask for just cause I would have had to buy them anyway.

When she was little she got more stuff. Usually the same amount of presents for each holiday from us. Most times there was one big one for each holiday and then a bunch of little stuff, $1 earrings, lip gloss, nail polish. When she was really small it was easy because the toys were cheap. I gave her big girl sheets when she was two and that is when she moved to the big girl bed. Boy was she excited. (we had my old bed and it was in her room since she was a baby). We spent what we could afford and that differed every year.

This year she is getting less because she has no money and has been using the credit card for so many of her other expenses. She is good and never complains. Asks everytime she uses the card, etc. So I can't expect more than that.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My younger (12) son will get at least 1 from me, 1 from his mom, and 1 from his grandma. My older boy (14) ****ed up big time this year. He is getting coal, literally, from each of us. Tough love. It is killing me to be honest. I will probably cry when I see his face. I bought him a really nice watch a couple of months ago for Christmas, but he isn't getting it till his birthday in May.

I'd be interested to see if you do stick to your guns. It's tough, good luck :drinker:

Well, the Mom and I are definitely sticking to our guns. We had a sit down with him on Saturday to break the news to him so it isnt a shock come Xmas morning. My Mom on the other hand... ugh. Grandmothers :/