What do I do with this Huge Frickin Squash ...

Options
BranMuffin86
BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
So bosslady randomly gives me probably one of the biggest squashes I've ever seen. I have no idea what to do with it. Anyone with any good squash recipes??

Replies

• Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of squash...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of squash...

Agreed. If we're talking a winter squash like buttercup or butternut, I could give a few recipes.

If we're talking summer squash - zucchini or yellow - then I'd recommend either stuffing or grinding up to use for baked good recipes like zucchini cake or zucchini bread. Once those get super big they're not too good for anything else.

Also, what's "huge". Like how many pounds?
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Roast it and add it to a risotto, or make soup with it. (Best for butternut and the like)
  • rbinms
    Options
    Hmmmm....decisions, decisions....

A buttercup or butternut, I'd cook it and then puree it into a nice, warm soup.

Yellow or Zucchini....if it's small ones I'd chop into 1/2" cubes and put into a veggie soup or.....
    - steam and serve on the side or......
    - use in a good stir fry recipe or.....
    - slice very thin along with onion and potato sliced as thin and saute on the stovetop using cooking spray and a pat of butter/margarine.

Some of the bigger squash will hollow out in the middle. If that's the case, you can cut it in half length wise and scoop out the seeds. Cook up a sloppy joe type filling made with lean ground beef or turkey. Spray the squash with cooking spray and put in the oven on 400 and bake for about 20 mins. Pull it out, stuff with sloppy joe mix and finish cooking for about another 20-25 mins. I've tried cooking the sloppy joe mix the whole time I'm cooking the squash and it tends to dry out a bit.

I'm sure you could use other stuffings but I like the sloppy job mix the best. :o)
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What kind of squash are we talking here?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    cook and eat. yum
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    IN for the title of "HUGE FRICKIN SQUASH"

:tongue:
  • BranMuffin86
    Options
    Bosslady says its a spaghetti squash/winter squash ... so I guess that's pretty self explanatory.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash!! Just google Jackson's Spaghetti Squash from the Biggest Loser. Awesome!!!

You can also make spaghetti squash pancakes.
  • thundrks
    thundrks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    this is the best way I have found to cook it, I've tried every method known to man...

cut it in half lengthwise (it's going to be really hard to cut, be careful!)
    scoop out the seeds
    microwave it for 8 minutes cut side up
    use a fork to get all the yummy 'spaghetti' out

my favorite is to add goat cheese and your favorite salad dressing - just mix it all together and eat it warm

It's great with a good chicken tomato sauce - just like regular spaghetti (that's what I'm having for dinner tonight)

you can put chili on it - yum
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love to roast it and then toss it with some herbed olive oil and grilled shrimp.
  • BranMuffin86
    Options
    Thank you! Think we have a winner here ^^^ You had me with the grilled shrimp!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love to roast it and then toss it with some herbed olive oil and grilled shrimp.

^^ This sounds amazing! I'm always looking fore new ways to eat spaghetti squash. Thanks.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I love to eat spaghetti squash like actual spaghetti... I will just roast it, shred it away from the shell and then top it with this recipe - http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/12/skinny-italian-meatballs-turkey-1-pt.html
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

This^^^

I also roast mine with olive oil... and in another pan make shrimp scampi.