30 Day Shred Question?

Options
I started today but I am wondering how often to do it? I have seen recommendations for two ways.

2 days of shred, 1 day of cardio, 2 days of shred, 1 day of cardio, 1 day off
Or
6 days of shred and 1 day off

Which one works better? And why?

Replies

• HBBBLALCLE
    Options
    It is not only cardio.
    My question is dvd everyday with 1 day of rest or mix it up with other workouts with 1 day of rest?
    What works better to get the results of lbs/inches lost.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't have any expert advice here, but you're about to discover muscles you didn't know existed. Because EVERYTHING is about to hurt. (Unless, you've already reached that point.) I tried to do it every day. I don't know if that was good or bad. But I burned out very quickly doing that and never finished. I will start over again soon and will definitely be taking it slower. I guess it depends on your current fitness level. For a newbie, such as myself, I highly recommend a rest day or two each week.
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    30 Day Shred is circuit training, which Jillian Michaels favors to combine strength training and cardio. You are supposed to do it - according to the program - 5-6x /week for 30 days. On her podcasts, Jillian says since becoming a parent she just looks for people to exercise 4x/week around 30 minutes (in terms of giving-it-your-all exercise).

So to answer your question I think what you are really asking is if you should do the program as it was designed or if you should deviate.

I haven't done 30 Day Shred, but I am in the middle of Ripped in 30 and did Insanity.

My approach is to do the program exactly as the fitness professional created it, and, IF I feel like it, do something extra when I want. So maybe I throw in a quick run or go lift weights with my husband. But I prioritize doing the program workout as my day's exercise. Otherwise, what's the point of doing the program?
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Also, since the 30 day shred has different types of workouts all together, I don't see the need in mixing it up with other workouts unless you're just bored.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels had recommended the first "2 days of shred, 1 day of cardio, 2 days of shred, 1 day of cardio, 1 day off" on a webcast. That makes more sense since some of the moves can be hard on the knees and back and there are weights involved. I don't know which works best as far as inches lost, I just know that if you get injured you won’t be able to exercise at all, so do what works best for you.

I'm in my second round of doing Ripped in 30 and I like that much better than the Shred. I lost a whole pants size the first time I did it.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I figure you're new to working out, and that's cool. The first thing you need to do is read up on how it all works so that you know what you're doing. A great book for that is New Rules of Lifting for Women. Even if you don't decide to lift, it will help you tremendously. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • knt6741
    Options
    Do whatever you think you will be most consistent with. I got really bored doing the same level over and over so I would do the 30DS 3 times a week and mix it up with other workouts. The weights are so light in the 30DS that I don't really consider it strength training. It's still pretty much cardio. You might want to consider throwing in a day or 2 of strength training in the mix
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    When I did 30DS, I did it Mon-Fri and took the weekends off. I'd add on some additional cardio each day too (I had the time/energy/desire).

I'm working my way through Ripped in 30 right now. I'm just doing it 2-3 times a week, and adding in cardio and a full body weight weights session too.

As JJJJ25 said, I think I had the better experience doing the 30DayShred in almost 30 days (I did appreciate having those weekends off or available for a makeup session if I missed one during the week). I haven't felt that my Ripped experience has been as effective spreading it out as I have.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 9 of level 1, and I do it 3x a week with 2 other days of pure cardio and 2 rest days. I like rest days. I like to imagine my muscles knitting themselves together, stronger. As I sleep in instead of getting up at 5am.

Try whatever works for your schedule for a couple of weeks. Keep track of your weight and measurements. Change it up if you're not getting reasonable results. When deciding what's reasonable, be...reasonable.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    30DS is absolutely cardio, same as BodyPump or any other class that happens to use weights while getting and keeping your heart rate up. If you're going to pair it with anything else at all, I'd add more actual strength training twice a week. But you don't really need to add anything else. Doing it 5 days a week and taking 2 days off will work just fine.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    For someone who already has a base set of muscles/fitness, everyday is great.

For someone who doesn't have the fitness, I don't see how you could do it every day. I was doing it every other day and that was kicking my butt and it was perfect. A few months later, I can totally do it every day.

So you shouldn't try to plan too strictly! Just get started and when you are feeling sore, do something else that day to workout and/or work different muscles.
  • HBBBLALCLE
    Options
    Thanks so much sound like I will do 5 days a week a day for some extra strength and a day off.

Losing baby weight for the 3rd time and it seems to get harder with each kid!